2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

So what are the engine displacement issues in other countries? Doesn't Thailand, for example, tax vehicles based on engine size?

It may make sense, or be mandatory, to offer smaller engines in certain markets...but that doesn't mean the same vehicles sold in the US have to use the same drivetrains.

I would really like to see this sold here, but I would not be surprised if Ford did not offer it in order to force people into the more expensive F150 Raptor.

I think as far as the Ranger Raptor is concerned Ford will be forced to offer similar models to their competition, meaning the Colorado ZR2 and the Tacoma TRD Pro, if they intend to compete in the midsize market. Unfortunately, they may also take the safe route and only match them as far as capability rather than try to blow them out of the water. For example, they could offer a Ranger Raptor with a 2.3L EB or the 3.3L base V6 from the F-150 instead of one of their EcoBoost V6's. That would be a disappointment but it wouldn't really surprise me.

Not sure if this was asked before, but is 2019 Ranger going to be aluminum bodied or steel??

Based on the fact that essentially the same truck is already being built in three other plants worldwide I doubt they will be using aluminum any time soon. Although I could see some bolt on parts like the hood and fenders being aluminum for our market, assuming there is any difference between those parts for the North American version versus ROW, which I also doubt. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if the hood is already aluminum.

• Like 1

If my conversion is right, the 170 Nm comes out to 265 ft/lbs of torque. So the same amount of torque my 2003 F150 has. In a lighter package. I could live with that.

No, the 2.0 Ecoblue has around 160-170 hp and 270-300 lb ft depending on the actual tune used.

I wonder if Autoblog is conflating two things happening together with the Ranger,

a Raptor and the 2.2 Puma being replaced by a new more efficient 2.0 I-4 diesel.

A 2.0 TCDI Raptor is the equivalent of a Focus ST with a 1.0 Ecoboost...

i mean why would Ford put their smallest diesel engine available in Ranger in a Raptor,

save for capacity tax in Asia, it makes no sense for other regions, especially where

VW Amarok has a powerful TT V6 diesel......

Edited by jpd80

Ecoblue 2.0 in different state of tune is replacing the Puma 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 in Ranger and Transit. Not sure about the 3.2.

I would have expected the 3.0 V6 diesel in the Raptor (if rumor that 3.0 V6 is replacing the Puma 3.2 I5 is true)

• Like 1