2019 Chevy Silverado

Anthony

You do realize Chevy trucks have a crapload of those horrible terrible fleet sales you despise so much.....

Silverado has consistently had a lower fleet sales percentage than Ford F-Series. Some fleet sales of pickup trucks (any model) should be expected because they're pickups. Majority of all full-size pickup truck sales in the U.S. are to retail customers.

Fleet is undesirable from a profitability standpoint, including for pickup trucks. But retail sales of full-size pickups are so lucrative especially for Ford and GM they make up for the low or no profit fleet units.

Reguardless if you like it or not they do deserve recognition for actually stepping out of the box and taking a risk. The tech in me wonders if all new truck, with possible all new powertrain, if the quality rating tried and true crap Chevy talks about will take a hit. I would not buy job 1 units.

Reguardless if you like it or not they do deserve recognition for actually stepping out of the box and taking a risk. The tech in me wonders if all new truck, with possible all new powertrain, if the quality rating tried and true crap Chevy talks about will take a hit. I would not buy job 1 units.

Personally, to me, they played to safe, again. There is a zig-zag character line along the side I like, but the rest is typical GM. But it is a handsome truck that I'm sure Chevy buyers will flock to.

I'm more intrigued by the rumored carbon-fiber bed. Expensive, but incredibly durable. You can expect Chevrolet's "Ford uses weak aluminum for their pickup beds" advertisemnts to really ramp up once their carbon-fiber bed is on the market.

• Like 1

Personally, to me, they played to safe, again. There is a zig-zag character line along the side I like, but the rest is typical GM. But it is a handsome truck that I'm sure Chevy buyers will flock to.

I'm more intrigued by the rumored carbon-fiber bed. Expensive, but incredibly durable. You can expect Chevrolet's "Ford uses weak aluminum for their pickup beds" advertisemnts to really ramp up once their carbon-fiber bed is on the market.

True. Although, I respect Fords higher road approach as of late by not mentioning your competitors in commercials. I would like to see a carbon fiber repair comparison. Not to mention a few jabs about how gm says aluminum is ok now they are doing it.

True. Although, I respect Fords higher road approach as of late by not mentioning your competitors in commercials. I would like to see a carbon fiber repair comparison. Not to mention a few jabs about how gm says aluminum is ok now they are doing it.

Good point about carbon-fiber repair cost. It ain't going to be cheap, and good luck trying to find a shop that will repair carbon fiber.

But an interesting full-size pickup year ahead with the new GM products, a new Ram, and the established F-150. We'll see what happens.

Definitely not a fan of the disjointed side character line. It willl be interesting to see the standard chrome and body color versions of the front. To me it might be too busy on the front. Hopefully this will push ford to get rid of standard halogens a lower models. Obviously Chevy will continue with hid and led.

But retail sales of full-size pickups are so lucrative especially for Ford and GM they make up for the low or no profit fleet units.

Your constant ignorance of the profitability of commercial fleet sales is very tiresome.

Commercial fleet sales (especially trucks and vans) are extremely profitable.

• Like 3

Wonder if it has the same leaking front axle seals they've used since 1997.

• Like 1

Agreed. This is the most interesting Chevy I can recall. Is it ground breaking, no, but for them it might be. I love competition, so let the games begin...

Looks like the cab has grown. Borrowed the notch under the headlights from the SUVs. Overall, pretty ugly.

Silverado has consistently had a lower fleet sales percentage than Ford F-Series. Some fleet sales of pickup trucks (any model) should be expected because they're pickups. Majority of all full-size pickup truck sales in the U.S. are to retail customers.

Fleet is undesirable from a profitability standpoint, including for pickup trucks. But retail sales of full-size pickups are so lucrative especially for Ford and GM they make up for the low or no profit fleet units.

Yeah, since Ford doesn't make billions from those "unprofitable" fleet sales.........

----

A few thoughts:

-I'll be interested to see it in regular trims, and how all the black will look chromed (probably too busy).

-I don't absolutely hate it, but I don't love it either.

-From the A-pillar rearward, it looks like it could be a next-gen Tundra if you didn't know it was a Silverado.

-I don't mind moving away from the massive headlights that trucks are getting these days, but these look too pinched by the extra panel that splits the headlights. That said, I do think this version of the headlight notch is better than the Tahoe/Suburban one, as the body line continues down from there, not just a random extra headlight growth like on the SUVs.

-The mirrors don't look as bad as I thought they would.

-Nice to see some rounded wheel openings.

-I wonder what the interior looks like - the current one is ugly (I don't know how people say it's the nicest out there).

• Like 1

Like most of you I don't care for the front end (looks cartoonish and overwrought, kind of like the 2016 Camaro), but I think Chevy (and GMC) will be very successful with this truck. The GM loyalists will lap it up, and I think it's aggressive and sleek enough to win over some Jap truck buyers who wouldn't normally buy a GM truck. It's certainly the most aggressive truck design they've put out, maybe ever. That said, I don't think the F150's leadership will be too seriously challenged. 2018 will be a battle with Ram in 1Q; GM 3Q.

What do you guys rate the probability of an actual Raptor competitor from GM with this new generation truck?

Ram could have done one since they had the parts in the Mopar catalog to create the Ram Runner but chose not to do a production version.

Frankly, they are missing out on good profits and the Raptor is missing out on the competition.

Edited by tbone

Super Duty is an absolute cash cow thanks to the prices paid by both

retail and fleet and Ford also sells very few genuine bargain basement

XL trim work trucks and single cabs.

So the prices of super and crew cabs are just cashing in on what lots

of buyers want. Besides commercial fleet sales help to keep Ford"s

three truck plants buzzing on three shifts during winter

Edited by jpd80