2019 Focus Powertrain Options

I'll assume the 2.0L is going away and we'll see the 1.5 Ecoboost in it as the highline engine?

No clue on transmission

Maybe not on the 2.0L going away. It still shows as a 2020 engine for Ford and there's nothing wrong with it. But that tranny needs to be replaced with the 6F35 for sure.

Maybe not on the 2.0L going away. It still shows as a 2020 engine for Ford and there's nothing wrong with it. But that tranny needs to be replaced with the 6F35 for sure.

Do keep in mind its being used in the Ecosport also...which might be the reason why it's on that document. Or it might show up in the Gen Z CUV also.

I'd expect more downsized engine options for the next gen Focus-not to mention if the lower cost models are coming from China, they would be taxed more because of the engine size and why complicate assembly with more build options?

1.0 EB base

1.5 EB optional

2.0 EB ST

8 speed auto across the board

6 speed manual may be optional in the ST

2.0 DI only makes sense if Ford wants to peruse a volume strategy, which we know they have decided against. So I expect Focus to only have premium EB engines. No more S, and SE will have the much higher level of standard equipment (basically downgrading SEL to the base model). I expect all 5 door model non ST will be "Active" with raise suspension.

1.0 EB SE 4 door

1.0 EB SE Active

1.5 EB SE 4 door

1.5 EB SE Active

1.5 EB Titanium 4 door

1.5 EB Titanium Active

2.0 EB Platinum 4 door

2.0 EB ST 5 door

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1.0 EB base

1.5 EB optional

2.0 EB ST

8 speed auto across the board

6 speed manual may be optional in the ST

2.0 DI only makes sense if Ford wants to peruse a volume strategy, which we know they have decided against. So I expect Focus to only have premium EB engines. No more S, and SE will have the much higher level of standard equipment (basically downgrading SEL to the base model). I expect all 5 door model non ST will be "Active" with raise suspension.

1.0 EB SE 4 door

1.0 EB SE Active

1.5 EB SE 4 door

1.5 EB SE Active

1.5 EB Titanium 4 door

1.5 EB Titanium Active

2.0 EB Platinum 4 door

2.0 EB ST 5 door

So the active will be a raised hatch? Similar to the Mini Countryman or even higher off the ground?

Are we sure about the JV 8AT being used or will Ford go for the new Getrag 7DCT300 7-speed wet clutch powershift.

Or was the change from 9AT to 8AT a move to cover more product and do away with the need for the Light Powershift

Edited by jpd80

Maybe the 2.0L is going to stay around as a Hybird/PIH engine.

Ford has been clear that they only see hybrid or PIH in larger vehicles. They are all in on pure EV on anything smaller than midsize, which is basically the same strategy that every other car company is pursuing.

So I think its safe to say that there won't be any Focus Powerboost or Focus Energi. It's going to be Model E variants covering the EV field in the compact size class. We will see Powerboost or Energi options on Explorer, Edge, F-150, Mustang, and maybe Fusion.

Edited by bzcat

Autocar claims Focus Active will have AWD option... I'm not 100% sure it will happen but it's not difficult for Ford to offer it that is for sure.

They also seem pretty sure that Focus EV will return. Which I think will be a surprise based on what we know about Ford's EV plans.

The new Focus is unlikely to grow in length or width, but is tipped to have about 50mm more wheelbase to match its rivals for rear leg room. It will also deliver weight savings of around 50kg, model for model, although precise figures are still being calculated. Efficiency will be high on the agenda: Ford will undoubtedly improve on the current car’s aerodynamics. It will also launch a new all-electric version as one of one of a dozen electric cars promised last year by European chief Farley. The company has also been experimenting with hybrid models, already successful in its US line-up, but there are no sure signs yet of a Focus hybrid.

The Focus's engine range will depend heavily on the successful 1.0-litre Ecoboost three-cylinder petrol engine — available in 99, 123 and 138bhp versions — and is likely also to offer 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre petrol units in several power outputs with up to 275bhp to drive its ST-line and 'full fat' ST versions. The staple diesel will again be the 1.5 TDCi, although a 2.0-litre diesel may still be offered for ST performance models. Ford is likely for the time being to stick with its the six-speed Powershift twin-clutch gearbox as the European automatic option.

One certainty is that Ford will launch a high-riding Focus Active, along lines established by the recently revealed Fiesta Active, to take advantage of burgeoning demand for 'lifestyle' models. There will be several models: base cars will have a regular front-wheel-drive system, but there is likely to be an optional four-wheel drive utilising hardware from the existing Kuga SUV.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-ford-focus-prototype

3 different 1.0 EB output

1.0 EB 99 hp

1.0 EB 123 hp [This is the one current available in US market]

1.0 EB 138 hp

I think there will be two different 1.5 EB output (I'm guessing)

1.5 EB ~160 hp

1.5 EB ~180 hp [i think US market will get this one]

(the one announced for Fiesta ST is 197 hp)

And only 1 version of 2.0 EB for Focus ST

2.0 EB ~250hp

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Fiesta Active is FWD only I think?

I think Focus Active is fine with just FWD but AWD won't hurt. The question is if Ford will restrict it to just the hatchback or will the wagon be available in Active form as well (recall the defunct Focus X Road)

1024px-Ford_Focus_X-Road_%281%29.jpg

• Like 1