Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AWD System Binding in Reverse?

clunk awd escape

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FirefighterGeek

FirefighterGeek

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 29-April 17
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Escape Titanium

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

I've got the 2017 Escape Titanium with the Cold Weather package for New England.

I've had the issue where when reversing, for example out of a parking space, and turning the wheels, I get a solid "clunk" in the drive system.  If feels like a rear differential binding, as much as you can feel anything from a driver's seat.

At the first oil change, the tech agreed it was there and spent the day on it, not finding anything mechanical.  He eventually replaced the AWD control module.  The problem seemed to go away, but it's been back a few times since.  Not as often, but it is there.

My thought is this:  Could his replacing of the module been successful not because the module was bad, but because in doing so he disconnected the battery long enough to reset something in either the AWD module or some other control system?    Could this whole thing be a sensor or control problem?    Could it even just be the sort of thing that the car does and I should just ignore it and get on with my life?

My current plan is to ignore it for a while.  I have the extended warranty.  I'll report it when I bring it in for service and if it's a real thing, enough other people will report it that eventually there will be a service bulletin that either says "replace part #xxxxx" or else says "tell the customer to shut up".   Either way, I'm fine with it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·