Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

Exactly! Two other problems with the name "Zephyr" are as follows:

1. Without taking a deep dive into the word, lots of folks out there really don't know exactly what a "Zephyr" is. Once upon a time, I know I sure didn't.

2. The word "Zephyr" rhymes with "heifer," which brings to mind an image of something big, bloated, and slow.

VW also names cars after breezes or wind. Golf, Jetta, Passat are also names for winds in German.

I never understood how/why they thought people would pronounce something spelled "MKZ" or "MKX" as "Mark Z" or "Mark X"...

I thought that was a pretty standard thing in Europe where Mark is used to denote generation (MK II Focus e.g.). Not that North American consumers would know or accept that necessarily.

Letter names seem to work well for brands like Audi and BMW. The MK and model letter are separated and of different size. Most people don't seem to notice that.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2017-lincoln-mkz-3-0t-awd-instrumented-test-gallery#7

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/lincoln/mkx/2017/photos-exterior

Edited by MKX1960

Gotta love Lincoln logic.

We need a change in perception for Lincoln so let's replace all those fusty old person names

with letter codes that mean nothing to this generation of buyers and when that fails, we'll just

go back to those same old fusty names but now call them heritage names.

Hipsters like old names, and retro stuff. Hipsters have money, even though they dress like they don't. Lincoln wants that money.

Lincoln has the advantage that even non-car people know old Lincoln model names. When you say you have a Navigator most everyone knows its a Lincoln.

Looks like there will be something else at LA for sure.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/11/27/la-auto-show-preview/108063092/

"Ford Motor Co.’s luxury brand, Lincoln Motor Co., has the most to prove. As has become standard for the Dearborn-based automaker, it’s kept plans secret. Lincoln announced a refreshed MKC crossover ahead of the show."

I will be shocked if Lincoln does more than one good thing each year...

Watching Lincoln's new product roll out is like squeezing diamonds,

it's taken this long to see new noses on MKC and MKX?

I don't understand all the complaints about the timeline of the MKC and MKX refreshes. MKC's might be a model year late, but it'll also be a short one. MKX's is lining up with it's typical refresh cycle.

The MKX reveal is most likely

Less likely is an Aviator concept (which I'm guessing will be at a later show).

I don't understand all the complaints about the timeline of the MKC and MKX refreshes. MKC's might be a model year late, but it'll also be a short one. MKX's is lining up with it's typical refresh cycle.

The MKX reveal is most likely

Less likely is an Aviator concept (which I'm guessing will be at a later show).

It's not about the freshness of the product, it about cohesion on the showroom, it just seemed to take forever to get this done.

I'll stop now because they are nearly here......

• Like 1

There has never been a Mark I series....it all started with Mark II, so a return to names would include the Mark series...

There was never any need to name the original Continental design Mark I because it was just simply the Continental. Mark followed by a roman numeral was used in European fashion to indicate a subsequent revision of an initial product.

Continental was a stand alone division of Ford from 1956-60. The Continental Mark II (1956-57) was a reboot of the original 1940-48 Lincoln Continental personal luxury car done in a modern style and content. In the same way that the Tbird was made a four seater for 1958, the Continental name was moved to the full sized Lincoln body and sold as Continental Mark III. Subsequent years were Continental Mark IV for 1959 and Continental Mark V for 1960. The Continental division was ended after 1960.

For 1961, the entire Lincoln line was redesigned and the Continental name was adapted and used as the sole Lincoln model. Fast forward to 1968 and the Lincoln Continental Mark III was introduced as a 1969 model. It returned the Continental personal luxury coupe based on the style of the 1956-57 Continental Mark II. Lincoln decided to pick up where the Mark II personal luxury coupe left off and named it Continental Mark III, effectively ignoring the years 1958-60 which were full-sized Continentals based on Lincoln bodies.

There were no Lincoln Continental Mark VIIs after 1985 and there were never any Lincoln Continental Mark VIIIs. The 1986 Mark VII dropped the Continental name and they were simply known as Lincoln Mark VII through 1992. The redesigned Lincoln Mark VIII was the subsequent final model for 1993-98.

There is no reason to use Mark as a name again unless Lincoln wants to pick up where the Lincoln Mark VIII left off, which was a personal luxury coupe. If Lincoln does make a personal luxury coupe again, it should be the Mark IX and not the skip to the X crap.

The remaining vehicles needing a name:

MKC = Mariner, in keeping with a nautical theme.

MKT = Replaced with Aviator as Explorer based companion like the first one was.

MKZ = Reverts back to Zephyr.

Edited by StangBang

just-imho

the Z-replacement will be too different to keep any naming

&tho

considering the "X"factor,

I go with MARK with no number or Mark 9

or Mark 10 or even Mark Ten

It would be silly and meaningless to name a vehicle just Mark. As I have stated before the meaning of Mark is to note a change or update to a series and a roman numeral usually follows it. It all got out of whack a when Lincoln decided Mark LT would be the name of their truck but I sort of see the logic of marking the designation of a Lincoln Truck. The original MK naming scheme was supposed to mean Mark and even in Europe MK is often the abbreviation for mark followed by a Roman numeral. With the MK naming scheme using a different third letter with each model, it seemed like a Lincoln way to say Model A, Model T, etc. However it failed and confused most everyone.

So the only acceptable name to succeed in the Mark series of Lincoln vehicles is Mark IX right where the Mark VIII left off, otherwise find another completely different name.

As far as MKZ going back to Zephyr it could happen for historical relavence, or it could go with a completely new name. If it uses an all new name, Lincoln needs to abandon any other classic names it has used before. Continental and Navigator are really Lincoln's most recognized successful names.

just-imho

the Z-replacement will be too different to keep any naming

&tho

considering the "X"factor,

I go with MARK with no number or Mark 9

or Mark 10 or even Mark Ten

It would be silly and meaningless to name a vehicle just Mark. As I have stated before the meaning of Mark is to note a change or update to a series and a roman numeral usually follows it. It all got out of whack a when Lincoln decided Mark LT would be the name of their truck but I sort of see the logic of marking the designation of a Lincoln Truck.

The original MK naming scheme was supposed to mean Mark and spoken as Mark. In Europe MK is often the abbreviation for the word mark followed by a Roman numeral. With the MK naming scheme using a different third letter with each model, it seemed like a Lincoln way to say Model A, Model T, etc. However it failed and confused most everyone.

So the only acceptable name to succeed in the Mark series of Lincoln vehicles is Mark IX right where the Mark VIII left off, otherwise they can find another completely different name.

As far as MKZ going back to Zephyr it could happen for historical relavence, or it could go with a completely new name. If it uses an all new name, Continental and Navigator are really Lincoln's most recognized successful names.

Edited by StangBang

So the only acceptable name to succeed in the Mark series of Lincoln vehicles is Mark IX right where the Mark VIII left off, otherwise they can find another completely different name.

It would make sense to jump to Mark X, as Mark IX was applied to a concept car. If Microsoft and Apple can jump from 8 to 10 (Windows and iPhone), there's no reason Lincoln can't.

• Like 1

It would make sense to jump to Mark X, as Mark IX was applied to a concept car. If Microsoft and Apple can jump from 8 to 10 (Windows and iPhone), there's no reason Lincoln can't.

Mark X was used on a concept car as well. Mark IX was in 2001, Mark X in 04.

Mark XI it is!

Edited by OHV 16V