Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

November 21, 2017 @ 12:01 am

Michael Martinez

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171121/OEM03/171129947/lincolns-freshened-2019-mkc-gets-new-mesh-grille-tech

AR-171129947.jpg

Lincoln is updating the vehicle that it says draws the most customers from rival brands in hopes of further accelerating growth in a stalling luxury market.

The freshened 2019 MKC compact crossover features new infotainment and safety technology and the mesh grille found on Lincoln's newest products, including the Continental and MKZ sedans and the Navigator SUV. The 2019 MKC is due in showrooms next summer.

Full story at ink......

The MKC is really nice, but I just don't see a bunch of folks starting at their Lexus or Infiniti and thinking..."...I can't wait to replace this thing with a Lincoln..." There needs to be some breakthrough bold marketing to swing the pendulum.

While I am no fan of Samsung (or Apple for that matter) I love the bold new TV ad campaign pointing out all the things we hate about an IPhone over the past 10 years and then saying: "Upgrade to Samsung Galaxy" The keyword there saying upgrade! Going right after the Gorilla and telling the public your product is simply better. And the audacity of Kia - targeting Lexus and BMW: "...while you were basking in your leadership...we forged a new path..." That is the kind of bold stuff Lincoln needs.

Edited by Kev-Mo

While I am no fan of Samsung (or Apple for that matter) I love the bold new TV ad campaign pointing out all the things we hate about an IPhone over the past 10 years and then saying: "Upgrade to Samsung Galaxy" The keyword there saying upgrade! Going right after the Gorilla and telling the public your product is simply better. And the audacity of Kia - targeting Lexus and BMW: "...while you were basking in your leadership...we forged a new path..." That is the kind of bold stuff Lincoln needs.

IMO If you have to mention your competition in your advertising, you've already lost the battle..all your doing is giving them "free" advertising.

I have zero desire to get rid of my iPhone for a Samsung...never been impressed by Android devices-used to switch between an iPhone and Android and just got fed up with how badly my Android phones (normally top of the line HTC phones) didn't hold up after 2 years or use. Heck outside of battery life, my Iphone 6 Plus was still going strong and was in excellent shape. I just got a Samsung TV (got a great deal on it) and I like it so far...hopefully it offer flawless performance like the Vizio TV I had before it.

IMO If you have to mention your competition in your advertising, you've already lost the battle..all your doing is giving them "free" advertising.

I have zero desire to get rid of my iPhone for a Samsung...never been impressed by Android devices-used to switch between an iPhone and Android and just got fed up with how badly my Android phones (normally top of the line HTC phones) didn't hold up after 2 years or use. Heck outside of battery life, my Iphone 6 Plus was still going strong and was in excellent shape. I just got a Samsung TV (got a great deal on it) and I like it so far...hopefully it offer flawless performance like the Vizio TV I had before it.

Given the amount of money that Samsung now makes off of each iPhone sale, they probably don't mind which you buy.

I'm hoping all that pedestrian detection, and advance collission stuff is standard. I'm annoyed that luxury car manufacturer's feel safety is something you should charge a premium for.

Oh please - you’re paying for it either way. I do think most of them should be standard but that doesn’t mean they’re cheaper.

It is maddening if Lincoln is in fact passing on the new automatic because management believes the certification costs are not worth the benefits. I would think Lincoln would be anxious to get the new transmission in all their front drive based vehicles as soon as possible. The new transmission should provide a premium driving experience compared to the 6 speed with better acceleration, somewhat better fuel economy , and improved shift quality otherwise why bother to spend hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) to develop it. Seems as if Ford is still dragging its feet giving Lincoln the resources it needs to make the brand competitive in the luxury field.

It is maddening if Lincoln is in fact passing on the new automatic because management believes the certification costs are not worth the benefits. I would think Lincoln would be anxious to get the new transmission in all their front drive based vehicles as soon as possible. The new transmission should provide a premium driving experience compared to the 6 speed with better acceleration, somewhat better fuel economy , and improved shift quality otherwise why bother to spend hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) to develop it. Seems as if Ford is still dragging its feet giving Lincoln the resources it needs to make the brand competitive in the luxury field.

Or maybe it's because the transmission isn't in production yet:

Livonia isn't supposed to start building them until early next year

• Like 1

what part of not in production yet did you not get?

If it's not ready, it's not ready.

I thought this is the CUV that would get the name "Nautilus". Maybe it will be next gen? A nautilus is a small sea creature, so I thought that the small entry level product would be a perfect for it. Besides, the name sounds much cooler until you find out what it is because of Jules Verne naming a ship after it in his most famous novel.

Driven in a normal fashion...that is less than WOT...the current 6F50 and 6F55 transmissions provide a very smooth and refined driving experience. I have only sampled Honda's and Chrysler's 9 speeds and they are junk in terms of driving refinement compared to Ford's 6 speed. I haven't tried the JV transmission in a GM car so maybe it is better.

I do agree that from a perception standpoint, Ford appears to be lagging in the transmission area. Also, when driven aggressively, the 6F55 in high powered applications shifts way too slowly and detracts from the feeling of power from the twin turbo V6s. That can be fixed with aftermarket tuning but only a hooligan like me would do that. I hope that when Ford finally does have the new gearbox, they have upgraded it to handle higher torque. The one used in current GM vehicles will not handle the high torque turbo V6s.

• Like 1

With this mug coming out on the MKC, the MKX shouldn't be that far behind...maybe the new transmission will debut in that product first? Although Ford has been very quiet on what it's being released on....

Yeah, I'm guessing MKX will be at the LA show, since this debuted before.

The thought has been that the Edge/MKX would be one of the first pairs to get the new transmission. And it would make sense for them to get it rather than MKC because their refresh is slated to last a traditional 3 years, vs MKC's year and a half or so.

I thought this is the CUV that would get the name "Nautilus". Maybe it will be next gen? A nautilus is a small sea creature, so I thought that the small entry level product would be a perfect for it. Besides, the name sounds much cooler until you find out what it is because of Jules Verne naming a ship after it in his most famous novel.

I thought it was possible, but as I pointed out earlier in the thread, I think it's a good thing they retain the MKC name until a full redesign. No need to tarnish that name's image (not to say this MKC is bad) with a lightly refreshed vehicle.

• Like 1