Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

Lincoln's freshened 2019 MKC gets new mesh grille, tech

November 21, 2017 @ 12:01 am

Michael Martinez

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171121/OEM03/171129947/lincolns-freshened-2019-mkc-gets-new-mesh-grille-tech

AR-171129947.jpg

Lincoln is updating the vehicle that it says draws the most customers from rival brands in hopes of further accelerating growth in a stalling luxury market.

The freshened 2019 MKC compact crossover features new infotainment and safety technology and the mesh grille found on Lincoln's newest products, including the Continental and MKZ sedans and the Navigator SUV. The 2019 MKC is due in showrooms next summer.

Full story at ink......

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I wonder if this early reveal means the refreshed MKX will be at LA as well.

That is what I was thinking too, show this now and then have a bigger MKX revel in LA, though that doesn't give them much for Detroit so this is probably it. It looks like all the change is bumper and grill, more importantly hopefully the quality has improved and should at least keep the family look until the new one in 18 or so months.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to think!

I see a few possibilities

1. This is a long 2019 model, which will be replaced along with the new platform Escape +Hybrid version for 2020

2. MKC might be seperating from Escape, and the new China Lincoln CUV will fill in at some point.

3. Escape and MKC have been delayed, and this will be around a 2 or 3 years.

4. Lincoln is being reviewed.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think!

I see a few possibilities

1. This is a long 2019 model, which will be replaced along with the new platform Escape +Hybrid version for 2020

2. MKC might be seperating from Escape, and the new China Lincoln CUV will fill in at some point.

3. Escape and MKC have been delayed, and this will be around a 2 or 3 years.

4. Lincoln is being reviewed.

I think this is just going to be a short refresh-the MKC launched in 2014 as a 2015MY and the Escape launched as a 2013 in 2012 it got a refresh in 2016 as a 2017MY.

New Escape launches in mid 2019 as a 2020 model and the new MKC as a 2020 1/2 or 2021MY in early 2020.

Do keep in mind that 2020 MY is only a year and half out or so.

That is what I was thinking too, show this now and then have a bigger MKX revel in LA, though that doesn't give them much for Detroit so this is probably it. It looks like all the change is bumper and grill, more importantly hopefully the quality has improved and should at least keep the family look until the new one in 18 or so months.

There's also the possibility of an Aviator 'concept' this season, and revealing this early could hint at that (with MKX being at LA by itself).

---

This change brings it in line with the rest of the lineup, which is all it was meant to do. I think it'll be a short refresh, with a 2 year (2019, 2020) max lifetime, clearing the way for an all new 2021 model (assuming they keep the staggered launch time like Edge/MKX, which launched in 2015/2016).

I'm telling you, if they put the new shnoz on the MKT, revamp the rear treatment and drop the MKT moniker and just call it Town Car...they will be able to remain relevant in the livery/black car/limo market as well as sell some at the dealerships..

Actually over my travels the past couple weeks, the Conti is filling that role with black car/livery/limo market...I haven't seen a stretch yet though...

• Like 1

I dont know what it means for the platform, but I do like the refresh. It will now blend with the other Lincolns in the lineup with the exception of the MKX. Ideally it would have had some powertrain upgrades, but I dont think the average joe pays as close attention to that as we do here. It looks new and different enough to draw some attention. Better than leaving it as is until the next gen arrives.

I dont know what it means for the platform, but I do like the refresh. It will now blend with the other Lincolns in the lineup with the exception of the MKX. Ideally it would have had some powertrain upgrades, but I dont think the average joe pays as close attention to that as we do here. It looks new and different enough to draw some attention. Better than leaving it as is until the next gen arrives.

MKX is getting the same change soon (probably at LA), so it won't be left out. MKT will be the only orphan (the one that needs it most won't get it....it's looks improve drastically with the Conti face) until its' ultimate demise in another few years.

Also something I just thought of - I'm glad Lincoln stuck with the MKC name for this, and will transition to a name with the next gen. Putting a name on this minor refresh would've hurt that new name's image......not saying this refreshed MKC is a bad vehicle, just that it's not changed enough to warrant put a name on it yet.

An example - I always thought it was a mistake to use the 200 name on the refreshed Sebring, as while it improved, it was still just a refreshed Sebring, and that's the image people got in their minds when they thought "200", which IMO hurt the drastically improved redesigned 200.

Now that said, MKC obviously doesn't have Sebring's reputation, but still, I think you all will understand my point.

• Like 2

MKX is getting the same change soon (probably at LA), so it won't be left out. MKT will be the only orphan (the one that needs it most won't get it....it's looks improve drastically with the Conti face) until its' ultimate demise in another few years.

Yes, I concur with you and Twintornado on the MKT. it wouldnt have cost that much to improve the aesthetics of the vehicle and develope some incremental sales.

On a side note, the limo driver I utilize uses an MKS which has 200k on the clock, with nothing but regular maintenance. The platform is robust I must say.

• Like 1

I'm telling you, if they put the new shnoz on the MKT, revamp the rear treatment and drop the MKT moniker and just call it Town Car...they will be able to remain relevant in the livery/black car/limo market as well as sell some at the dealerships..

I'd like to see the mkTC reskinned with the front of the X and the hatch from the C

&

I bet they could be made to fit