LED Headlight conversion on 2017 SD. Good idea or not?

HarryTitus

I am not a fan of the new LED tech. I'm old school I guess. I don't like how they look (on any vehicle, not just the SD), they blind oncoming traffic, they are expensive, and I have to wonder if some of them are in violation of DOT standards. But, be that as it may, I want to learn. I want to remain on the cutting edge (my first new car was a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang). I was running through some YouTube posts and ran across the post I include below. Looks convincing, not only the headlight application but the tail light stuff too, but before I go any further, have any of you had experience with these? My concern for the brightness is sound, but I also wonder if the heat these generate might have a detrimental effect on the plastic housings, will the daytime running light function still work, and etc. By the way, I do not work for, sell, or am connected in any way with the company that made the video...I just found it to be interesting. My dad always said, "if it's too good to be true, then it probably ain't".

Thanks

Harry

The problem with LED bulbs is that they don’t throw light the same way as a conventional halogen bulb so they’re not going to work optimally within a halogen designed housing. You really need a housing and projector designed with LEDs for proper performance including a proper beam cut-off, etc. Also, you may get more visible light near the truck but it may not illuminate down the road which is what you really need.

NicK Halstead over on fordedgeforum.com has a lot of good info on these replacement bulbs and there are several discussions over there that you might find useful. Or just PM Nick.