Ford Focus RS Head Gasket Failures

How many RS owners, after having their engine ripped apart, would you expect to be repeat Ford customers?

My guess would be a very low percentage.

Take your blue tinted glasses off and see it from the customers perspective. They get a new car, the car they should have had from the beginning, Ford takes the others back and fixes their screw up and you resell as CPO. Everybody wins.

Since your accusing me of having blue tinted glasses, might I remind you to quit looking through a microscope to find every little thing wrong...

I think your expectations for fixing the car are are down right crazy...your basically telling the company your working for to take a bath on a 40K car and replace it with another-that is completely unheard of in the industry. Your also setting precedence for people..why stop with a 40K car....why not a 20K Focus with a fucked up DCT transmission? Plus there is already lemon laws out there...let the lawyers figure out who is at fault with it.

exactly how many cars were effected ?....weve sold a bunch and even with our first ones, absolutely zero have had issues.

I think there might be a spreadsheet on one of the Focus RS forums, but considering the low number they are built in (2500 a year?) less then 100 where affected by this?

why not a 20K Focus with a fucked up DCT transmission?

Don't forget the frozen door locks on the F150. Or the people passing out from carbon monoxide in the Explorer. Or the bad driveahafts in the Transit.

Its almost like this company forgot how to build a safe, reliable car.

I thought I read somewhere that less than 50 owners had shown up on various message forums reporting that they had the problem. Based on Ford's response it almost seems like they have no idea how many cars might have received the wrong gasket. That in itself is pretty scary. You would think somebody somewhere would have records of part numbers and quantities and which VIN's got them. It's not as if we're talking about lost FBI text messages. I suppose they could be doing it this way just to keep all the Focus RS buyers happy even if they know exactly how many and which cars were affected.

• Like 1

I've been down this road with Ford in the past. I was one of the first '99 Cobra buyers to get an Extrude Hone intake manifold, new exhaust system and leather SVT jacket because of a few missing horsepower. I thought the car ran pretty well before all that. They also replaced the driveshaft later on because other owners were complaining about driveline vibrations. I still have that car.

I also had a 2002 Ranger FX4 that Ford replaced the entire rear axle assembly on because the Torsen differential was supposedly not heat treated properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 RS and had to have the gasket replaced. Depending on the out come of the leak test that the Tech performs dictates whether the gasket gets replaced or the whole head.
This was performed by a VERY competent Master Tech back in October. Since then I have put on more than 3,000 trouble free miles and I don't baby my cars.
All RS owners who purchased an RS starting from Job #1 in 2016 up to around August of 2017 will receive a letter concerning this issue form Ford. This amounts to over 30,000 vehicles globally.

Pioneer,
I wish I could have purchased my RS for $40,000. My Sticker was $43,895 fully loaded and NO "A" PLAN.

This shows up as my first post here but I have been a member of BON since 1999 under another user name (99SVT01?) when Ford was trying to have this site shutdown.

• Like 1