GM to offer 5k incentive for Escalade to combat new Navigator

fuzzymoomoo

New Expedition and Navigator are excellent and among the best vehicles Ford makes. Definitely competitive with GM's SUVs. Ford and GM now both have the most appealing entries in the segment. The Fords are better in some areas such as interior space, while the GMs are better in others such as V8 engine availability. Can't go wrong with either company if you want a really good full size SUV.

I don't think Ford will get very many conquest customers from GM with the new Expedition and Navigator. Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade customers are very loyal to GM. But Ford could end up killing Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada (Patrol) in the U.S., both of which are dated and not competitive with Ford and GM.

Armada just got redesigned as a QX80 clone (a fact that no review mentioned).

Armada just got redesigned as a QX80 clone (a fact that no review mentioned).

Yes sir, Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX80 in the U.S. are both versions of the Y62 Nissan Patrol. This generation Patrol debuted in 2010 and got a light refresh in 2014, though the U.S. didn't get the Nissan version until 2016. Nissan originally planned to make the Armada a variant of the second generation Titan pickup truck. They dumped that plan and decided to rebadge the Nissan Patrol as Armada for U.S. customers instead.

I like the high quality and luxurious interior in the current Nissan Armada and Infiniti QX80, but the design inside and out is getting old.

I agree, the GM triplets are entrenched, the Expedition and Navigator are great vehicles though. They'll sell well, but won't likely make a huge dent in GM sales.

Initially, I think Expedition and Navigator will do well. After the excitement dies down, it may come down to whoever is willing to put the most cash on the hood. GM has a lot at stake, so may be willing to do whatever it takes until they bring their new models out.

Edited by MKX1960

Initially, I think Expedition and Navigator will do well. After the excitement dies down, it may come down to whoever is willing to put the most cash on the hood. GM has a lot at stake, so may be willing to do whatever it takes until they bring their new models out.

When you are talking about vehicles with sticker prices bumping $80k, it's not all about the cash on the hood. On the lower trim models, sure, but the higher trim models will go to those who value more than just the bottom dollar. That's very evident with the sales of upper trim levels of F-Series trucks.

When you are talking about vehicles with sticker prices bumping $80k, it's not all about the cash on the hood. On the lower trim models, sure, but the higher trim models will go to those who value more than just the bottom dollar. That's very evident with the sales of upper trim levels of F-Series trucks.

Exactly, Limited and lower trims will likely get good incentives, while Platinum may see very little.

Nov 1 inventory for '17 Navigator was 1,400 and I'm pretty sure that number

is now much lower with around 700 with dealers nation wide at the moment.

Most of those remaining vehicles are Select (503) and Reserve (189)

Dealers only have around 56 of the 2018 Navigators at present....

Edited by jpd80

Just drove by my local Lincoln dealer this morning just to see - no 2018s yet.

Their website says they have a 2018 Black Label Navigator L in Rhapsody blue with the Yacht Club theme - price $101K, so it must be loaded. So it would seem it hasn't arrived yet.

they could be keeping it inside the showroom as a centerpiece at the moment.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a black Navigator in the wild on the Eisenhower right now. I love everything about it except Im not terribly enamored with the big chrome lightbar on the rear tailgate. Either Lincoln needs to come out with a blacked out version or the aftermarket needs to come up with a remedy for that, as I am not a big chrome fan. I would like to replace our QX 80 with a Navigator, so I could live with it, but I would like to see an alternative for that.

I just saw a black Navigator in the wild on the Eisenhower right now. I love everything about it except Im not terribly enamored with the big chrome lightbar on the rear tailgate. Either Lincoln needs to come out with a blacked out version or the aftermarket needs to come up with a remedy for that, as I am not a big chrome fan. I would like to replace our QX 80 with a Navigator, so I could live with it, but I would like to see an alternative for that.

Black label models have the fender badge smoked, maybe the rest of the chrome is the same and you could get one after the fact?

Do they have a real photo, or stock? I find that typically until they post a real photo they don't really have the vehicle.

Most Ford dealers don't shoot photos of their new vehicle inventory and instead rely on stock images. I shoot up to 32 photos of every new and used vehicle in stock and often have new vehicle photos online within hours of a vehicle's arrival.

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 4

Most Ford dealers don't shoot photos of their new vehicle inventory and instead rely on stock images. I shoot up to 32 photos of every new and used vehicle in stock and often have new vehicle photos online within hours of a vehicle's arrival.

Thats a good practice. Thats what people want to see.

• Like 1

Ah, you're seeking to establish a connection between potential buyer and an actual vehicle.

It's nice to see someone with actual selling skills..

• Like 2

I would hope they are not artificially suppressing supply.

In a way...

the Super Duty is selling red hot at the moment and Ford is pressing hard in that direction while it only builds the Utes in small amounts.

They maximize SD sales while burning through discounted '17 Expedition and Navigator stock, salted with a few of the new '18 models.

See, the '17s already have a 3.5 EB and 10AT 6AT as standard so the strategy has to be offering these with incentives but not too much

price gap to the '18s so that buyers also keep them in sight too.... a complex balancing act for sure, one that drives sales staff nuts.

At the moment, there's ~ 3500 '17s and ~ 1,000 18s showing nation wide... discounts seem to be in the order of $8K - $12K

Edited by jpd80

The '17s don't have the 3.5/10-speed combo, do they??

Correct , adjusted my post to reflect that they had 6AT.(incorrectly assumed a switched along with '17 F150)

Point being the older model is still well equiped with decent performance so seen as economic at discounted price.

At the moment, I'm seeing $8,000 to $12,000 discounts on mid and high series vehicles....

Edited by jpd80

Ah, you're seeking to establish a connection between potential buyer and an actual vehicle.

It's nice to see someone with actual selling skills..

The tough part is all the time it takes... Locate vehicle, park it behind the dealership to shoot photos against a neutral background, save photo with VIN number and order designation (VIN_01, VIN_02, etc.), brand dealership logo in lower left corner of photo w/outer glow effect, upload photos for all vehicles as a batch file via FTP site. Then run Smart Vincent to get accurate/latest rebate information and post rebates, dealer discount and Internet price online. It takes a good 45+ minutes for each vehicle but I think it's important to show prospective customers the actual vehicle and we get a lot of positive feedback which helps make it all worthwhile!

Photos are shoot in a specific order that's time efficient for the shooting and processing sequence... Front 3/4 Passenger Side, Front, Passenger Side, Rear 3/4, Rear, Front Driver's Seat (Remove plastic so viewer can see the actual seat color, etc.), Rear Seat, Instrument Panel, Exterior... Driver's Side Mirror, Trunk, Front Wheel Close-Up, Front Grille/Headlamp Assembly Close-Up, Rear Taillights w/Ford & Model Nomenclature, Rear Close-Up, Instrument Panel Close-Up, Odometer (Used), Navigation Screen, SiriusXM Screen, Climate Screen, SYNC Settings Screen, Rear Camera Screen Image, Center Stack (Audio, Climate, etc.), Console w/Shift Lever, Key Fob Close-Up, Start/Stop Button, Steering Wheel Controls (Close-Up), Steering Wheel, Lighting/AutoLamp, Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors, Power Moonroof, Driver's Side Mirror (Driver's Perspective). Used vehicle photos also include a photo of the Manufacturer's VIN/Certification Plate which is necessary for Ford ESP's.

Vehicles that are detailed for Showroom display are re-shot and uploaded to the websites to replace the original photos.

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 4

I've seen this happen many times before where an actual vehicle in stock photo like your doing suddenly becomes "my car" in the

mind of the buyer.... I've even done it myself and I will never again underestimate the power of emotional connection in a sale.

Once that happens, buyers will mostly look past any perceived sale impediments and "just want the bloody thing, make it happen".

Those photos are time consuming but to the end buyer, they are like magnets to the soul and dollars in the dealer's pocket..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1