Stock 2018 Mustang GT runs 12.02 sec @ 117mph (1.9 60 ft)

There are suggestions from those dyno testing the '18 Mustang that Ford may be understating the power out put.

and with that oh so glorious 7500 rev limit, there has to be a lot of head room to add even more HP.

A lot of dyno vidoes on Youtube. Talk is crank horse is more like 480-490.

2018/ 10 speed auto with a 3.0L Whipple supercharger made 755HP at the wheels.

• Like 1

If this 12.02 is not a fluke, the revised Coyote must be putting out way more of a power increase than what is advertised. The quicker shifting transmission in dragstrip mode would help, too, but to improve ET by around a second compared to the 2017 model is HUGE. Apparently, there is still somewhat of a traction issue since the 1.9 second 60 foot time is not very good. A set of drag radials could put the car in the 11s easily....again assuming this 12.02 is not a fluke.

Another big factor may be the new FI system which also allows for a higher compression ratio (from 11:1 to 12.01:1).

The displacement was also increased by about .084 liters (from 4.951 to 5.035) by increasing the bore from 92.2 mm to 93 mm which was made easier by the switch to PTWA spray bores.

The Gen 3 Coyote also has larger valves, new cams, etc., etc.

http://www.fordnxt.com/news/a-peek-inside-the-2018-mustangs-gen-3-coyote-engine/

• Like 1

What you say is true but it's really accentuated with the 10-speed auto as the 6MT won't get near those times.

We can probably get an idea of the engine's impact by comparing the '17 manual with the '18 manual.

I'm sure there will be a comparison between them, especially with the 3.7:1 gears.

This is a fantastic achievement but the greed in me would love to see what a cross plane crank 5.2 would do.

Edited by jpd80

There have been a couple of GT350s at my local dragstrip. With the flat plane crank, they sound wickedly good. However, their times were not stellar. Of course they were manuals and not driven by pro dragracers but they appeared to lack low end torque. I was told that they were very difficult to launch without bogging. The 10 speed could help them, though, since the powerband appears to be pretty narrow and they like to rev.

There have been a couple of GT350s at my local dragstrip. With the flat plane crank, they sound wickedly good. However, their times were not stellar. Of course they were manuals and not driven by pro dragracers but they appeared to lack low end torque. I was told that they were very difficult to launch without bogging. The 10 speed could help them, though, since the powerband appears to be pretty narrow and they like to rev.

Ahhh, the sound of that FPC with the engine control system blipping the throttle to match revs for the automatic like only a professional driver could with a manual. All at the hands of your ordinary Joe on a road course.

The 7 speed from the GT would be pretty sweet though too.