18 vs 20 in wheels

Nonrev59

I did go look at some trucks yesterday and I'd have to say, I did like the look of the 20's. Big tire. One was on a metallic type wheel. Not the standard chrome one. I thought it looked better on that rim. Just my opinion. Some say that because of larger sidewall the 18's tow better. Or better to air down if necessary. Not sure when that would be if your not off roading. Guess deep snow. But those 20's are fat so I would think they would do a good job. Long as you had some good tread.

What size spare tire did your truck come with. A 20 or I have heard, 18".

Honestly, I haven't checked, but I believe the spares are 18" and not 20".

I did go look at some trucks yesterday and I'd have to say, I did like the look of the 20's. Big tire. One was on a metallic type wheel. Not the standard chrome one. I thought it looked better on that rim. Just my opinion. Some say that because of larger sidewall the 18's tow better. Or better to air down if necessary. Not sure when that would be if your not off roading. Guess deep snow. But those 20's are fat so I would think they would do a good job. Long as you had some good tread.

I have the machined aluminum 20's on mine, but I actually prefer the chrome ones.

I think the 20's would tow better than the 18's due to a bit less flex in the sidewall. A little stiffer tire makes for better towing due to less bounce and less sway. I think that's all just a matter of opinion though. The only reason to air down would be rock crawling or deep sand, but I don't know if there is a difference in the ability to air down between the 18's and 20's.

If you get the AT tires, the Good Years that come on the 18's are a bit more aggressive tread than the 20" Michelins. That's the big negative I see in the 20's...the AT tread just isn't aggressive enough to be call an AT tire.

I agree with ya Fordmantpw. I did like the machined 20’s. Maybe I’m lazy. Looked easier to keep up. That’s what made me look twice at them. Yes I agree with that tread difference. The GoodYears were more aggressive tread that the Michelins. Think that was really the only choices on the AT tires factory. I was just getting the 18’s before I started this back and forth. I was pretty much ordering a 2018 F250 6.2 CC w/4.30.......Then of coarse i see a 2017 6.7 CC with 20’s that day and I was crap. 10 grand off ends up the same within 2 grand of what I’m thinking of ordering. Thought I had made up my mind on the diesel part. If they would just let me drive each up the Blue Ridge and back. LOL....I know that the diesel would be great with towing elevations but wont be towing except traveling. Hopefully that gets to be more and more in a few years. Not even positive on trailer. Guessing under 10,000. So trying to make a decision on truck that I wont second guess down the road. I can see the forums are pretty 50 50 on the 6.7 - 6.2.... Wow what a ride. And to think I was just getting another 150..... The 6.2 gas mileage seems pretty crappy for most of my daily driving. Not that disel is getting a lot more and boy that price does go up but boy that 6.7 for mountains.... Here we go again..................

I still wish they were 15". LOL. The biggest reason the wheel sizes have gone up over the years is to accommodate the larger calipers. Aluminum to save weight. But, back to the thread.....bigger is costlier. When you see how much these tires cost at replacement time you will wish they were smaller. Further, visually there isn't that much difference between the two. Several guys have posted they didn't even know how big they were and went out to measure them. As far as towing/sway/sidewall height, well, the Kevlar belted tires are pretty stiff and minimize tire generated sway issues. So, my 2 cents worth, stay with the 18's.

Harry.

Edited by HarryTitus

Appreciate the opinions. After missing out on 2 trucks because I was still trying to make up my mind on things. I finally made a decision on a truck that my dealer found. It is very close to one that I wanted that was at a dealer that I really didn’t want to buy from and they wouldn’t transfer to mine. So acually I do like this one better so it has all worked out. Just stayed with the 18in Goodyears AT. Thanks.....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...