What's the right time to buy Mustang with specific configuration

dimabor69

Hi everyone,
I have one question about right time to buy a car but first a little of background why I'm asking:
I'm very interested in and thinking about buying 2018 Mustang GT somewhere in 2018. After reading specs and going through Build-and-Price procedure I am set on configuration I want - GT Fastback, Automatic, Equipment Group 301A, Active Valve Exhaust, and maybe Performance Package + Adaptive Dampers (MagneRide). I chose one color but I'm more flexible in this and couple of other colors would be OK too.
Now Ford have good incentives for 2017 year models and I tried to Build-and-Price 2017 Mustang with similar configuration and check available inventory and found no cars in radius of 125 km with anything close to my selected configuration. This made me thinking that if I want some particular configuration then I will probably need to tell a dealer what I want and they will order this configuration to be built on a plant (am I correct in my understanding of how this works?). But if Ford is no longer making 2017 model year then I'm out of luck and will have to accept whatever inventory is left and either won't get configuration I desire or will have to pay extra hundreds or thousands of bucks for installed options I don't need which basically eliminates all the joy of current incentives.
So my question is: if I want some particular configuration is it more wise to shop while current model year is still in production and try to save some other way (like using X plan pricing) then taking a chance waiting for model year end incentives and risking not getting what I want at all? If so then when is usually a deadline for Ford current model year manufacturing? Is it somewhere in July, August? I could ask a dealer but for them the best time to buy a car is always NOW so their answer will not make a lot of sense for me.
Does anyone have some shopping experience in similar situation?
Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Not sure why this wasn’t answered, but nobody ever knows what incentives will be ahead of time. Since there won’t be a lot of changes on the 2019 Mustang you probably won’t see huge incentives on leftover 2018 models. I’d say if what you want is hard to find on the lot just go ahead and order a 2018 to be safe. Or wait and see what happens with the leftover 2018s and then order a 2019 if you can’t find a 2018.