Polestar 1 (Volvo's performance brand) Debuts

rmc523

Awesome! Exciting stuff. Outside of our 3 kids being born, building our house was probably the most exciting thing I've ever done. My wife drew our plans herself (then had them blueprinted). It took her longer to draw the plans than it actually took to build the house..over a year from beginning to the final design!

Ours was just over 7 months from breaking ground to moving in. That's a crew of 3 guys (plus the subs) with me chipping in for some of the finish work.

You folks don't have tornados to need shelter from. 99% of houses here have basements.

Hmm....guess my reference is my parents house they designed/built......it took years, but there was a lot involved in that......moving a cul-de-sac, seawall, etc., not to mention the contractor (someone my mom went to high school with, by the way) who decided to rip them off and take money but not pay sub-contractors that turned into a whole legal thing, so that didn't help with the progress......

Hmm....guess my reference is my parents house they designed/built......it took years, but there was a lot involved in that......moving a cul-de-sac, seawall, etc., not to mention the contractor (someone my mom went to high school with, by the way) who decided to rip them off and take money but not pay sub-contractors that turned into a whole legal thing, so that didn't help with the progress......

Wow, that sounds like a mess. We don't have anything fancy like cul-de-sacs or seawalls here, and living in the country, no permits or inspections either.

We were fortunate with our builders. It's actually two brothers and the son of one of them. The one brother is our neighbor, and they are well known in the area for quality work and being very meticulous. In a small town of 1100, if you do shoddy work, everyone will know about it. It couldn't have gone more smoothly, and the move was easy since we only moved about 1/4 mile (as the crow flies). :)

Wow, that sounds like a mess. We don't have anything fancy like cul-de-sacs or seawalls here, and living in the country, no permits or inspections either.

We were fortunate with our builders. It's actually two brothers and the son of one of them. The one brother is our neighbor, and they are well known in the area for quality work and being very meticulous. In a small town of 1100, if you do shoddy work, everyone will know about it. It couldn't have gone more smoothly, and the move was easy since we only moved about 1/4 mile (as the crow flies). :)

Yeah, it was a whole ordeal. Lots of codes and inspections here with hurricane ratings.

Around here they build new subdivisions and put in all the roads and utilities up front, so by the time the builder is ready to start it only takes a few days to get the building permit and there are plenty of subs.

Curious (and you don't have to say if you don't want), but how big is your lot and how much $$$ does a lot run in the area? I think it's interesting to see the difference in land costs in different areas. There's a 5 acre tract in our town for $36k, and that's rather high for our area.

Curious (and you don't have to say if you don't want), but how big is your lot and how much $$$ does a lot run in the area? I think it's interesting to see the difference in land costs in different areas. There's a 5 acre tract in our town for $36k, and that's rather high for our area.

Bahahaha.....here you have small lots on the water without houses that go for a few hundred thousand at least.

Around here they build new subdivisions and put in all the roads and utilities up front, so by the time the builder is ready to start it only takes a few days to get the building permit and there are plenty of subs.

They've done that in a lot of areas around where I live, but construction hasn't really boomed as much as I think they anticipated it would when the housing market recovered.

I'm guessing the massive amount of cheap foreclosures for sale around here stunted new construction.

The lot is around 2/3 acre but it wasn't priced separately. In this area the going price in a nice developed subdivision is around $100K - $120K/acre. If you go out into the undeveloped rural areas you can get it for $20K-$40K/acre.

By contrast if you go 20 miles to Alpharetta which is in Fulton County it's probably closer to $150K/acre or higher.

Bahahaha.....here you have small lots on the water without houses that go for a few hundred thousand at least.

Oh yeah, I know, and for us Midwesterners, that's crazy! Very nice houses around here, with 3-5 acres can be had for $200k or less.

The lot is around 2/3 acre but it wasn't priced separately. In this area the going price in a nice developed subdivision is around $100K - $120K/acre. If you go out into the undeveloped rural areas you can get it for $20K-$40K/acre.

By contrast if you go 20 miles to Alpharetta which is in Fulton County it's probably closer to $150K/acre or higher.

I guess the $168k we paid for 48 acres isn't too bad. :hysterical:

Of course ours is undeveloped, we had to put in our own driveway (1/4 mile), drill a well, and pay to get electricity to the house.

Don't forget that almost all subdivisions here come with tennis courts, a pool and a clubhouse. Some have lakes or ponds and other common areas. All of that gets factored into the cost of the land along with the utilities.

And HOA dues and rules and regulations. Blech! Maybe it's not as bad in your area, but I've seen some as bad as not allowing a truck parked in front of the house. Really? Sheesh!

Good luck on the house build. Can't wait to see some pics and updates on the progress.

And HOA dues and rules and regulations. Blech! Maybe it's not as bad in your area, but I've seen some as bad as not allowing a truck parked in front of the house. Really? Sheesh!

Good luck on the house build. Can't wait to see some pics and updates on the progress.

A lot of places down here have that. I could understand that one years ago when trucks weren't as nice, but nowadays trucks can be really nice.

Or having to get your house paint color approved, or certain landscaping approved, etc. Just seems stupid to me.

HOA dues are $500-$1000/yr. Our last one wasn’t bad but some are downright tyrannical. It usually gets bad when you have board members who are retired or don’t work and have nothing better to do. The only real issue we had was having to ask permission before doing things on the outside. We tried to find land outside a subdivision but couldn’t. For that view and golf course access I can put up with it.

But that’s not the issue. What if your neighbor decides to paint his house neon green, never cut the grass and leave junk cars in the front yard? Nobody would ever buy your house and your property value goes way down and you have zero recourse.

Houses in my old neighborhood sold within 1-7 days for top dollar. Why? Because every house in the neighborhood was well maintained along with the pool, tennis courts, playground, lakes, baseball/soccer field, etc. etc.

Like I said - I was never denied any modification requests or told to do anything other than refresh the mulch and get rid of some weeds. The things that were against the rules are things you wouldn’t want to do anyway.

But thats not the issue. What if your neighbor decides to paint his house neon green, never cut the grass and leave junk cars in the front yard? Nobody would ever buy your house and your property value goes way down and you have zero recourse.

I basically live next to that right now. When we bought the house last year right we had to outbid 3 other couples and the house wasn't even on the market a week.

But that’s not the issue. What if your neighbor decides to paint his house neon green, never cut the grass and leave junk cars in the front yard? Nobody would ever buy your house and your property value goes way down and you have zero recourse.

Houses in my old neighborhood sold within 1-7 days for top dollar. Why? Because every house in the neighborhood was well maintained along with the pool, tennis courts, playground, lakes, baseball/soccer field, etc. etc.

Like I said - I was never denied any modification requests or told to do anything other than refresh the mulch and get rid of some weeds. The things that were against the rules are things you wouldn’t want to do anyway.

It all depends on the area...my old house was in a new development, but the area around it was economically depressed because of the lack of good paying jobs (biggest industry in the county was warehousing jobs-the Chrysler plant that was in Delaware hit the area really hard) and it didn't help that the county was in the top 15 for drug trafficking (it was directly in-between Baltimore/Philly)...I had more people getting killed 10-15 minutes from my house with a population of 130K or so people in the county then where I live now....then again the county in NJ I'm in now is in the top 2% of income in the US county wise.

The town I live in now had the same problem...housing goes really quickly because its in the sweet spot for pricing and has a good school system and has great shopping within 5-10 minutes of your house. I don't have an HOA either-which I had at the last house along with a lovely $400 a year bill to pay for the sewage system- but thats better then being a on well I guess :)

...but thats better then being a on well I guess :)

You must not appreciate a nice glass of fresh, untouched well water. Mmmm, yummy!

We paid $30+/month for city water at our last house. We were near the end of the line, and the water was always full of iron deposits and we had to change our whole-house filter every 3 months. If there was a problem with the line, the sediment would make it through the filter and we'd be drinking brown water. A neighbor ruined a whole load of whites not knowing the washer was filling with brown water. The chlorine taste was nasty as well. Yuck! It was a no-brainer putting in a well at our new house instead of connecting to the public water supply.