Polestar 1 (Volvo's performance brand) Debuts

rmc523

How's the new house coming? Do you have a planned move-in date?

We just finished the final design and upgrades and finishes a couple of weeks ago. We're waiting to meet with the builder to review it. Hopefully he's getting permits now. Should be right at 6 months or so before it's ready.

Not sure how much I shared before but this is a completely different builder, plan and location than the one we had scoped out earlier this year. That one fell through because the developers couldn't agree on how to move forward so about $4M worth of land is just sitting there unable to be sold. The new one is a bit more expensive but way better in every way. We lucked out. I'll post some pictures later.

We just finished the final design and upgrades and finishes a couple of weeks ago. We're waiting to meet with the builder to review it. Hopefully he's getting permits now. Should be right at 6 months or so before it's ready.

Not sure how much I shared before but this is a completely different builder, plan and location than the one we had scoped out earlier this year. That one fell through because the developers couldn't agree on how to move forward so about $4M worth of land is just sitting there unable to be sold. The new one is a bit more expensive but way better in every way. We lucked out. I'll post some pictures later.

Only 6 months to build a house?

well yeah obviously a builder would do it

The OOOOOOOOOO still stands though.

It doesn’t cost any more to custom build, you just have to wait longer. We had our last house built (picked out the lot and floor plan - didn’t do any customizing though) 22 years ago. This one is customized but we hope it’s the last house we purchase. Plan to retire within the next 5 years or so.

Ouch!

I'm dreading what it will be when my daughter starts driving. She'll be 15 and able to get her permit in < 8 months.

I have one turning 16 soon, you dont even want to know what its going to cost at Chicagoland. Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

Did you have to go further outside the city to find property on which to build?

Well we’re already in the north Atlanta suburbs. These are two of the fastest growing counties in the country so there is a lot of new construction - you don’t have to go very far to find something new.

Awesome! Exciting stuff. Outside of our 3 kids being born, building our house was probably the most exciting thing I've ever done. My wife drew our plans herself (then had them blueprinted). It took her longer to draw the plans than it actually took to build the house..over a year from beginning to the final design!

Only 6 months to build a house?

Ours was just over 7 months from breaking ground to moving in. That's a crew of 3 guys (plus the subs) with me chipping in for some of the finish work.

Yep all stick framed. Most have basements but ours is on a slab because we’re getting old and don’t need stairs!

You folks don't have tornados to need shelter from. 99% of houses here have basements.

Edited by fordmantpw

Awesome! Exciting stuff. Outside of our 3 kids being born, building our house was probably the most exciting thing I've ever done. My wife drew our plans herself (then had them blueprinted). It took her longer to draw the plans than it actually took to build the house..over a year from beginning to the final design!

You folks don't have tornados to need shelter from. 99% of houses here have basements.

We took the builder's plans and made some slight modifications. They have their own architects so it was easy. I actually like this one even better than the custom plan we had chosen last year.

And we do have plenty of tornadoes. We get 2-3 per year in the area. Had a small one go right between our starter house and the neighbor's house back in 1992 and took out 2 trees in between the houses and a big oak in our backyard - but no house damage. We'll just have to hide in a closet I guess.

We took the builder's plans and made some slight modifications. They have their own architects so it was easy. I actually like this one even better than the custom plan we had chosen last year.

And we do have plenty of tornadoes. We get 2-3 per year in the area. Had a small one go right between our starter house and the neighbor's house back in 1992 and took out 2 trees in between the houses and a big oak in our backyard - but no house damage. We'll just have to hide in a closet I guess.

I didn't realize you had that many tornados down there. My wife is petrified of storms, and we actually have a 'storm shelter' which is a concrete room under our front porch. It was a bonus room that just kinda happened due to the way the house was laid out.

I didn't realize you had that many tornados down there. My wife is petrified of storms, and we actually have a 'storm shelter' which is a concrete room under our front porch. It was a bonus room that just kinda happened due to the way the house was laid out.

I've seen folks build concrete safe rooms in the garage but mostly in Tornado Alley states.

I've seen folks build concrete safe rooms in the garage but mostly in Tornado Alley states.

Ours wasn't intentional, the builder just said "hey, we're gonna have foundation walls here anyway, want us to just make them full height and give you an extra storage room?" My wife's eyes lit up and she got her wish...a storm shelter. I'm happy to have a mostly fire-proof room for certain things...

The view from our backyard - our lot is on the right.

attachicon.gifHouse view 1.png

Side view (our lot is in the foreground. There will be a house across the street.

attachicon.gifHouse view 2.png

Wow, what an awesome view! You can see for miles!

BTW, can you change the name of the thread to "Polestar 1 not very exciting, let's talk about houses" please? :)

Edited by fordmantpw

Ours wasn't intentional, the builder just said "hey, we're gonna have foundation walls here anyway, want us to just make them full height and give you an extra storage room?" My wife's eyes lit up and she got her wish...a storm shelter. I'm happy to have a mostly fire-proof room for certain things...

Wow, what an awesome view! You can see for miles!

BTW, can you change the name of the thread to "Polestar 1 not very exciting, let's talk about houses" please? :)

I'll start a new topic in the off topic lounge for the house discussions. Pardon the interruption!

What are those hills in the background of the photos? Always thought Georgia was pretty much flat for the most part.

Kennesaw Mountain, Little Kennesaw Mountain, Red Top Mountain - we're in the foothills of the Appalachians which extend from the GA/Tennessee/North Carolina border to just Northwest of downtown Atlanta. North GA is quite hilly which is why it was so hard to find a flat lot for a slab foundation.

Kennessaw Mtn is a historic civil war battle site.