Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

8/9 Speed Transmission Time Line

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jcartwright99

jcartwright99

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 29-November 10
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Alright, I am trying to figure this out but seems there is different information out there. Someone around here must know something. I saw a report or rumor that Ford was making the 9 speed an 8 speed. Does anyone know the truth behind that? I also read that small cars should be getting this first. Wondering what that means, especially since the Fiesta may be axed here. If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. I am being asked by some folks who are looking at buying small/medium size car within the next 6 months and I have no clue. 

One thing is for sure, Lincoln desperately needs this transmission. There are not a whole lot of luxury makes rocking a 6 speed these days

• 2b2 likes this

2017 Ford Fusion

2017 Lincoln MKZ

2014 Ford Escape

2012 Ford Edge

2001 Lincoln LS

1990 Oldsmobile 88

1993 Honda Civic Si

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Blue Oval Fanatic

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Flex Limited w/ AWD

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Alright, I am trying to figure this out but seems there is different information out there. Someone around here must know something. I saw a report or rumor that Ford was making the 9 speed an 8 speed. Does anyone know the truth behind that? I also read that small cars should be getting this first. Wondering what that means, especially since the Fiesta may be axed here. If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. I am being asked by some folks who are looking at buying small/medium size car within the next 6 months and I have no clue. 

One thing is for sure, Lincoln desperately needs this transmission. There are not a whole lot of luxury makes rocking a 6 speed these days

I can't comment on the 8 vs. 9 speed part, but it sounds as if it'll go in a lot of different vehicles starting for the 2019 model year.  Likely Focus (redesign), Edge, MKC, MKX (refresh) to name a few, and I'm sure it'll spread across the rest of the lineup too.

Car of the Day:

2018 Lincoln Navigator L Black Label

k2NSDNS.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   92merc

92merc

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Joined 19-October 05
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2007Mercury Montego : 2003 F150 SuperCrew

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

The rumor was that Ford was having issues getting the 9 speeds to work well, especially with the Ecoboost engines.  Something wasn't up to par.  Ford figured out by dropping a gear things worked better.  But outside of rumors, that's all we've heard.

What's interesting is GM has released a few models with the same 9 speed.  Some of the reviewers have been commenting on odd shifts.  We're wondering if the 2 are related.  GM may have been having issues as well, but decided to just release them anyway.  Ford may have decided its not worth the chance.

#4 OFFLINE   jasonj80

jasonj80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

What's interesting is GM has released a few models with the same 9 speed.  Some of the reviewers have been commenting on odd shifts.  We're wondering if the 2 are related.  GM may have been having issues as well, but decided to just release them anyway.  Ford may have decided its not worth the chance.

The ZF 9 speed has also had shifting issues. Wonder if there is some weird inherent design flaw with a 9 speed.... Honda's 10 speed had been getting great reviews in their vehicles while the ZF 9 speed is a disaster.

Ford's new FWD will probably first show up on the 2019 Edge/MKX and Continental then spread across the line as vehicles are updated maybe it will show up on the new Transit Connect as well, I don't see them spending money on new certifications on vehicles that will be replaced in less than 18 months. (Focus, Escape, Fusion, MKZ, MKC) Ford could also be giving Lincoln's the 9 Speed version and Ford's the 8 speed. 

• 2b2 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined 24-October 08

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

If what I was told by a Lincoln rep holds true, mid sized CUVs, 2.0 Fusions and MKZs first. High HP AWD vehicles (2.7, 3.0 & 3.5 twin turbos) later. That may have changed by now. As of a year ago, the 9 speed was not up to the torque of high output engines with AWD.
  • 2b2 likes this

#6 ONLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2015 Focus

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

If what I was told by a Lincoln rep holds true, mid sized CUVs, 2.0 Fusions and MKZs first. High HP AWD vehicles (2.7, 3.0 & 3.5 twin turbos) later. That may have changed by now. As of a year ago, the 9 speed was not up to the torque of high output engines with AWD.

that may have been where that rumor that they dropped a gear and made it an 8 speed came from.

What? What happened?

#7 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined 24-October 08

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Is GM using it in any V6 AWD applications?

#8 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,839 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:Falcon 302 V8

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

New Traverse?

#9 OFFLINE   jasonj80

jasonj80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Is GM using it in any V6 AWD applications?

Traverse, Terrain, Equinox

#10 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,839 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:Falcon 302 V8

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Ford is still selling a ton of Escapes, Edges and Explorers, they have time to deliver upgraded models with 8/9-speed autos next year

#11 OFFLINE   jcartwright99

jcartwright99

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 29-November 10
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Ford is still selling a ton of Escapes, Edges and Explorers, they have time to deliver upgraded models with 8/9-speed autos next year

There is always next year

2017 Ford Fusion

2017 Lincoln MKZ

2014 Ford Escape

2012 Ford Edge

2001 Lincoln LS

1990 Oldsmobile 88

1993 Honda Civic Si

#12 ONLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Edge MCE due for MY2019. Good bet that's where it will come out first.

What? What happened?

#13 OFFLINE   papilgee4evaeva

papilgee4evaeva

La Voz de Razón

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2005 Buick Rainier CXL; 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

Edge MCE due for MY2019. Good bet that's where it will come out first.

I would have guessed a Lincoln model first, but you might be right.

CURRENT VEHICLES
2005 Buick Rainier CXL V8, 158K (mine)
2013 Ford Fusion Titanium, 48k (wife's)

PREVIOUS VEHICLES

1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited, 188K (wife's; donated)

2001 Pontiac Bonneville SLE, 126K (the Cruise Missile; started getting gremlins, plus we outgrew it)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD, 111-160K+ (stupid odometer) (sold to make room for the Bonnie)
1995 Dodge Intrepid (wife's; almost everything that could go wrong did; towed away stealthily)

FUTURE VEHICLES?

Some other sort of three-row family hauler (for us)

6th-gen Ford Mustang GT Coupe? (for me)

#14 OFFLINE   ANTAUS

ANTAUS

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts
  • Joined 22-November 99

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm excited to get my foot into one of these, I play alot with my accelerator cause I'm an aggressive driver, so loving to know how I'll confuse these...I can just imagine those numbers flying up and down as i play with the accelerator.  Honestly at 9/10 speeds I can only imagine how many time is "wasted" in just shifting...I did have a friends Cherokee with the 8-9 speed and it couldn't keep up, mosts of the time it was hunting...and it wasn't even realiable, after 3 months they had to replace the transmission (I dont its my fault), but it was those early units that has been giving Chrysler a headache.

• 2b2 likes this

#15 ONLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

MKX is due at the same time so probably both get it simultaneously

What? What happened?

#16 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Blue Oval Fanatic

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

MKX and MKC are both getting refreshes for 2019 as well.

I'm excited to get my foot into one of these, I play alot with my accelerator cause I'm an aggressive driver, so loving to know how I'll confuse these...I can just imagine those numbers flying up and down as i play with the accelerator.  Honestly at 9/10 speeds I can only imagine how many time is "wasted" in just shifting...I did have a friends Cherokee with the 8-9 speed and it couldn't keep up, mosts of the time it was hunting...and it wasn't even realiable, after 3 months they had to replace the transmission (I dont its my fault), but it was those early units that has been giving Chrysler a headache.

That inner Miami driver coming out eh?

• ANTAUS likes this

Car of the Day:

k2NSDNS.jpg

#17 OFFLINE   ANTAUS

ANTAUS

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts
  • Joined 22-November 99

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, but slowly more Miami is moving up to Orlando, so I've had to retrain myself in the art form of road rage again :(

• 2b2 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Blue Oval Fanatic

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, but slowly more Miami is moving up to Orlando, so I've had to retrain myself in the art form of road rage again :(

I drive to Fort Lauderdale to north Miami and back every day for work, and it's ridiculous.  If people would just get over if they're going slow/not clog up the left lanes, and figure out how to merge (not do the "Miami merge" where they have to go as far as they can and dart over at the last second, causing people to slam on the brakes), there really would be no traffic.  But there's too many idiots out there......I yell at them quite a bit when I'm by myself lol.

• ANTAUS likes this

Car of the Day:

k2NSDNS.jpg

#19 OFFLINE   jasonj80

jasonj80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

I drive to Fort Lauderdale to north Miami and back every day for work, and it's ridiculous.  If people would just get over if they're going slow/not clog up the left lanes, and figure out how to merge (not do the "Miami merge" where they have to go as far as they can and dart over at the last second, causing people to slam on the brakes), there really would be no traffic.  But there's too many idiots out there......I yell at them quite a bit when I'm by myself lol.

Still not as bad as Ohio Drivers. They like to slam on the brakes at the end of the ramp when merging.

• jcartwright99 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Blue Oval Fanatic

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Still not as bad as Ohio Drivers. They like to slam on the brakes at the end of the ramp when merging.

That's what I'm talking about.

---

Oh, and forget about leaving a reasonable distance between you and the car in front of you......someone will jump in there if you do that.

Edited by rmc523, 04 October 2017 - 09:59 AM.

Car of the Day:

k2NSDNS.jpg

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·