Big 3 shut out of NACOTY award

:hysterical:

But I said it first! :P

BTW my Kenmore branded whirlpool electric dryer just stopped heating so I have to go troubleshoot it and hopefully it's just a sensor.

That's another thing...it's almost impossible to find anyone local to troubleshoot appliances any more. It took over a month to get our fridge fixed due to not having anyone local that was certified by LG, wasn't on vacation, and didn't charge a fortune just to look at it.

Though I appreciate some of the features on the LG/Samsung, I still wouldn't do it. I make a conscientious effort to keep Americans employed when I can.

I am with you - I simply won't do it. Sending the profits out of the USA is a huge deal.

Again, the whole grbeck debate lives here too - because LG/Samsung can immediately repatriate their profits from USA operations, they are free of the burden of US Corporate tax. Thereby they can offer additional features at the same or only slightly more price point. Since Washington won't do anything about it, it is up to the US Consumer. Unfortunately, both our leadership in Washington (except for one guy) and the US Consumer are only looking out for themselves.

I sure hope you guys don't go to work one day and find out your company has been bought by Koreans or Chinese! Of course, this only happens to others...

My BIL used to work for Maytag until they shuttered the plant and moved production to MX (I think it was MX anyway...doesn't really matter). I guess his plant was one that made the other 20%...

Uhhh, maybe because LG and Samsung have used their free trade advantages to grab market share? Gobs of market share...Exactly the point I am trying to make.

BTW my Kenmore branded whirlpool electric dryer just stopped heating so I have to go troubleshoot it and hopefully it's just a sensor.

There are many step by step videos on youtube, as you probably know - if you can stand the shaky camera work they can be really helpful! Good luck, I followed the steps on one video and fixed my Whirlpool gas dryer for a simple $12 fuse.

There are many step by step videos on youtube, as you probably know - if you can stand the shaky camera work they can be really helpful! Good luck, I followed the steps on one video and fixed my Whirlpool gas dryer for a simple $12 fuse.

I've already done my own troubleshooting with my digital multimeter and the troubleshooting guide. Tried to order a thermistor from Sears because the parts store is close by. I order it online for store pickup at 5:15, rush to the store because they close at 6 only to find they've closed that location completely a few days ago. I call Sears parts direct and speak to some guy with an accent named "peter" who thinks the store is just closed for the day and will be open tomorrow. I finally convince him that he needs to just ship me the part (for free since I already drove 20 miles unnecessarily) and he says no problem you'll have it sometime next week. Good grief. Cancelled the order - I'll find it at the local parts store tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just call Wylie Coyote and let him fix it with Acme parts.

I've gotten pretty handy at fixing appliances. The washer had a bad circuit board (very common problem) with no permanent fix. I found a bad solder connection on one of the relays and resoldered all of them. Works fine now and that was about 15 years ago. Other people just threw them away because they wouldn't stay fixed more than a year.

The basement fridge got hit with a power surge and fried part of the circuit board. I had to solder a jumper wire to fix the circuit board but again it's working fine for years now.

Maybe I just found my new retirement hobby/side job.

• Like 4

Is the Whirlpool made in the USA?

Yes sir. My Whirlpool washing machine was assembled at their plant in Clyde, Ohio. In addition to Ohio, Whirlpool has manufacturing plants in Oklahoma, Iowa, Tennessee, and Massachusetts as well. I'm pretty sure that most Whirlpool appliances sold in the U.S. are assembled in the U.S. or Mexico.

Update - fixed the dryer and it was actually my wife who figured it out. The dryer had a 3 prong plug but the house outlet is 4 prong. I decided to make an adapter using a 4 prong dryer cord and a 3 prong surface mount outlet. Worked fine for 3 months.

The last test I did I straightwired the heater bypassing the control board relay and I was only getting 50 volts. Wife asked if maybe it was the adapter. At first I said no way because the adapter is pretty much a direct metal to metal connection with tight screws and I was getting current, but then I realized that would explain what I was seeing because the electronics only needed one leg of the 240v whereas the heater needed both.

Get out the voltmeter and sure enough there was a bad terminal inside the outlet adapter so it was only getting partial voltage on one leg. Direct wired the 4 prong cord to the dryer (which I should have done in the first place) and viola it works.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1