Updated Ecosport Revealed at Frankfurt 2017 Auto Show

I know at the Fort Lauderdale show a few months ago (it's tiny and doesn't have much, which is why I was really looking forward to the Miami show), they did have a locked pre-production model there. I figured since we're getting closer to it being available, they might have one open, but I won't find out now that it's been cancelled. :(

These numbers bear out my thoughts - despite the smaller overall dimensions (aside from height), the EcoSport has more room inside, at least on paper.

bzcat, on 16 Sept 2017 -04:58 AM, said:

CX-3 happens to be one of the most cramped one on the inside because it sacrificed room for style.

Where EcoSport really come up short (literally and furtively) is in cargo room vs. the likes of Encore, HR-V, Renegade etc.

Look at the shape of the two. the CX-3 is longer but the rear is sloped like a fastback whie the Ecosport is higher and squarer.

I'm beginning to think that the Ecosport will be different enough to the competition to see some clean air in the showroom...

It's easy to copy what all your competitors are doing, much harder to try a vehicle with different looks and feel,

this could be the vehicle that sways more than a few Focus buyers to Utilities.

I still want to see what Ford has planned in regards to short C utility - that vehicle type might really rip into compact car sales.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

where did you hear that, MKII?

He was talking about it at this years Geneva car show, as the big topic at that show was all the manufacturers making noise about adding a bunch of B & C class size Crossovers and SUVs to their line ups.

I got the impression he prefers these low roof car-like crossovers aka the Fiesta Active entry. Probably because the low cost to raise the stance and add some black plastic around the edges, call them a crossover and charge 10 grand more for the much better profit margin.

• Like 3

@jpd80, are you seeing many Citroen's small crossover C4 Cactus on the streets?

Apparently Jim Farley is a big fan of this odd looking vehicle. I am hoping Ford doesn't go this design route.

There's only 21 new stock total for sale on carpoint.com.au...so no, not a big seller.

I think our market is more like is more compact and mid sized Utilties/ cars and mid sized trucks.

The sub-compacts are there but not to any huge degree..Yaris, Trax, that sort of product.

Re Farley and Ford,

I just hope they get going with connecting to car and Utility buyers with new fresh products,

time to stop squeezing bucks and get going with product sizes that match or better the competition.

Ecosport and Fiesta Active would cover both sides of the subcompact utility market, now they

just need small and large C Utes and Bronco and Everest and while you're at it, a new Explorer.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

He was talking about it at this years Geneva car show, as the big topic at that show was all the manufacturers making noise about adding a bunch of B & C class size Crossovers and SUVs to their line ups.

I got the impression he prefers these low roof car-like crossovers aka the Fiesta Active entry. Probably because the low cost to raise the stance and add some black plastic around the edges, call them a crossover and charge 10 grand more for the much better profit margin.

I see no reason not to bring out a crossover like this. The Subaru Crosstek seems have been well received. It wouldn't cost much to do either.

• Like 1

...Probably because the low cost to raise the stance and add some black plastic around the edges, call them a crossover and charge 10 grand more for the much better profit margin.

icon_thumbs1.gif

Oscar Wilde: paraphrasing

"...seems to me a most attractive proposition, now that I look more closely..."

biggrin.gif

Edited by 2b2

I'm concerned most American buyers will see these low roof vehicles as not CUV's but as car/wagon. I think Subaru can get away with it because they've been making something similar for years and only recently got into a full CUV. Everything else they've had before was a wagon/car.

I just don't see a Ford buyer making that jump like the Subaru buyers do.

• Like 1

Look at the shape of the two. the CX-3 is longer but the rear is sloped like a fastback whie the Ecosport is higher and squarer.

I'm beginning to think that the Ecosport will be different enough to the competition to see some clean air in the showroom...

It's easy to copy what all your competitors are doing, much harder to try a vehicle with different looks and feel,

this could be the vehicle that sways more than a few Focus buyers to Utilities.

I still want to see what Ford has planned in regards to short C utility - that vehicle type might really rip into compact car sales.

Just what Ford Dealers need... another opportunity for customers to move into CUV's and give up their cars! Hopefully the EcoSport will bring in new conquest customers and not just convert existing Ford customers to switch from their Ford cars. Even so, the EcoSport isn't expected to generate more than 40-50,000 sales the first year. But at least Ford is finally getting into the smaller CUV segment.

• Like 2

at 92 Merc

Maybe it's just that, an easy plan to transition car buyers into utilities without anything more than raised ride height.

A lot of utility buyers will underscore that higher seating position as the main desirable feature of a utility.

In places like Europe, the jacked up Fiesta Active might be the best strategy to transition many of those B and C car sales

to utilities and add far more interest and profit. In North America it probably as you say, a great way for dealers to attract

those car buyers back into the showroom with a "car" that feels different and better to those buyers...

ice-capades,

i sure hope the Ecosport brings a new energy to the showroom, not to get too excited here but if Ford supports it

the right way, this could be the big reconnection with lapsed compact car buyers...

I want to se what's planned with the small C Utility too - I think that's an even bigger sweet spot than Ecosport.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

I think this rear shape will appeal to a lot of American buyers over the more sloped hatchback style of other brands.

Sure the boxier style and smallish wheels makes it look dinky but I think a lot of women and young first time buyers

may like the price, style and versatility.

Ford-Ecosport-2018-1055677.jpg

Edited by jpd80

A-segment CUV: below 4.0 meters/around 160" - e.g. Ford EcoSport, Renault Kwid, Suzuki Ignis

B-segment CUV: roughly 4.2~4.3 meters/around 165~170" - e.g. Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade, Nissan Kicks, Peugeot 2008

Short C CUV: roughly 4.4~4.5 meters/around 173~177" - e.g. Jeep Compass, Nissan Rogue Sport, Subaru XV, Hyundai Tucson, VW Tiguan (the short European one), Peugeot 3008

Long C CUV: roughly 4.6~4.7 meters/around 180~185" - e.g. Jeep Cherokee, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, VW Tiguan Allspace (the long Chinese one), Peugeot 5008

Good explanation but just a little thing,

Ecosport is B Segment, above 4,000 mm at 4,040 mm (161.3") but only just..

The interior dimensions are also closely aligned to those of other B Utilities even if the length is shorter.

On Short C,

If Ford was to jack up the current 104.5" WB Focus hatchback, that would make a short C Ute that's 171.6" long

That might be more of a sweet spot for competing against the likes of slightly smaller B Utes and a way of adding

more sales between Ecosport and new larger Escape (~180")...

I keep coming back to this because I see the wider appeal outside of North America where there's a real opportunity

for Ford to add a lot of sales in Europe and Asia with a ute that's between Ecosport and Escape.

It takes the most popular version of European Focus and turns it into a CUV, that will play well in UK. Germany, France

and Italy - Ford Europe's largest markets. Perhaps something Ford is making possible by increasing the size of Escape?.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It takes the most popular version of European Focus and turns it into a CUV, that will play well in UK. Germany, France

and Italy - Ford Europe's largest markets. Perhaps something Ford is making possible by increasing the size of Escape?.

I think you will see Focus Active and you will see something else to replace C-Max (perhaps even keeping the C-Max name) in Europe for sure - just like Fiesta Active and EcoSport are both being offered. Outside Europe, I think Ford will go with the C-Max replacement as the small C ute.

The Grand C-Max will probably be replaced by 7 seat Kuga/Escape. That is apparently a product that Ford China has asked for and it makes a lot of sense from a global point of view vs. Grand C-Max.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

@jpd80, are you seeing many Citroen's small crossover C4 Cactus on the streets?

Apparently Jim Farley is a big fan of this odd looking vehicle. I am hoping Ford doesn't go this design route.

Outside of the stupid black cadding on the sides and the faux Cherokee like head lights, I like the styling.

I think you will see Focus Active and you will see something else to replace C-Max (perhaps even keeping the C-Max name) in Europe for sure - just like Fiesta Active and EcoSport are both being offered. Outside Europe, I think Ford will go with the C-Max replacement as the small C ute.

Yes, I think you're right on the money with those expectations.....I wonder if there's room for a "Mondeo / Fusion Active"

as another transitional vehicle ...probably me being impatient as usual and wanting to see Ford's X4. ;)

The Grand C-Max will probably be replaced by 7 seat Kuga/Escape. That is apparently a product that Ford China has asked for and it makes a lot of sense from a global point of view vs. Grand C-Max.

I wonder about the role of the varios Maxes out side of Europe, in Asia maybe but not convinced regarding North America.

Although, I could see a longer wheelbase on the Euro Galaxy (not Galaxie) as a Flex replacement....

An increase in wheelbase for Kuga / Escape makes the third row option possible especially in Asia (not unlike RAV4)

I just wish Ford would get going on new product and speed up delivery to market - sooner rather than later is better.

Edited by jpd80