Updated Ecosport Revealed at Frankfurt 2017 Auto Show

The design and execution is stop gap for sure, but not the size. There is a market for tiny utes like this one. There does appear to be a larger crossover on the way that's in between this and the current Escape as the new Escape gets a little bigger.

I think you will change your mind about the size when you actually see one in person. It is substantially smaller than other CUVs in similar price range. Mazda CX-3 is nearly a foot longer.

This is definitely a stop gap car size wise. I don't see Ford keeping it this small for the next generation. And it will be the case regardless if Ford plans to sell a C-Max sized CUV or not.

I think you will change your mind about the size when you actually see one in person. It is substantially smaller than other CUVs in similar price range. Mazda CX-3 is nearly a foot longer.

This is definitely a stop gap car size wise. I don't see Ford keeping it this small for the next generation. And it will be the case regardless if Ford plans to sell a C-Max sized CUV or not.

So it is going to beat the driver and itself to death on normal american pot filled roads?....gotcha..still think the lil booger will sell if priced under $20k

CX-3 is an escape competitor, not ecosport. I thought it was a Trax competitor.

Correct.

CX-3=Ecosport

CX-5=Escape

CX-7=Dead

CX-9=Edge/Explorer

3 is/was B2. 5 is/was C1. 7 was a bastard C1. 9 is/was CD3.

I say is/was because they're said to be Mazda platforms now but I'm unsure how "all new" those platforms are.

CX-3 is a Mazda DE which is Ford B2E with Ecosport...they're close cousins anyway

I wonder if the NG Fiesta Active Utility is Ford's "CX-3"

CX5 is not C1, it is SkyActiv platform -new suspension, frame, engine and trans

Part of me wonders if SkyActive frame is a lightweight evolution of C1..

CX-7 was a mixture of two mazda platforms,

the front suspension is LY (MPV minivan) or close cousin to CD3 used in 6 and early Fusion/Milan/MKZ

and the rear is C1 control blade IRS as used in the Mazda Premacy and c1 Focus/Kuga/ Escape/ Tribute

CX-9 is Mazda CD3S, used in Gen 1 Edge and MKX

quite different to CD3 used in 6 and early Fusion/Milan/MKZ

Edited by jpd80

Outside of the 4 inch length and height difference between the two (C-Max vs Escape) they are identical.

I can see the Ecosport growing a bit, but there's been mention of a Gen X CUV, which I'm assuming is what will be slotted between the Ecosport and Escape, which will most likely grow another few inches...all assume to roughly 180 in overall length

I'm going to assume the Gen X CUV is going to be roughly 172 inches overall length.

The Ecosport is 158.2 inches as a comparison (a HR-V is 169)

• Like 1

No CX-5 is Edge competitor. CX-7 is Explorer competitor with 3 row seating.

There is still a gap between Escape and Ecosport but that will be fixed soon if that's what folks are referring to.

Nope. CX-7 was the Edge competitor, and was discontinued years ago.

CX-3 - subcompact (HR-V, C-HR, EcoSport competitor)

CX-5 - compact (CR-V, RAV-4, Escape competitor)

CX-7 - midsize; discontinued (Edge, Murano competitor)

CX-9 - large/large midsize (Explorer, Pilot competitor)

Here you go -

The Eco is understated, as are most Fords, not offensive in any way, but somehow different, more 'SUV' looking, Not sure that works today like it did 20 years ago. I think Toyota will be the sales leader. Not that I like it, but it seems to be what the younger consumer wants today, and of course there is the crowd that only cares that it is a Toyota. And yes, the Honda just blends in - like a Honda. But the people line up to buy them!

Interesting, when I saw the Eco - I thought, blah, but when they are all lined up I find it is clearly my favorite - at least in the photos. I am not a fan of Asian styling; See how many times you can can crease the sheet metal before it gets offensive, and add a few more. Then stretch the front end design in every direction until it looks like an aged movie star after 20 plastic surgeries.

Added the Subaru in honor of my home State of Colorado where they are insanely popular. XV Crosstrek to me is ho-hum, but they are all over the place here in the Mountain West.

post-13728-0-62341400-1505401217_thumb.png

post-13728-0-13697800-1505401226_thumb.png

post-13728-0-38682000-1505401246_thumb.png

post-13728-0-68839400-1505401550_thumb.png

post-13728-0-23873600-1505418377_thumb.png

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

One thing I will say about the CX-3.....it looks nice inside and out, but it's tiny, and sacrifices a good amount of practicality for that style. While I haven't yet been able to get inside an EcoSport (was hoping to at the now-cancelled Miami autoshow....thanks Irma), I would have to imagine it's more upright shape may lead to more useable space, even if it is dimensionally smaller than the competition.

One thing I will say about the CX-3.....it looks nice inside and out, but it's tiny, and sacrifices a good amount of practicality for that style. While I haven't yet been able to get inside an EcoSport (was hoping to at the now-cancelled Miami autoshow....thanks Irma), I would have to imagine it's more upright shape may lead to more useable space, even if it is dimensionally smaller than the competition.

I'd bet you wouldn't be able to sit in it anyway. Ford doesn't tend to leave the doors open on "preproduction" models.

CX-3 DIMENSIONS LINK

Length........................168.3"

Width............................69.6"

Height..........................60,9"

Wheelbase................101.2"

Track front...................60.0"

Track Rear..................59.9"

Front Head room.................38.4"

Front Leg room...................41.7"

Front Shoulder room...........53.8"

Front Hip room....................52.3"

2nd Row Head room...........37.2

2nd Row Leg room..............35.0

2nd Row Shoulder room.....50.4"

2nd Row Hip room..............49.0"

Passenger volume...............87.6 cu ft

Behind First Row.................44.5 cu ft

Behind Second Row............12.5 cu ft

Curb Weight

Base...............2,952 lbs

ECOSPORT DIMENSIONS LINK

Length........................161.3"

Width...........................69.3"

Height 2WD/4WD........64.8" / 65.1"

Wheelbase..................99.1"

Track front...................59.8"

Track Rear...................59.7"

Curb Weight.............2,952 lbs

Front Head room.................39.6"

Front Leg room...................42.9"

Front Shoulder room...........53.3"

Front Hip room....................51.6"

2nd Row Head room...........37.6"

2nd Row Leg room.............36.7"

2nd Row Shoulder room.....51.3"

2nd Row Hip room..............51.9"

Passenger volume...............91.1 cu ft

Behind First Row..................50.0 cu ft

Behind Second Row.............20.9 cu ft

Curb Weight

1.0EB FWD...................3,060 lbs

4WD 2.0 TiVCT.............3,327 lbs

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I'd bet you wouldn't be able to sit in it anyway. Ford doesn't tend to leave the doors open on "preproduction" models.

I know at the Fort Lauderdale show a few months ago (it's tiny and doesn't have much, which is why I was really looking forward to the Miami show), they did have a locked pre-production model there. I figured since we're getting closer to it being available, they might have one open, but I won't find out now that it's been cancelled. :(

CX-3 DIMENSIONS LINK

ECOSPORT DIMENSIONS LINK

These numbers bear out my thoughts - despite the smaller overall dimensions (aside from height), the EcoSport has more room inside, at least on paper.

These numbers bear out my thoughts - despite the smaller overall dimensions (aside from height), the EcoSport has more room inside, at least on paper.

CX-3 happens to be one of the most cramped one on the inside because it sacrificed room for style.

Where EcoSport really come up short (literally and furtively) is in cargo room vs. the likes of Encore, HR-V, Renegade etc.

So the CX-3 is quite a bit larger than ecosport but not as big as Escape. That's where the new small C ute should end up.

I don't know why you are having so much trouble with this.

The short C utes are generally quite a bit larger than the likes of CX-3, by roughly the same exterior size margin as EcoSport vs. CX-3 - i.e. Rogue Sport, XV, Outlander Sport, Compass, Tucson, Sportage, Tiguan (the short European one) etc.

A-segment CUV: below 4.0 meters/around 160" - e.g. Ford EcoSport, Renault Kwid, Suzuki Ignis

B-segment CUV: roughly 4.2~4.3 meters/around 165~170" - e.g. Mazda CX-3, Honda HR-V, Jeep Renegade, Nissan Kicks, Peugeot 2008

Short C CUV: roughly 4.4~4.5 meters/around 173~177" - e.g. Jeep Compass, Nissan Rogue Sport, Subaru XV, Hyundai Tucson, VW Tiguan (the short European one), Peugeot 3008

Long C CUV: roughly 4.6~4.7 meters/around 180~185" - e.g. Jeep Cherokee, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester, VW Tiguan Allspace (the long Chinese one), Peugeot 5008

The current Escape is 178" so you can see it is sort of in the middle of short C and long C. Most of its traditional competitors are longer and basically all of them have or will have 3rd row seats in the next generation. So it makes sense that Ford will grow the size of Escape to better match the competitors. That opens the line up for a C-Max sized CUV to slide in to compete with Jeep Compass etc. Ford will have to replace the C-Max one way or another in Europe (if not in the US) because the tall hatch/minivan market in Europe is collapsing in favor of CUVs. So it is a forgone conclusion that regular C-Max will probably go the same way as Peugeot 3008 and morph from a tall hatch into a CUV. The long C-Max minivan will surely be replaced by a Kuga 3-row which Ford will probably also sell in China.

Same thing with EcoSport - Ford can grow it to a proper B-segment size to compete with other in the market and come up with a new cheaper/smaller CUV for emerging markets.