Updated Ecosport Revealed at Frankfurt 2017 Auto Show

I was looking around to see if Ford was going to show any concepts at the show (as best I could determine, no), but they are introducing some production models for Europe. In the case of the Ecosport, their version is contains the improvements and upgrades we will see when the little booger comes to market. The attached article had the best pics: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/850257/Ford-Ecosport-2018-SUV-new-car-Frankfurt-Motor-Show

282469.jpg

Look at the slideshow, some good images there. I just noticed the blue one has a black treatment on the roof.

The limitations of the Eco-sport have been discussed quite a bit, but I think it's important for Ford to put something out there in this market segment. It doesn't cost them much to do it until the next generation is available for sale. I think it's better to have something in the market rather than nothing at all.

• Like 1

I think this is just a stop-gap product. It is way too small for the pricepoint, regardless of how good the engine is.

Does the hatch still open sideways instead of upwards?

The design and execution is stop gap for sure, but not the size. There is a market for tiny utes like this one. There does appear to be a larger crossover on the way that's in between this and the current Escape as the new Escape gets a little bigger.

• Like 1

The limitations of the Eco-sport have been discussed quite a bit, but I think it's important for Ford to put something out there in this market segment. It doesn't cost them much to do it until the next generation is available for sale. I think it's better to have something in the market rather than nothing at all.

Agreed. And like a lot of other things, it should have been done 2-3 years ago.

• Like 1

Agreed. And like a lot of other things, it should have been done 2-3 years ago.

Looking back at 2-3 years ago Ford was still launching the new Fusion, Mustang, F-150...consolidating platforms,etc...hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah they can do a better job, but at the same time resources only go so far and well they bunted badly with pull back they where expecting to hit everything, when it only hit cars.

Looking back at 2-3 years ago Ford was still launching the new Fusion, Mustang, F-150...consolidating platforms,etc...hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah they can do a better job, but at the same time resources only go so far and well they bunted badly with pull back they where expecting to hit everything, when it only hit cars.

But Ecosport already existed and is being imported so there would have been very little impact to NA resources. I'm sure this was all tied up in the bigger plans for model E and new C platform and associated factory implications so I understand the reasons. I'm just saying they should have planned better.

• Like 2

But Ecosport already existed and is being imported so there would have been very little impact to NA resources. I'm sure this was all tied up in the bigger plans for model E and new C platform and associated factory implications so I understand the reasons. I'm just saying they should have planned better.

and that goes back to Mulally. That's one of the few mistakes that he made Fields could have rectified quite easily. Instead he doubled down on it.

Right, but given the harsh criticism that people here have been giving the Ecosport, short of a new product or completely new design for it...we still be waiting for it.

Its lipstick on a pig to most people here...and will prob hang around for another 2-3-4 years before being replaced by something newer or more suited to NA market.

The Honda HR-V didn't arrive quite fully baked in some ways, but people are still buying every one that Honda can build. I doubt that the EcoSport will have any trouble finding sufficient buyers, whatever flaws we think that it has.

Odd thing is I haven't noticed that many of them on the road...or they are just blending in with the CR-Vs

I think the Ecosport might actually sell better than the Fiesta.