Lincoln MKT Dropped from retail?

On the F150 using motors at the front wheels would work in a hybrid mode for high mpg or as an augment to RWD but I don't see that being a replacement for the more traditional 4WD use cases.

Pretty much. There are probably quite a few F150 4x4 buyers who wouldn't care if the front wheels were driven by electric motors, but there are a bunch of them who do--and I'm thinking that the ones buying 4x4s because they need the capability are the ones most likely to be turned off (and I'm thinking of fleet buyers like petroleum exploration companies, oilfield services companies, and so forth, not just Bubba). Hybrids would be a natural place to use electric motors for front assist, but I don't see them replacing actual transfer cases and locking differentials any time soon.

That's correct on the Audi design. That is a possibility.

On the F150 using motors at the front wheels would work in a hybrid mode for high mpg or as an augment to RWD but I don't see that being a replacement for the more traditional 4WD use cases.

I'm just trying to think of a logical/reasonable way to have CD6 do all of those things.

As for the hybrid - it'll be just like the other trims in the F-150 lineup - there's a million and one of them, which target different customers. They hybrid will appeal to a certain segment of buyers, while it'll be a turn-off for others. If it doesn't suit your needs, buy a different F-150 model.

I can't confirm because I haven't heard one way or the other, but I definitely wouldn't rule it out. Ford needs to change their reputation of dragging their heels and following the crowd. That would go a long way to changing that and I think Jim Hackett is keenly aware of that.

I think Hackett will do as much as possible regarding auto show products and reveals to make up for the last 18 months under Fields. I think that was a big factor in Fields dismissal.

They definitely need to do something. Last year's show circuit (outside of maybe Navigator) was a disaster and was a big reason (IMO) why it looks like Ford is behind. Couple that with the aforementioned product delays, and it's not a pretty picture. They need to at least show some concepts to show that there's someone alive in product development/that they're working on things.

Pretty much. There are probably quite a few F150 4x4 buyers who wouldn't care if the front wheels were driven by electric motors, but there are a bunch of them who do--and I'm thinking that the ones buying 4x4s because they need the capability are the ones most likely to be turned off (and I'm thinking of fleet buyers like petroleum exploration companies, oilfield services companies, and so forth, not just Bubba). Hybrids would be a natural place to use electric motors for front assist, but I don't see them replacing actual transfer cases and locking differentials any time soon.

As I said above, let's not pretend that the hybrid will be marketed to all of these buyers either, though. Maybe the diesel will better align with those needs.

Toyed with meaning it's still in question? Or the launch timeframe is being toyed with?

Product cadence, sure, and some other details that should have already been solidified.

Additionally, remember that one proposed Mulally-era product pitch involved a full-sized, flexible platform with electric motors driving the front wheels and a TT ICE driving the rears...

Additionally redux.. RMC, how are you guys hanging in there after Irma?

• Like 1

Product cadence, sure, and some other details that should have already been solidified.

Additionally, remember that one proposed Mulally-era product pitch involved a full-sized, flexible platform with electric motors driving the front wheels and a TT ICE driving the rears...

Additionally redux.. RMC, how are you guys hanging in there after Irma?

Hmm....well let's hope they get it all sorted out soon.

I don't recall that - what are you referring to? (Feel free to message privately if anything is too sensitive for public posting)

---

As for Irma, we're good here on the east coast - damage I've seen is mostly limited to power loss in many areas, a lot of lost palm fronds, and broken tree branches/some knocked over trees. Here they've handled it very well - they had hundreds of power/bucket trucks ready to go the morning after the storm to start getting power back up. There are a few random spots that had worse (I'm guessing it could've been tornado damage more than from the hurricane winds), but as a whole, we didn't get hit too badly. The keys and west coast are a different story, though.

• Like 1

Hmm....well let's hope they get it all sorted out soon.

I don't recall that - what are you referring to? (Feel free to message privately if anything is too sensitive for public posting)

Most of the info at the time leaked out from Wes, but I've been able to corroborate most of it. Products included a Thunderbird, GT revival, MKR, and a Lincoln "lifestyle" utility. EcoBoost mills driving the rears (3.5 and 5.0) with electric motors turning the fronts. The MKR and GT were said to have monster power.

• Like 1

Most of the info at the time leaked out from Wes, but I've been able to corroborate most of it. Products included a Thunderbird, GT revival, MKR, and a Lincoln "lifestyle" utility. EcoBoost mills driving the rears (3.5 and 5.0) with electric motors turning the fronts. The MKR and GT were said to have monster power.

Could certainly be interesting...

I mean really that's about the same as what I was talking about above.

I wonder what the MKR would've looked like.

I also still wonder how MKR would've sold had it been produced?

As I said above, let's not pretend that the hybrid will be marketed to all of these buyers either, though. Maybe the diesel will better align with those needs.

I'm not saying that they would market hybrids at those buyers, just that I don't see electric motors replacing a mechanical 4x4 system in anything other than a hybrid F150 any time soon. It makes sense in a hybrid, and it could easily work in the Expedition, but I just don't see it in the "regular" F150 4x4.

I'm not saying that they would market hybrids at those buyers, just that I don't see electric motors replacing a mechanical 4x4 system in anything other than a hybrid F150 any time soon. It makes sense in a hybrid, and it could easily work in the Expedition, but I just don't see it in the "regular" F150 4x4.

Exactly my point. Not replacing the traditional transfer case 4WD system.

I mean really that's about the same as what I was talking about above.

That's where the speculation started about CD6 having that capability (electric motors on the front wheels, ICE driving the rear). Although I hadn't heard those specific vehicle details before. Would not surprise me to see that on a GT or Mustang GT4 race car at some point.

Not replacing it at all, but an option for those who want hybrid. That would be the 'easiest' way to add a hybrid to the F150 IMO.

The original point was I could see CD6 doing that for AWD capability but I don't see it completely replacing the F150 4WD system. Would work great for a pure hybrid though.

• Like 1

The original point was I could see CD6 doing that for AWD capability but I don't see it completely replacing the F150 4WD system. Would work great for a pure hybrid though.

Agreed!

And on Mustang the front motors could be used for extra power and for better handling - sort of like the Torque vectoring differential on the Focus RS but with more control.

Also agreed!

• Like 1

Not banned. Just quit logging in back in 2013.

Holy crap - I just realized my Fusion will be 5 years old in a few months.

Good news in case you missed it! They did a massive update for 2017 that will surely entice you to trade into a new Fusion!! :hysterical:

Yeah, I don't know where time goes. My Flex will be 9 years old in November. :drop: I still love it though, and its uniqueness......as I'm starting to look at a few different new cars, I'm having trouble with the thought of getting rid of it....part of me wants to keep it.

• Like 1