Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running board fails to deploy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Ok guys, one of the running boards (curb side) on the wife's Explorer (2010 Limited) will not deploy when you open the door.  I switched from "auto" to "always down" to always retracted and back to "auto" with no change.

Any clue?  I got under neath for a look and could see no evidence of any road damage.   also looks like a pretty tight unit to gain access to circuits.

appreciate any thoughts before I take it to dealer.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Does it make any noise? Like a hum or buzz for one second or so? Most of the time the hinges are corroded and stuck. Open the door while pushing down on the board. Open and close the door a few times while trying to push it down. Once it starts moving, get some penetrating oil like PB blaster and spray they pivot points. Then open and close the door several times and see it if starts moving on its own

#3 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

Does it make any noise? Like a hum or buzz for one second or so? Most of the time the hinges are corroded and stuck. Open the door while pushing down on the board. Open and close the door a few times while trying to push it down. Once it starts moving, get some penetrating oil like PB blaster and spray they pivot points. Then open and close the door several times and see it if starts moving on its own

FT-Silent!  And this is a clean well cared for 2010.

#4 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

FT-Silent!  And this is a clean well cared for 2010.

Unfortunately I've seen well cared for running boards get frozen up from road debris. However, normally at least a light hum or buzz is heard when door is open. Not a lot of diagnosis can be without seeing it.

#5 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Unfortunately I've seen well cared for running boards get frozen up from road debris. However, normally at least a light hum or buzz is heard when door is open. Not a lot of diagnosis can be without seeing it.

Ok- thx for the response in any case. My suspicion is, "no buzz" means there is a wire disconnected from control un it-wherever that is.!

#6 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

There is one connector next to the motor. Maybe unplug it and check it for water intrusion or poor fit. Another possibility is to disconnect battery for a min to reset the module.

#7 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

There is one connector next to the motor. Maybe unplug it and check it for water intrusion or poor fit. Another possibility is to disconnect battery for a min to reset the module.

Ok thx will give it a shot.

#8 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

Well dropped it off at dealer last night. Got a call this afternoon-diagnosis? Short in motor. Solution? "Needs Running board assembly-$2,317.65".

And Hackett wants to cut engineering!  The key wear component in the assembly and you can't get it without buying the whole thing. 

I say to service mgr-"you've got to be kidding (well not in those words)- "motor is shot and the entire assembly gets replaced"???  His answer --check out a junk yard!

#9 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

Check eBay also. I haven't had any experience in this yet. But aftermarket running boards look very similar. I wonder if you can use the parts from them to fix. Or you could buy one assembly and install it. Amp makes one that looks identical to factory

#10 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

Check eBay also. I haven't had any experience in this yet. But aftermarket running boards look very similar. I wonder if you can use the parts from them to fix. Or you could buy one assembly and install it. Amp makes one that looks identical to factory

FT-thx I mentioned Junkyard and SM said same thing-try ebay

#11 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Did you have any luck with this Bob?

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#12 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Did you have any luck with this Bob?

TT-  No luck.  I went to LKQ and the guy found one in Tenn.  They give you an invoice with location, donor vehicle description including mileage. 

I was all set-gave them my CC -185 bucks and day it was due in I get a call and salesman says-"bad news"-number ypu gave guy when you paid for it (I took the "made in Korea" tag off and the kid at counter rpinted it on invoice)   I said .. "well did they ship it" and he says NO.  Strange huh?  This guy was new and I think when someone was checking felt he let it go for too little.  I don't know how LKQ prices stuff but for sure, if only option when yu hve a motor failure is to spend over two grand I would say a salvage motor is worth a lot more than 185-and I would have paid more if he had asked.

There are 3 new ones on Ebay in Canada but wrong nos. 

Maybe Hackett will correct this outrage when he cuts engineering and outsourced parts cost.  Korean part?  He might get a better price from a start up in Nigeria :confused:

#13 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,467 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

He might get a better price from a start up in Nigeria :confused:

Only if he gives them his bank account number so they can wire him the money his friend left him when he passed away.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#14 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,982 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2015 Focus

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Only if he gives them his bank account number so they can wire him the money his friend left him when he passed away.

hey, that guy was my friend! Wtf?
  • fordmantpw likes this

What? What happened?

#15 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

hey, that guy was my friend! Wtf?

Sorry guys-can't deal with this right now-just took a message off the answering machine that IRS is about to issue a warrant for my arrest unless I respond at once to their call.    (bet we get two of these a week!)

• fuzzymoomoo likes this

#16 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,982 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2015 Focus

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Sorry guys-can't deal with this right now-just took a message off the answering machine that IRS is about to issue a warrant for my arrest unless I respond at once to their call.    (bet we get two of these a week!)

ooh, yeah you might want to get that taken care of. The IRS doesn't mess around!

What? What happened?

#17 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,467 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Just send me your SSN and $5k and Ill resolve it for you.

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#18 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

oooh, I just love those calls.....

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·