Lincoln plans electrified lineup (all models) by 2022

Honestly, I am not here to argue with you.

I am open to any form of energy generation. If solar provided 100% of all our electricity needs, I am fine with that. If we could use 15 different methods to generate electricity, that is fine with me as well. I desire any means of maximizing efficiency and productivity with regard to energy generation.

I don't visit this forum to argue how we get our electrity. My passion is automobiles. I am an auto enthusiast. In fact, I am a Ford loyalist. I have owned nearly 40 cars, all but one of which were either a Ford, a Mercury or a Lincoln.

In previous years I wrote articles for Blue Oval News. I visit this forum because the members tend to aggregate articles which makes it easier for me to find out hot news in an efficient manner. I don't always have time to search around the web every day to see if there is some new Ford model, or a competitor's model, sales results, P&L, etcetera.

My concern is that as a car guy, I want to be able to buy the kind of car I desire to own and drive. And I still believe that the auto industry is consumer driven (pun intended), not a public service, mass transit authority.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression you are an angry, political activist with an agenda toward mandating a specific outcome. Perhaps I am wrong about that?

It would not bother me if 90% of all vehicles sold were an EV. I just desire an automobile market where if I wsh to own a Mustang with an internal combustion engine, I can have one.

In fact, I am against autonomous autos and ride sharing.

I am well aware that fascism is taking hold of the world and that liberty and freedom are a thing of the past. I have lost the battle I and I am ready to accept that fact.

My posting on this topic has had nothing to do with how we get our electricity. It is in fact about my enthusiasm for automobiles and my passion for the Ford Motor Company.

Yeah, I don't understand what this dynamic is on this forum. Everyone is always wrong seems to be the going thing around here. I just want great vehicles, efficient, powerful, RWD, better V6 and V8 options, and better transmissions. There is plenty of room for improvement in other areas, I don't know what the big push is for electric.

Also, I don't know why members are acting as if the government has made any policy changes regarding electric autos? If anything, it's just the opposite. This government wants cleaner coal and more efficiency from that area. Why should this country endure anymore financial stress completely switching over to electric and abandoning fossil fuels? It's a bad idea at a time like this. It's not like we're going to run out, we have enough fuels to last over a century, and there's plenty more to be discovered.

Climate change is not affected by humans, or the earth should have been starting to cool back down. We are at record lows in over 20 years for emissions. It is all natural, just as the earth rotates around the sun, so is climate change and natural storms.

Just from a financial business standpoint, the costs incurred by everyone in this country, had things gone the other way, to go fully electric, god help us all. There would be no money for anything else. Highly doubt any or as fast a recovery for these hurricanes without fossil fuels.

Electric is not far enough along, end of story. No point in rushing Lincoln into something like that, when the brand is still rebuilding. A ton of people won't look at them as it is, let alone when prices increase by the 10's of thousands, because of newly introduced electric.

More hybrids are welcomed, but also need to keep traditional options. I'd say RWD is a more important goal for Lincoln than going electric. I think more premium luxury car buyers care more about how their vehicle rides and performs, more so than saving the planet when nothing changes anyway. Make a mode e Lincoln for the save-the-planet club.it could go against Jaguar's I-Pace. See what a little joke that Jag is? I wouldn't be caught dead in one, or the Model 3.....

Make a mode e Lincoln for the save-the-planet club.it could go against Jaguar's I-Pace. See what a little joke that Jag is? I wouldn't be caught dead in one, or the Model 3.....

Jaguar I-Pace is an amazing product. It embodies the Jaguar philosophy of space, pace, and grace perfectly. It will use a lot of technology from JLR's Formula E program. I hope the production version retains the beautiful styling of the concept.

Lincoln could elevate its place among luxury cars with something similar to I-Pace.

I could easily put them on the roof of my house, it bakes in the sun year round (detached garage). Heck, the panels would probably help keep the house a little cooler in the summer. I just can't get past purposely drilling holes in the roof. I'm irritated enough that the previous owner put a sattelite dish up there.

Drilling holes in a roof really is a non issue. I installed my own solar system - 32 panels - half on a 7/12 pitch and half on a 10/12. All roofs already have holes - vents, skylights etc.

Jaguar I-Pace is an amazing product. It embodies the Jaguar philosophy of space, pace, and grace perfectly. It will use a lot of technology from JLR's Formula E program. I hope the production version retains the beautiful styling of the concept.

Lincoln could elevate its place among luxury cars with something similar to I-Pace.

And that's my point. The people who feel that it is a great product can buy the Lincoln competitor to the I-Pace. I think it looks cool for a second, but then I see the XF, XJ, F-type, F-Pace, and I just want them, and could care less about the I-Pace. I don't discredit electric capability in performance enhancement, but I discredit the overall concept and consensus that it's better, because as of today, it is not in every area. It's only better in one area, and that is instantaneous torque, which if you have a Tesla and run Ludicrous mode, well you aren't going to be driving it home if you don't live close to the track, that's for sure. You'll be hauling it in your 250/2500 Platinum/Denali diesel rig in a car hauler.

Yeah, I don't understand what this dynamic is on this forum. Everyone is always wrong seems to be the going thing around here. I just want great vehicles, efficient, powerful, RWD, better V6 and V8 options, and better transmissions. There is plenty of room for improvement in other areas, I don't know what the big push is for electric.

Also, I don't know why members are acting as if the government has made any policy changes regarding electric autos? If anything, it's just the opposite. This government wants cleaner coal and more efficiency from that area. Why should this country endure anymore financial stress completely switching over to electric and abandoning fossil fuels? It's a bad idea at a time like this. It's not like we're going to run out, we have enough fuels to last over a century, and there's plenty more to be discovered.

Climate change is not affected by humans, or the earth should have been starting to cool back down. We are at record lows in over 20 years for emissions. It is all natural, just as the earth rotates around the sun, so is climate change and natural storms.

Just from a financial business standpoint, the costs incurred by everyone in this country, had things gone the other way, to go fully electric, god help us all. There would be no money for anything else. Highly doubt any or as fast a recovery for these hurricanes without fossil fuels.

Electric is not far enough along, end of story. No point in rushing Lincoln into something like that, when the brand is still rebuilding. A ton of people won't look at them as it is, let alone when prices increase by the 10's of thousands, because of newly introduced electric.

More hybrids are welcomed, but also need to keep traditional options. I'd say RWD is a more important goal for Lincoln than going electric. I think more premium luxury car buyers care more about how their vehicle rides and performs, more so than saving the planet when nothing changes anyway. Make a mode e Lincoln for the save-the-planet club.it could go against Jaguar's I-Pace. See what a little joke that Jag is? I wouldn't be caught dead in one, or the Model 3.....

If you want better vehicles go drive a Tesla S P100D - a 4 door sedan that will blow your mind in 0-60 and is basically quicker then everything else. Clean coal does not exist and probably never will. There is no financial incentive to invest in such technology. Natural gas is the primary cause, however, solar and wind power will seal its fate. Man is a primary cause of the current climate change crisis - virtually all of scientist agree. And if they are all wrong it still means a lot of good things. Cleaner air, water and land, energy independence and not sending billions to the Middle East to fund terrorists. If you are wrong the consequence will be catastrophic. As to a financial burden - it is the exact opposite. Solar and renewable energy is one of the fastest growing industries. I put solar panels on my house. The payback is @ 6 years and I am producing @90% of my electric use. I will be adding more to feed my future electric car - probably a hybrid to begin with. Hoping Lincoln is going to come out with the Aviator that they have designed to challenge the Volvo XC90 T8. Even Range Rover is coming up with a hybrid version to get 30 miles all electric range. Sorry to disappoint but the train has already left, electric cars are the future - and they will be here before you know it. If Lincoln is to compete they need to move forward to the future - not try to remake the past.

• Like 2

If you want better vehicles go drive a Tesla S P100D - a 4 door sedan that will blow your mind in 0-60 and is basically quicker then everything else. Clean coal does not exist and probably never will. There is no financial incentive to invest in such technology. Natural gas is the primary cause, however, solar and wind power will seal its fate. Man is a primary cause of the current climate change crisis - virtually all of scientist agree. And if they are all wrong it still means a lot of good things. Cleaner air, water and land, energy independence and not sending billions to the Middle East to fund terrorists. If you are wrong the consequence will be catastrophic. As to a financial burden - it is the exact opposite. Solar and renewable energy is one of the fastest growing industries. I put solar panels on my house. The payback is @ 6 years and I am producing @90% of my electric use. I will be adding more to feed my future electric car - probably a hybrid to begin with. Hoping Lincoln is going to come out with the Aviator that they have designed to challenge the Volvo XC90 T8. Even Range Rover is coming up with a hybrid version to get 30 miles all electric range. Sorry to disappoint but the train has already left, electric cars are the future - and they will be here before you know it. If Lincoln is to compete they need to move forward to the future - not try to remake the past.

It's quite funny you just mentioned the Model S P100D. Just was looking at it..... Never would drive one, hate the styling, but the stats are impressive performance wise, as I said I don't discredit. But the range is laughable. And nearly 5,000lbs???? That'll be great for our roads. Oh and to boot, it you can get one today for just $130,000!!!! Never will I....

I know about solar panels, we get sales calls every summer. You have to have direct sunlight on your roof. My house is nestled around trees, so it's a no go. I would prefer not to be energy independent, because when my independence fails, I'm stranded and left alone with the consequences. Trump is trying to unleash our own oil, as opposed to the Middle East.

Good story though. I'll post back when I get the next Escalade with the 4.2TT V8, 10-speed trans, IRS, air ride, etc. have fun with the electrics.

Good because I thought you were a potential Jaguar man

and then you threw in the Escalade like you were about to order...

Sorta threw me there...

If it were up to me and I had the money, I'd own a MKX, Continental, Navigator, every Cadillac, Jaguar, BMW 7-Series, MB S-class, every Rolls Royce, and every Bentley. All in highest trim and performance capability.... That's not possible in the short term, but that's nice to think about.

Every vehicle/brand named appeals greatly to me and I would not be ashamed to own, even though they all sit on different levels. My daily driver would probably be an Escalade/CT6 and the Continental/Navigator when I want to switch it up and the rest for fun. Then again, a Bentley Continental GT or Flying Spur Speed W12 would be a nice dd, or Rolls Royce Wraith with V12.....

By far my favorite economically realistic brand is Cadillac as a whole.

Edited by LincolnLover
  • Like 1

[/end thread] ?

Volvo's T8 system works much like what I was describing above with the gas powering the front wheels, and the electric motors powering the rear wheels. The batteries go in the center hump (where the driveshaft would otherwise go).

There's nothing wrong with that to me for a MKC or MKX as an option, as long as the warranty is exceptional. No one literally will know how to fix them besides the dealer for a time. Not that it's rocket science, but still you can't expect old dogs to learn that new of tricks fast. If you need a battery swapped or motors, fine and dandy, but that's not going to be cheap.

How about we stick with the car discussion and drop the politics. I've learned on here it isn't productive, because one party isn't going to convince the other party to move to their position, so what is the point. Sometimes less is more.

I feel that when we are talking about government mandates, how can you not bring up the current administration, who would be to some degree in control of those mandates? Also, we're talking about climate change and that's why electric is even a thing.

I say we stop talking about climate change and politics, and talk about a better Ford/Lincoln and the auto industry as a whole. Aside from climate change, why is electric better? Why must we switch? The train has left, we are progressing, but certain people factor to what degree.

I'm all for mpg improvement and cleaner air. The thing is, I have great air already, so I don't need any better. I get 18 mpg average, I'm fine with that, it's the cost of luxury when you drive a $65k when brand new (over priced like all these luxury vehicles) car. If I wanted better gas, I should be driving a more fuel efficient, but still nice Chevy or Ford.

I've been calling for the largest cities and areas with high industrial production to run day to day operations on "cleaner" energy to preserve air quality. But I think the little people shouldn't have to drop at least a $10k premium for electric motors.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression you are an angry, political activist with an agenda toward mandating a specific outcome. Perhaps I am wrong about that?

Ha! Definitely the first time i've been called that. I'm an engineer who works in the industry (utilities, energy, EVs, policy) and I'm eager to make sure people discussing these topics are up to speed with the latest numbers, and that they appreciate that people have been giving these topics a lot of thought and have done a lot of number crunching. I would say I get angry when armchair quarterbacks think of an important consideration (e.g. - taking into account the emissions associated with charging EVs or building their components) and immediately assume that nobody's thought of this before and that it must be an absolute deal breaker.

I've been on this forum for about 10 years, with a general theme of "Ford should build more EVs and hybrids". Happy to see the progress we've made since then, especially in terms of the broader support these technologies get from enthusiasts on automotive websites without any kind of a "green" focus.

• Like 1