Lincoln plans electrified lineup (all models) by 2022

Call it a hunch:

Good hunch, I was originally going to try and go after a GM position, or Ford if worse came to worse, but I'm against college. I'm much better off saving my money and working in the family business with access to much more money than I'd make being a dog for GM or Ford. Edited by LincolnLover

3 pedal option on sport models is a smart idea, I don't think the hair has any effect on the ceo's decisions on electrification, but the bean counters; CVT's stink, and most importantly it still isn't long enough range and fast enough charge times. If it's going to take 6 hours to charge, it needs a 1,000 mile range. The facts are there will be no non internal combustion era for at least a decade. On another note, see the next Escalade rumors that got scraped up? If reports are correct, 4.2TT V8, 10-spd trans, IRS, possibly air ride, and the finest leathers, fabrics and woods just like the Escala. That's what I like to drive, something that makes a great impression and strikingly expensive appearance, along with having the ability to make everyone go crazy when they hear that TTV8 at WOT

I planned on a CTS-V, but then decided I wanted a STS-V, and then said screw it and got the DTS, due to the fact this was a deal that doesn't come up every day. CTS-V is next year. The original original plan was a Navigator or Escalade, the. I looked at MKS ecoboost, which I liked pre 2013 models, but the numbers just didn't make sense for what the car's were, they aren't the Germans, the dealers aound don't realize that. There was that MKS Ecoboost sport package, like how the LS had the different skirts, spoiler, front and rear fascia, that's what I wanted. I'm going to wait for the Escalade until the year old and two year old ones come in.

Around a third of MKZs sold are hybrids but even with that Figure, Ford still sees no reason to offer an energi version.

Sorry but Lincoln's promises are not backed up with what they could and should be doing here and now.

Seriously by the time Lincoln has hybrids across the board, it won't be that uncommon or special.

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts: You won't catch me buying anything but an internal combustion powered vehicle. I'll hold on as long as I can! I don't care how old a car I have to buy! How about a nice 67 Mustang that I can find parts for and fix myself!? Do these mfrs. know something we don't know? Are we running out of fossil fuel? I've never seen such a mad dash before to electrics and hybrids! As far as global warming/climate change goes, there is NOTHING that you or I are going to do to change it! If it does exist, it's a natural pattern and we won't stop it! Thirty years of emission testing and engine controls and it's still an issue after 30 years? If they want to say it's still an issue, then that means that emission control crap is a joke then, right? Every human exhales 2.2 lbs of CO2 a day! The population of the USA and indeed the world has doubled over the last 50 years. So let's do away with people! All the cars and factories don't contribute the amount of CO2 that human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes do! We've set off man-made underground nuclear explosions and they never threw the earth's axis out of whack. But an earthquake (a NATURAL occurrence) in Japan a few years age DID! And these alarmists won't tell you that the Earth is getting infinitesimally closer to the Sun! I rented and drove and looked under the hood of a Ford Fusion hybrid. Do you know what it's going to cost you to have service performed on these cars??!! You want to talk about mass transit? Okay, just exactly how many people do our bureaucracies want to use mass transit? Give me a percentage. Does anybody realize that without the automotive industry there is no economy?! Let's assume 75 percent of the people stopped buying cars. You wouldn't need as many auto workers and the dealer salesmen, road construction workers and engineers (less wear and tear on our infrastructure), emergency personnel, tire and parts mfrs.' workers and the salespeople for them, lawyers (now that would be great!), hospital workers, tow truck drivers............what did I forget?

Just a few thoughts: You won't catch me buying anything but an internal combustion powered vehicle. I'll hold on as long as I can! I don't care how old a car I have to buy! How about a nice 67 Mustang that I can find parts for and fix myself!? Do these mfrs. know something we don't know? Are we running out of fossil fuel? I've never seen such a mad dash before to electrics and hybrids! As far as global warming/climate change goes, there is NOTHING that you or I are going to do to change it! If it does exist, it's a natural pattern and we won't stop it! Thirty years of emission testing and engine controls and it's still an issue after 30 years? If they want to say it's still an issue, then that means that emission control crap is a joke then, right? Every human exhales 2.2 lbs of CO2 a day! The population of the USA and indeed the world has doubled over the last 50 years. So let's do away with people! All the cars and factories don't contribute the amount of CO2 that human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes do! We've set off man-made underground nuclear explosions and they never threw the earth's axis out of whack. But an earthquake (a NATURAL occurrence) in Japan a few years age DID! And these alarmists won't tell you that the Earth is getting infinitesimally closer to the Sun! I rented and drove and looked under the hood of a Ford Fusion hybrid. Do you know what it's going to cost you to have service performed on these cars??!! You want to talk about mass transit? Okay, just exactly how many people do our bureaucracies want to use mass transit? Give me a percentage. Does anybody realize that without the automotive industry there is no economy?! Let's assume 75 percent of the people stopped buying cars. You wouldn't need as many auto workers and the dealer salesmen, road construction workers and engineers (less wear and tear on our infrastructure), emergency personnel, tire and parts mfrs.' workers and the salespeople for them, lawyers (now that would be great!), hospital workers, tow truck drivers............what did I forget?

Whoa whoa wait a tick are you being serious? If you are serious, may I ask who are you and where have you been? You're awesome..... spot on..... agree 100% that's my views on everything. Seems odd, almost spooky that you said what you said. Bravo sir, good day to you. ??????????????????

Whoa whoa wait a tick are you being serious? If you are serious, may I ask who are you and where have you been? You're awesome..... spot on..... agree 100% that's my views on everything. Seems odd, almost spooky that you said what you said. Bravo sir, good day to you. ??????????????????

I rented and drove and looked under the hood of a Ford Fusion hybrid. Do you know what it's going to cost you to have service performed on these cars??!!

Maintenance and repair cost on Ford Fusion Hybrid should be about the same as regular Ford Fusion. Maybe less because brakes don't need to be serviced as often.

Consumer Reports said that a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid had an average annual maintenance repair cost of $90. Regular 2014 Fusion was $100.

More importantly, what is going to happen when out of warranty and no one knows how to repair an electric powertrain? These vehicles will be far more advanced, regular shops won't be able to fix them. It'll be dealer only like the aluminum body trucks and they'll bend everyone over the hood of their nice electric Lincoln that doesn't work anymore. And don't say they don't break, because anything mass produced WILL breakdown somewhere somehow sometime..... Maybe the majority will last a decade, but doubtful. I don't see an electric propulsion vehicle to last longer than 10 years. We keep our cars for the long haul when we buy them loaded, we aren't Rockefeller's, just do ok enough to afford loaded Lincoln's and Cadillac's. I wouldn't to pay $80k for an electric Continental to have it break in 5 years.

Which was most likely generated at a fossil fuel power plant running at about 35% thermal efficiency. Also the nukes run at about 35% thermal efficiency too since the secondary plant is the same as a fossil plant.

Just a reminder to consider the whole picture.

Absolutely important to consider the whole picture, and I work in the utility industry so give this a lot of thought. I first did my own "well-to-wheels" analysis during my masters around 2009, and the numbers for EVs were already at least as good as gas in the worst case back then. The numbers have only gotten better, because I can assure you that any power plant running at 35% efficiency has probably already shut down for being completely uncompetitive. It's a lot easier to optimize a massive stationary thermal engine operating at a steady state than it is to optimize an engine in a vehicle that has to rev up and down at the driver's request. The data on power plant emissions is readily available through the EPA, so you can do these calculations yourself, but the Union of Concerned Scientists has a "mpg equivalent" map for different sections of the US grid, the latest numbers are from 2014:

2014-map_blog_5.19-1024x749.jpg

But to get a sense of where this is headed, best to check out this post which compares this map to what it looked like in 2009:

http://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-numbers-are-in-and-evs-are-cleaner-than-ever?_ga=2.99203865.669565143.1505074342-586829010.1425955103

This progress is largely a result of coal plants shutting down in favour of natural gas, wind and solar. Also good to keep in mind that, if you want to take this into your own hands, it's getting pretty easy and affordable to just generate your own electricity with rooftop solar. Awesome from a resilience perspective too, for the preppers out there.

• Like 4

The powertrain electrification plans should make Lincoln more competitive. Hopefully the upcoming Lincoln hybrids and plug ins will be distinct from Ford hybrids and plug ins, with more powerful motors and longer electric only range. Right now, almost all Lincoln cars and SUVs have the same engines and transmissions as Fords. That hurts Lincoln's image as a luxury car.

I don't think it is an issue to have the same motor necessarily, but I agree there should be differentiation between the two brands based on tuning at least. Every Lincoln should be more powerful than their perceived Ford counterpart.

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up about electric drivetrains and people not being able to work on them...uh I think Ford is going to train people how to fix them and I'm sure people said the same thing when the first ICE came into being..not to mention how many people actually "work" on cars today? Outside of oil changes and wear items (brakes, tune ups, etc) That I do myself, I've only had two situations since 2005 that I had to take a car to a dealership for repairs that I couldn't or didn't want to do. Cars are extremely reliable these days...they are more or less appliances for the vast majority of users out there.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up about electric drivetrains and people not being able to work on them...uh I think Ford is going to train people how to fix them and I'm sure people said the same thing when the first ICE came into being..not to mention how many people actually "work" on cars today? Outside of oil changes and wear items (brakes, tune ups, etc) That I do myself, I've only had two situations since 2005 that I had to take a car to a dealership for repairs that I couldn't or didn't want to do. Cars are extremely reliable these days...they are more or less appliances for the vast majority of users out there.

For some, Change = Bad. Things were always better the old way, and I don't want to learn anything new.

I haven't paid someone to work on my cars for at least 15 years. Having some experience under my belt now, I'm really only scared of models that didn't sell in great numbers. Parts get difficult to find and sometimes the stealership end up being the only option. Case in point, I ended up having to make new bushing sleeves on a lathe so that I could use universal urethane bushings in the rear control arms of my wife's Lincoln LS because I wasn't about to spend $300/arm (x4 for the entire rear end) at the dealership.

Anything sold in great numbers is bound to be cheap to work on once it's 15 years old. By then the aftermarket has come up with robust cost effective solutions to factory shortcomings. I don't think electrics will be significantly different. The only questionable thing is the battery packs as there's no way to really make them cheap. But experience thus far is showing they don't need replacing nearly as often as initially feared. That said, I can rebuild an ICE for about 1/10 the cost of replacement lithium battery packs.

For some, Change = Bad. Things were always better the old way, and I don't want to learn anything new.

Sometimes change for the sake of change sucks...that happens alot.

Pure electric cars are going to become more commonplace as time goes on...but to expect a wholesale change over to them in roughly the same time period that other electronic devices happened (Smart Phones, etc) is down right crazy. Its going to take at least 20 years or so before they make up at least 25% of the marketplace, because most people replace cars every 7-10 years. We won't be saying good bye to the ICE for at least another 30-40 years IMO.