Ford Performance Parts

Stray Kat

Hi XJR9, you raise a good point. Ford could capitalize so much better on their colorful heritage. I think the elephant in the room is how in demand classic FoMoCo's are even the ones that aren't called Mustang.

Earlier in this conversation one would get the impression that it would be up to Ford or any manufacturer to think of design and build every part and piece that they include under their umbrella.

Not so by a long shot. There are licensed products and there are catalog products, most of which are parts created in the aftermarket and are brought under the big umbrella.

My point was, and a point I could not articulate very apparently, that FPP could do a way better job at being more aware and coherent of the needs of certain categories of the aftermarket.

I believe Ford concedes too much in the category I participate in. There are about 10 part numbers away from completely flipping that situation in their favor.

No one I repeat NO ONE is going to do certain things without a little leadership from a strong captain with vision because and in this case the consumer will simply get their needs met by an already in place program at Gm or Mopar.

Furthermore Ford made an announcement several years back that they would be exiting certain professional race categories most notably NHRA Funny Car to pour more resources into grassroots enthusiasts. Well......... we're waiting.

I didn't think the whole FPP program was going to get gutted. It seems like it has.

Business is business and as was pointed out ad nauseum by a very enthusiastic person in this thread. For goshsakes I get it. I'm simply saying that with a little more creative thought FPP could use the power of aftermarket manufacturing and take care of a whole bunch of underserved business.

They almost don't have to risk a dime if they simply coordinate with parts makers under their licensing program.

GOSH ALL I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT IS THAT THEY HARDLY ACKNOWLEDGE ANYTHING BUT THE CURRENT MUSTANG.

Here's an example of a problem solver assembly that is already a done deal. The "Oilmate" by Racemate could make Ford engines more attractive to car builders.

It's all done and ready to go. Pull this into the Ford parts collection and build one crate engine with it ready to go.

I think FPP would be surprised at how well received that would be.

http://www.racemate.com

The question is "where are they lacking?"

Hmmm let me think.

First of all you are the one who brought up "crate" engines. A hot rodder rarely buys a crate engine. A hot rodder usually buys an engine from a salvage yard or builds an engine to his or her own specs.

Being that I'm into hot rodding early cars I'll tell you that none of the crate engines you listed are compatible in their current form with early car chassis. The SBF's are too long and require short front dress assemblies.

When you receive the crate engine you must immediately remove the front cover and replace it with a properly short timing cover and water pump. At that point you need pullies and brackets. Show me where I can get those from Ford.

Moreover why can't I buy a properly dressed SBF the likes of which I don't have to modify upon delivery.

Next tell me why I cannot easily retrofit an EB 3 cylinder to my rock crawler or sand rail. We see Ford teasing us with the Hot Wheels project I submitted earlier. When that project debuted at SEMA a few years ago I thought wow they are onto something, but again so far nothing that I can find. Opportunity lost.

Ford is falling behind or was never in many important enthusiast activities.

I'll say it again it's their choice for their own level of involvement in anything of course but it's a shame to see them miss opportunity.

Gee I wonder how I ever fit that '89 5.0 into my '34 3 window coupe with it being so long. I didn't change the front dress one bit. The secret is, wait for it.....an electric fan. Who would have thought of that?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey akirby, your wish for the dissolution of that silly Ford Performance Parts program might be just around the corner.

Check out the suggested retail prices of some of the "new parts" they are listed. How about $805.00 for an oil pump with billet gears?

Maybe they can sell a bunch of F150 5.0 valve cover covers for $300.00 a pair.

Last but not least let's grab some cobra emblems for a mere $109.00.

Plastic parts the last two examples.

Ford don't want to be in the performance business. That's pretty evident.

Hey akirby, your wish for the dissolution of that silly Ford Performance Parts program might be just around the corner.

Check out the suggested retail prices of some of the "new parts" they are listed. How about $805.00 for an oil pump with billet gears?

Maybe they can sell a bunch of F150 5.0 valve cover covers for $300.00 a pair.

Last but not least let's grab some cobra emblems for a mere $109.00.

Plastic parts the last two examples.

Ford don't want to be in the performance business. That's pretty evident.

I hear you on the price issue. Not long ago I was sort of interested in FPP's 5.3L modular shortblock assembly as an upgrade for the 4.6L in my '07 Sport Trac. It has the same overall size as the 4.6 since it is based on the same architecture. In other words, if I used 3V heads on the 5.3L it would be a direct bolt-in. I am still undecided mainly because of the price.

A junkyard Coyote sounds like a better idea until you start to realize the amount of other modifications that would be necessary to make it sort of work. Gaining 42 cubic inches of displacement with the 5.3 without tearing up the rest of the truck just seems so much easier.

So, do I spend nearly seven grand to beef up my 150k mile Sport Trac or just wait for the new Ranger and hope they put a decent engine in it?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6009-B53

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-ford-performance-5-3l-3v-modular-stroker-shortblock-kit/

I know a lot people are expecting the 2.7EB but there is always the possibility that 1: Ford decides they only need to be as good as the competition which means the 2.7 is overkill, or 2: The 2.7 (or Heaven forbid the 3.0L version of the Nano from the Continental?) will only be available in the higher content model(s) like a Ranger Raptor which might not be available at launch. My Sport Trac won't last forever...