Ford Products Timeline

They have to go 5 consecutive days with no build errors after job 1 before the ok to buy is given - at that point retail (sold) vehicles are scheduled and vehicles that come off the assembly line are shipped immediately. Prior to OK to buy they only build dealer stock and they are held for inspection and repair before shipping. I would expect to see dealer stock show up around 4-6 weeks after job 1 but in some cases it could be 2-3 months.

It should be noted that with such a massive retooling and an all new model, it could take a little longer than usual to work the bugs out.

It should be noted that with such a massive retooling and an all new model, it could take a little longer than usual to work the bugs out.

but also having experience with aluminum Super Duty in the same plant should help the move go smoothly,

They basically walk away form the old steel body shop and go over to the new aluminum body shop where

the Super Duty is now made and then most of the build processes and sequences are the same as the

aluminum truck save for the rear SUV part of the vehicle.

but also having experience with aluminum Super Duty in the same plant should help the move go smoothly,

They basically walk away form the old steel body shop and go over to the new aluminum body shop where

the Super Duty is now made and then most of the build processes and sequences are the same as the

aluminum truck save for the rear SUV part of the vehicle.

We were taking about the Ranger changeover, not Expy/Navi

We were taking about the Ranger changeover, not Expy/Navi

With regards the retooling and changeover, I recall Joe Hinrichs mentioning something in recent months

regarding Ford speeding up the process of changing over plants, Ford also has the advantage of existing

Ranger plant layouts to assist with improving on the process...

Edited by jpd80

...Their timeline for Escape/MKC doesn't make sense... ...While we have seen next-gen Escape mules already, MKC is looking like just a refresh for 2019, so not sure how they'd be adding those to the MKC lineup. Next-gen models for sure, but not the current ones.

I said elsewhere but wonder about comments here...

re: speculation about the Escape and MKC *nameplates* getting "un-coupled",

with the Escape going the usual route of plus-sizing

BUT the MKC getting slightly-shrunk and a new nameplate ("MKG"?) partnering with the larger ng Escape...

or

...maybe even built on something-else

?

Their timeline for Escape/MKC doesn't make sense. They're saying Escape and MKC will get hybrids/Plug ins for 2019. While we have seen next-gen Escape mules already, MKC is looking like just a refresh for 2019, so not sure how they'd be adding those to the MKC lineup. Next-gen models for sure, but not the current ones.

It makes sense. MKC will basically skip the mid cycle refresh and go straight to the new Escape based model. Mainly because Ford wants to start building the new one in China with the new Escape. The issue here appears to be a mix up of calendar and model year. Escape will probably launch as 2019 model and MKC as 2020 model.

Ford originally planned to move MKC to Mexico (obviously that would imply a new model) for 2019 model but reversed course after the election and said MKC will stay in the US. That means Escape will go a bit early in Mexico while Ford retools Louisville for the new Escape and MKC.

It makes sense. MKC will basically skip the mid cycle refresh and go straight to the new Escape based model. Mainly because Ford wants to start building the new one in China with the new Escape. The issue here appears to be a mix up of calendar and model year. Escape will probably launch as 2019 model and MKC as 2020 model.

I think they changed their minds on that decision too, there's MKCs driving around Dearborn with the Conti front end on them.

https://www.autoblog.com/photos/2018-lincoln-mkc/#slide-5339771

Ford originally planned to move MKC to Mexico (obviously that would imply a new model) for 2019 model but reversed course after the election and said MKC will stay in the US. That means Escape will go a bit early in Mexico while Ford retools Louisville for the new Escape and MKC.

I thought this too (that MKC would skip a refresh and go straight for a redesign), but as fuzzy pointed out, an MKC refresh with the Conti grille has already been spied, and will likely debut at one of the upcoming shows in a few months.

I think this is money well spent if this could be the 2018 model. I think this grill will fit nicely on the C and X, and draw positive attention to the vehicle.

It's a 2019 model. The 2018 order guide is already out, and wouldn't be surprised if they're already arriving at dealers.

It's hard to believe that Lincoln would release an MCE with Conti grille only to switch platforms inside 12 months.

Could the NG Escape / MKC be more like evolved versions of the current vehicles that incorporate new ideas

in construction and material but retain the same build process - something less intrusive than the usual product

cycle change over?

Just a thought.....

It's hard to believe that Lincoln would release an MCE with Conti grille only to switch platforms inside 12 months.

Could the NG Escape / MKC be more like evolved versions of the current vehicles that incorporate new ideas

in construction and material but retain the same build process - something less intrusive than the usual product

cycle change over?

Just a thought.....

We already know Escape is being stretched and widened. It figures to stand that MKC will too, which wouldn't go along with the MCE only theory

I think this is money well spent if this could be the 2018 model. I think this grill will fit nicely on the C and X, and draw positive attention to the vehicle.

icon_thumbs1.gif

...It's a 2019 model. The 2018 order guide is already out, and wouldn't be surprised if they're already arriving at dealers.

nope

MKC / Escape

6/12/2017 - 2018MY Order Bank Open Date

7/13/2017 - 2018MY Scheduling Begins

8/28/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date << just a couple days ago...IF on time

It's hard to believe that Lincoln would release an MCE with Conti grille only to switch platforms inside 12 months...

I doubt there's any structural changes for the new grille

I also doubt there's that many old parts laying around

AND if there are, they could ship them to China

;-)

We should be smack in the middle of launching the Ranger right now and getting ready to launch Bronco in the spring but no, hair boy had to delay everything because #reasons.

Instead I'm coming off a layoff week and staring at 3 more by the end of the year building a car with a shitbox Transmission that nobody wants.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

We should be smack in the middle of launching the Ranger right now and getting ready to launch Bronco in the spring but no, hair boy had to delay everything because #reasons.

We should have been building Rangers and Broncos since 2011 instead of Ford finding lame excuses not to...

Instead I'm coming off a layoff week and staring at 3 more by the end of the year building a car with a shitbox Transmission that nobody wants.

Fixed.. :)

Just imagine what could have been if FNA had the guts to back itself and get behind T6 Ranger and an SUV

over a decade ago...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Fixed.. :)

Just imagine what could have been if FNA had the guts to back itself and get behind T6 Ranger and an SUV

over a decade ago...

That's a bit of revisionist history there. It was only a year or a year and a half ago (prior to the Ranger/Bronco announcement) that most posters here were parroting the Ford company line about not needing a Ranger, that the F150 product line was all that was needed. I'm not arguing the position, just recollecting the mindset at the time.

That's a bit of revisionist history there. It was only a year or a year and a half ago (prior to the Ranger/Bronco announcement) that most posters here were parroting the Ford company line about not needing a Ranger, that the F150 product line was all that was needed. I'm not arguing the position, just recollecting the mindset at the time.

I think that was more than 18 months ago. Most of that was right after Mulally took over when F150 was only selling 500K, it would have taken a big investment to keep Ranger updated and it wasn't clear whether there was a market for a new small/mid pickup.

That changed due to 3 things:

F series sales have skyrocketed and are now pushing 1M per year which is close to maxing out production capacity. Therefore lost F150 sales are not a big issue.

GM proved there is a market with Canyorado. I certainly didn't believe it at the time as did most others. We were most definitely wrong.

Ford solved the issue of a bespoke platform and not enough volume for a new factory by adding Bronco and perhaps another utility to the plans. That makes it much more viable from a production standpoint.

• Like 2

There's a point of difference though,

History has shown that during that time, Mid sized truck sales at GM did not impact on full size truck sales

and IIRC, that was Ford's main objective to bringing Ranger to the US, a risk it wasn't willing to take.

The discussion at the time was that most people accepted Ford's judgement that not having Ranger

allowed Ford the opportunity to encourage buyers into other products like more F150s and Utilities.

That was in no way dismissing the Ranger as a valuable product and without being revisionist,

those posters supporting the company line were also completely open to a reversal of that position

if Ford ever saw fit to do that and bring Ranger to the US.

Edited by jpd80

That was in no way dismissing the Ranger as a valuable product and without being revisionist,

those posters supporting the company line were also completely open to a reversal of that position

if Ford ever saw fit to do that and bring Ranger to the US.

Right...and I suppose that's also why people with a different opinion were referred to as "the Ranger mafia".

But hey, you'll never hear me say "I told you so". :);)