Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone watch "Cars That Made America"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 07-May 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Edge Ltd AWD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

Watched a 4 (maybe 5) hour special last night called "Cars that Made America."  Very interesting historical background on Ford, Chrysler, the Dodge bros, and Sloan at GM.  Presented as a historical accounting and probably pretty true to form but I was a bit skeptical on some aspects.  All in all pretty interesting.  I know most of you all are more in tune with the history of the industry than I and am interested in some opinions from you guys. 

'53 Mercury Monterey | '55 Fairlane | '65 Mustang | '72 Maverick | '92 Explorer | '98 Explorer | '11 Edge | ?? |  USCG '77-'83 MSO LA/LB CGC Pt. Evans SAR Team 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

I watched it, saw some minor errors that made me chuckle - the '49 Ford debut and a brief display of advertising where the family could get two cars for more flexibility and the shot pans to a '55-'56 model and the one of Ed Cole taking Al Sloan out for a ride in a GM hotrod powered by a Ford flathead....other than that, it was interesting.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#3 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 07-May 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Edge Ltd AWD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

I did find that kind of funny also, as if you could simply bolt up a flathead into a GM drivetrain.  Also, I found it a little hard to believe that Harry Bennett squared off, guns drawn, with the former FBI guy (can recall his name.)  And Bennett's office looked to be in a parking structure.

And IIRC the Edsel was introduced in '59 the same year I was born.  While I understood that it was ill timed for the market, grossly over styled, and overpriced, my perception was that it actually was a pretty solid and well engineered car.  I could be wrong on that as I have no direct experience with the Edsel.

'53 Mercury Monterey | '55 Fairlane | '65 Mustang | '72 Maverick | '92 Explorer | '98 Explorer | '11 Edge | ?? |  USCG '77-'83 MSO LA/LB CGC Pt. Evans SAR Team 

#4 OFFLINE   Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • Joined 29-July 03
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 Screw 4X4

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

I got a chuckle out of the references to the GTO and John DeLorian.  Scenes showed the wrong years of cars and of DeLorian street racing a '63 Buick LeSabre 4-door with the Dynaflow transmission which was the ultimate dog of a full-sized car (401 V-8 with one-speed transmission).

Obviously this was put together by some Hollywood type and not a true car guy.

Bob

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·