Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone watch "Cars That Made America"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 07-May 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Edge Ltd AWD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

Watched a 4 (maybe 5) hour special last night called "Cars that Made America."  Very interesting historical background on Ford, Chrysler, the Dodge bros, and Sloan at GM.  Presented as a historical accounting and probably pretty true to form but I was a bit skeptical on some aspects.  All in all pretty interesting.  I know most of you all are more in tune with the history of the industry than I and am interested in some opinions from you guys. 

'53 Mercury Monterey | '55 Fairlane | '65 Mustang | '72 Maverick | '92 Explorer | '98 Explorer | '11 Edge | ?? |  USCG '77-'83 MSO LA/LB CGC Pt. Evans SAR Team 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

I watched it, saw some minor errors that made me chuckle - the '49 Ford debut and a brief display of advertising where the family could get two cars for more flexibility and the shot pans to a '55-'56 model and the one of Ed Cole taking Al Sloan out for a ride in a GM hotrod powered by a Ford flathead....other than that, it was interesting.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

#3 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 07-May 17
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Edge Ltd AWD

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

I did find that kind of funny also, as if you could simply bolt up a flathead into a GM drivetrain.  Also, I found it a little hard to believe that Harry Bennett squared off, guns drawn, with the former FBI guy (can recall his name.)  And Bennett's office looked to be in a parking structure.

And IIRC the Edsel was introduced in '59 the same year I was born.  While I understood that it was ill timed for the market, grossly over styled, and overpriced, my perception was that it actually was a pretty solid and well engineered car.  I could be wrong on that as I have no direct experience with the Edsel.

'53 Mercury Monterey | '55 Fairlane | '65 Mustang | '72 Maverick | '92 Explorer | '98 Explorer | '11 Edge | ?? |  USCG '77-'83 MSO LA/LB CGC Pt. Evans SAR Team 

#4 OFFLINE   Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 29-July 03
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 Screw 4X4

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

I got a chuckle out of the references to the GTO and John DeLorian.  Scenes showed the wrong years of cars and of DeLorian street racing a '63 Buick LeSabre 4-door with the Dynaflow transmission which was the ultimate dog of a full-sized car (401 V-8 with one-speed transmission).

Obviously this was put together by some Hollywood type and not a true car guy.

Bob

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·