Ford will balance present with future: CEO Jim Hackett

Not a lot of meat here, but thought you might enjoy trying to parse as much as possible from this article. A couple of select quotes:

Responding to criticism from dealers and investors about an aging product lineup, Hackett says that more new vehicles are in the pipeline. Dealers don't know everything the company is planning, Hackett said in a brief interview with The Associated Press. "We think dealers are really going to be happy with the vehicles we've got coming this year and what we've got in the hopper," he said, without giving specifics.

Although people in cities have more transport choices such as ride-hailing services Uber and Lyft, Hackett predicted that personal car ownership will survive. People already own vehicles and prefer to drive them knowing that they aren't used 90 percent of the time, Hackett said. "I'm not ready to admit that Ford is facing a world where it's losing a lot of personal buyers," he said. "But I would admit that they're going to have a lot more options."

Full article: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/08/17/ford-will-balance-present-with-future-ceo-jim-hackett.html

Edited by Harley Lover

Dealers are on the front line, they are getting hit both ways, ageing product and non-competitive financing conditions.

Hackett chose his words well to make them sound more than they actually were......

Dealers know exactly what products Ford has coming for MY2018 and that's why they are complaining

Escape, Edge, Explorer and Flex are not changing much, neither are Fiesta, Focus, Fusion or Taurus.

New or upgraded Products are F150, Mustang, Ecosport, Expedition and Navigator.

Edited by jpd80

Dealers are on the front line, they are getting hit both ways, ageing product and non-competitive financing conditions.

Hackett chose his words well to make them sound more than they actually were......

Dealers know exactly what products Ford has coming for MY2018 and that's why they are complaining

Escape, Edge, Explorer and Flex are not changing much, neither are Fiesta, Focus, Fusion or Taurus.

New or upgraded Products are F150, Mustang, Ecosport, Expedition and Navigator.

I think the bigger concern is what happens past next year...

2018 CY:

Ranger launches

Chinese/Euro Focus imports late that year

Taurus dies off

What I think will happen in 2019:

Bronco launch in late spring/early summer as a 2020

Refreshed/larger Escape and MKC

New Explorer/Aviator 2019 launch

Edge/MKX (possible rename?) Refresh

2020:

Fusion/MKZ replacement (CD6) or serious refresh (new tophat CD4 and other improvements)

F-150 Update/Hybrid

Expedition/Navi MCE/Hyrid

Electric Small SUV (Model E?)

Mustang refresh?/Hybrid (rumors about new platform in 2021...so hybrid might be delayed till then?)

Hopefully some of that stuff can be pushed up a few months.

• Like 1

I think the bigger concern is what happens past next year...

2018 CY:

Ranger launches

Chinese/Euro Focus imports late that year

Taurus dies off

What I think will happen in 2019:

Bronco launch in late spring/early summer as a 2020

Refreshed/larger Escape and MKC

New Explorer/Aviator 2019 launch

Edge/MKX (possible rename?) Refresh

2020:

Fusion/MKZ replacement (CD6) or serious refresh (new tophat CD4 and other improvements)

F-150 Update/Hybrid

Expedition/Navi MCE/Hyrid

Electric Small SUV (Model E?)

Mustang refresh?/Hybrid (rumors about new platform in 2021...so hybrid might be delayed till then?)

Hopefully some of that stuff can be pushed up a few months.

It depends on his meaning of "this year." If "this year" means things they're going to show for future products, then his comment makes sense. Otherwise, obviously dealers already know about 2018s. The major auto shows are about to start, and from that quote, it's sounding like Ford might have some concepts or surprise debuts in store for the shows this year I agree that they could use some excitement and at least some concepts to show where they're going after leaving some products on cruise control recently, but let's give them a chance before pulling out the pitchforks. If the shows come around and we get announcements that are powerpoint slides again, then it's fair to complain, but until then, I'm reserving judgment.

Refreshed MKC and MKX will be 2019s, which means they'll launch in 2018.

I think Escape will be a 2020 model, and MKC a 2021, like we saw with Edge/MKX (with MKC's refresh being a short one).

Actually I was thinking Bronco concept too. I wouldn't rule out an F-150 Hybrid or Edge refresh either.

Good point on all of those. Debuting some or all of these this year would certainly make up for last years' dud.

New York will probably be big for Lincoln. MKC and MKX refreshes.

I'm hoping we'll have a surprise for them too......an Aviator 'concept' or some sort of electrification concept would be nice.

Based on what I know, I don't think an Aviator concept will be happening. I think they're just going to debut the production model when it's ready. I could be wrong though. Recent precedent suggests I am. We shall see.

I'm assuming that would be a next year debut then? Meaning MKC/MKX refreshes would be it for Lincoln debuts, unless they surprise with some sort of electrification effort?

I'm assuming that would be a next year debut then? Meaning MKC/MKX refreshes would be it for Lincoln debuts, unless they surprise with some sort of electrification effort?

MKC/X debut 2018. Aviator is a 2020 model so production model will be probably be revealed sometime late 2018 I would think.

What are Ford's plans for car sharing and related services? Their acquisition of Chariot is a great start.

GM's Maven car sharing service has been very successful so far. Recently it expanded to include a service that offers flexible car leases to people who drive for Uber, Lyft, package delivery, etc. It's called Maven Gig. https://mavengig.maven.com/us/

MKC/X debut 2018. Aviator is a 2020 model so production model will be probably be revealed sometime late 2018 I would think.

Right C/X debut at the shows in a few months, on sale late 2018 as 2019 models. If Aviator is a 2020 model, wouldn't it debut at next years' (2019) shows with sales late 2019? I guess unless they showed it at its own event.

Edited by rmc523

Right C/X debut at the shows in a few months, on sale late 2018 as 2019 models. If Aviator is a 2020 model, wouldn't it debut at next years' (2019) shows with sales late 2019? I guess unless they showed it at its own event.

Judging by the Expedition reveal, I hope they stick to auto shows.

• Like 1

Judging by the Expedition reveal, I hope they stick to auto shows.

Agreed. That thing was terrible.

"can you click to the next slide?"

Here's a video! We're displaying it on this nice big video board behind me outside in the sun. Good luck seeing it everyone watching online!

---

Also, let's not do that thing again where they show their big reveal (F-150 refresh) days before the show, have nothing at the show, and weeks later randomly go "hey, here's Mustang! It's at Chicago, but no debut at that show either!"

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

Yeah you're right, I got my dates mixed up. All the more reason to believe there won't be a concept version shown.

Agreed. That thing was terrible.

"can you click to the next slide?"

Here's a video! We're displaying it on this nice big video board behind me outside in the sun. Good luck seeing it everyone watching online!

---

Also, let's not do that thing again where they show their big reveal (F-150 refresh) days before the show, have nothing at the show, and weeks later randomly go "hey, here's Mustang! It's at Chicago, but no debut at that show either!"

plus the 30 second videos announcing the return of the Ranger and Bronco that said absolutely nothing.

Yeah you're right, I got my dates mixed up. All the more reason to believe there won't be a concept version shown.

Ha no worries. I'd have said if they weren't debuting C/X refreshes, we might see a concept to generate some news.

plus the 30 second videos announcing the return of the Ranger and Bronco that said absolutely nothing.

I didn't realize there were videos, I didn't see it live. I haven't given them enough credit! All this time, I've only been giving them credit for nothing but a PowerPoint slide saying they were coming! Sorry Ford, I didn't know there were videos too (which I'm sure also showed nothing of significance)!

Ha no worries. I'd have said if they weren't debuting C/X refreshes, we might see a concept to generate some news.

I didn't realize there were videos, I didn't see it live. I haven't given them enough credit! All this time, I've only been giving them credit for nothing but a PowerPoint slide saying they were coming! Sorry Ford, I didn't know there were videos too (which I'm sure also showed nothing of significance)!

It would have been better without the videos. I saw it streamed live, and it sucked. Hugely!

Edited by fordmantpw

MKC and MKX with new fronts, are they just MCEs and if so, does that mean

the next product cycles are at least three years away from now?

MKX I'd say yes, 3 years.

MKC I think will be here in 2 years, so 2021. That would give it a 6-year cycle (though the refresh happened in year 4, not 3), and would be the year after a new Escape would debut for 2020, just like they did with the Edge/MKX launches.

After reading all the messages in this thread, I can't help but think about all the damage that former CEO Mark Fields inflicted in his three year tenure. Product development cycles have in general been pushed back several years while Ford corporate is trying to convince dealers how "new" and fresh the product lineup is. The reality is that the model lineup is getting dated with only minor updates except for a few vehicle lines. One of the principals that Alan Mulally tried to teach the Ford corporate culture was how important it is to introduce new models on a 3-year cycle in order to remain competitive, increase sales and market share and more. Instead, we're being told of promises that most likely won't be filled for several years later than needed, much in the way that Lincoln dealers have been promised all-new models.

What's not helping, as discussed in previous message threads, is Ford's eliminating the stair step incentive program from the Mulally era that encouraged dealers to exceed their sales objectives and earn substantial cash bonuses.

• Like 1