July 2017 Ford China sells over 84,000 vehicles; Lincoln up 68%

It was the counterpoint to LincolnLover's assertion that Navigator needs a V8.

At 450hp it doesn't need one but since all it competition do offer one it would be an nice option for maybe a street/off-road version?. A big cammed 6.2 or a truck tuned fpc 5.2 at 520hp or so?.

More the question of where is GM's 3.0 & 3.6 TTV6s?

Hidden away in relatively low production vehicles and out of reach of most buyers that might be interested.

That's a question, but not particularly relevant given the sales numbers of Chevy/GMC/Cadillac vs Ford/Lincoln full size SUVs. We might all bemoan the "ancient" pushrod V8s GM uses in those things but let's keep in mind that clearly the buying public doesn't much care as evidenced by the fact that GM is mopping the floor with Ford's TT-V6 offering in sales numbers.

I'm not saying the pushrod V8 is better but it wouldn't cost much for Ford to offer the 5.0L F-150 powertrain and it could only help close the gap in sales.

I've known a few guys with the EB Expys now. Same comments from each one of them: "it'll pass anything but a gas station!" No doubt the 3.5 makes power, but it doesn't appear to deliver an increase in fuel economy in the real world. So it's really just a different way of making power than what GM is using. Considering the 3.5eb probably costs Ford a good bit more per unit than those ancient pushrod motors GM is using, I'm not so sure GM is the dumb one in this situation....

Then there's the issue of your big bad truck sounds like a cross between a taurus and a mitsu 3000gt.....

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I've known a few guys with the EB Expys now. Same comments from each one of them: "it'll pass anything but a gas station!" No doubt the 3.5 makes power, but it doesn't appear to deliver an increase in fuel economy in the real world. So it's really just a different way of making power than what GM is using. Considering the 3.5eb probably costs Ford a good bit more per unit than those ancient pushrod motors GM is using, I'm not so sure GM is the dumb one in this situation....

How much of this is driver mod error? The 3.5L Ecoboost has more power then the last gen 5.4L unit in the Expedition...I know for a fact if you keep your foot into it your going to eat more fuel, just like you would with a V8. If you keep your foot out of it and well drive like grandpa you'll get MUCH better MPGs then a V8 would. At least you have option for Power or Economy.

Lets see how the Alu Expedition real world is vs a SUV that dates from 2003.

That's a question, but not particularly relevant given the sales numbers of Chevy/GMC/Cadillac vs Ford/Lincoln full size SUVs. We might all bemoan the "ancient" pushrod V8s GM uses in those things but let's keep in mind that clearly the buying public doesn't much care as evidenced by the fact that GM is mopping the floor with Ford's TT-V6 offering in sales numbers.

I'm not saying the pushrod V8 is better but it wouldn't cost much for Ford to offer the 5.0L F-150 powertrain and it could only help close the gap in sales.

We knew that Ford was gong to be in trouble if full sized SUVs became the next best thing.,

GM has its own dedicated SUV plant where Ford shares production with Super Duty.

So now, three years into this purple patch for large SUVs and the end still not in sight,

Ford finally get a new Expedition and Navigator to market...and it's luck to have barely

8,000 or maybe 10,000 per month production space...Hence the emphasis on F Series sales.

The advantage comes with CAFE numbers, Ford doesn't have a V8 with that much power and official fuel economy.

In another universe, the 6.2 would have DOHC, 4valves, PFDI and cylinder deactivation and be the engine many want.

The other big advantage the EB 3.5 has is its ability to be turned sideways and sold in FWD/AWD Utes and cars.

I think that was the biggest advantage over V8s when Ford was considering the two....

Fuel economy is always an issue with a powerful engine, especially when Ford was limited to a 6AT

while the competition has an 8AT but even then, the GM 6.2's official fuel economy trails the 3.5 EB

and something becoming more noticeable now that the 10AT has been available in F150 for the past year..

Then there's the issue of your big bad truck sounds like a cross between a taurus and a mitsu 3000gt.....

And yet over 70% of f150s sold are now V6 powered, and has been that way for quite a few years.

A result contrived by Ford not offering a decent V8 you might say but actual buyers have voted

with their wallets and checked the 2.7 EB or 3.5 EB box......Ford is betting the big Utes will build on that.

Edited by jpd80

In other news,

As of August, Lincoln sold another 5,240 (+102%) vehicles in China and year to dat - 34,393 (+94%)

All of those vehicles are imported form North Anerica. and coupled to USA's 73,920 sales,

Lincoln is now fast approaching 110,000 sales.and possibly 160,000 for the year.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

And yet over 70% of f150s sold are now V6 powered, and has been that way for quite a few years.

As long as you define "quite a few" as two model years. The second EB wasn't added 'til the '15 MY; before that, the Coyote and EB35 were pretty much equally split at 40-45% each, with the 6.2 and D37 picking up the slack. The Coyote is still on par with the two EBs, with each accounting for roughly 30% of the mix (this time with the D35 picking up the slack).

• Like 1