Toyota/Mazda to Build EVs at new $1.6 billion US plant

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/04/toyota-mazda-partner-to-build-evs-at-new-1-6-billion-us-plant/

Toyota and Mazda plan to build a $1.6 billion U.S. assembly plant, the two said on Friday, as part of an alliance that will also see the Japanese automakers jointly develop electric vehicle technologies.

The two will take small stakes in each other as part of the tie-up: Toyota, the world's second-largest automaker by vehicle sales last year, will take a 5 percent share of Mazda, extending its dominance in Japan's auto sector. Mazda will take a 0.25 percent share of its larger rival.

The plant will be capable of producing 300,000 vehicles a year, with production divided between the two automakers, and employ about 4,000 people. It will start operating in 2021.

As part of the agreement, Toyota and Mazda will also work together to develop in-car information technologies and automated driving functions.

The automakers plan to produce Toyota Corollas and a new Mazda SUV crossover at the new plant.

Toyota initially had been planning to produce Corollas at its new $1 billion plant currently under construction in Mexico, but this will shift to the United States, and the automaker will instead produce its Tacoma truck model in Mexico

One step closer to Mazda becoming a division of Toyota.

If Tacoma is going to Mexico, what replaces it at San Antonio? No way Tundra can keep that plant running by itself.

I'm glad Mazda has been doing well, but it's kind of a shame that Ford let them go.

If Tacoma is going to Mexico, what replaces it at San Antonio? No way Tundra can keep that plant running by itself.

Toyota Tacoma is currently assembled both in San Antonio (TMMTX) and Tijuana (TMMBC). Toyota said that it plans to produce Tacoma at its new Guanajuato plant but didn't say if there would be any impact to Tacoma production at TMMTX or TMMBC.

Sorry but I never thought that Ford got enough for it's 35% stake in Mazda and Mazda got most of the benefit with Ford produced Mazda versions of the Ranger and Escape models. I think that Mulally made the right decision with Ford selling its interst in Mazda.

There was one heck of a dynamic in play when Ford NA and Ford AP went with partnering Mazda products

over their own products form Ford Europe - When FAP got T6, Mazda was really pissed off and thought

that the mostly Aussie design team didn't have the engineering maturity to pull it off. Little did they know

just how much help Ford NA assisted the project via key development staff fresh from Explorer...

Ford-Mazda partnership was neither here nor there financially soFord wasn't really that exposed.

It was just another example of a brand Ford acquired and then had to administer causing another

level of complication. The shared Mazda products themselves were good but did nothing to help

Ford Europe who had to develop their own products anyway - Mulally saw all of it as duplication

and development cost burdens for Europe that was not amortized across the company.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

IS Focus just the beginning?

What if Fusion sales keep sliding, does Ford look at closing Hermosillo and importing Chinese Mondeo / Fusions?

Lol, I posted this the last time you posted that - Mondeo will likely be produced alongside Fusion at Hermosillo.

I hope not. If this is the path that they choose to take in the future I will seriously have to reconsider my affinity for Ford products. That would be pretty sad if the only America built sedans are from a foreign corporation.

It helps when they don't have to deal with unions.

Is Ford planning to assemble Fusion/Mondeo in China? I thought it was only Hermosillo and Valencia for that model.

Ford has made Mondeo in China for years, i was merely speculating that if Fusion sales go the way of Focus

then it would be possible to do the same and import form China but I would prefer to see that production

transfer to Flat Rock

Lol, I posted this the last time you posted that - Mondeo will likely be produced alongside Fusion at Hermosillo.

No if Fusion sales keep dropping....they won't bother with the added complication of a hatchback and stationwagon.

Edited by jpd80

No if Fusion sales keep dropping....they won't bother with the added complication of a hatchback and stationwagon.

Jpd, do you know which body-style sells most GLOBALLY?

( hard to imagine Buick leading the way but for the nextgen . . . )

Funny how we can get an American built Toyota Corolla but we have to have a Chinese Built Ford Focus. Go figure...

Yep! And Samsung and LG can build Appliances in the USA cheaper than Whirlpool and Maytag!

Foreign Corporations with factories in the USA have a tax advantage over American owned companies because they repatriate profits and are not bound to US federal corporate tax. This is the reason it is a big deal when we say "the profits are returned to the foreign countries". Never mind the tax breaks they get locally to build their factory there. It's like cable TV. The new guys get all the breaks and the long time customers pay the most.

Wake up America! We burden our own companies trying to compete and open the door for foreign companies to own our economy! At least one person in Washington gets it - working to lower the Corporate Tax!

• Like 2

Wake up America! We burden our own companies trying to compete and open the door for foreign companies to own our economy! At least one person in Washington gets it - working to lower the Corporate Tax!

It's amazing how many people don't get this simple concept. You don't tax a business - you tax the customers. Every dollar a business pays in taxes comes from the people buying their goods and/or services. Period. By cutting corporate taxes you allow businesses to better compete which keeps more jobs in the US.

Trying to force businesses to pay more taxes because you think CEOs make too much money or workers don't make enough is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Salaries don't mean anything if the jobs go away and you simply can't force any company to keep their operations in the US any more.

• Like 2

Hatchback is primarily a UK market thing so it is probably important enough for Ford to keep it going but only if Ford is sure UK fleet buyers won't take the sedan due of lack of hatchback options. Wagon is the main seller in Continental Europe so there is no question that Ford will keep making it as long as it wants to sell cars in Europe (can't say the same thing for next gen Holden Commodore for example, with GM withdrawing from Europe). Ultimately, I think producing Mondeo in Spain or Mexico won't make that much difference in the big scheme of things. It's a lot easier to ship Mondeo from Mexico than China in terms of logistic that is for sure. Nevermind the tariff situation favors Mexico. So I think if there is going to be consolidation, Spain is the one out in the cold. You will see two Mondeo production sites - China and Mexico.

Edited by bzcat

It's amazing how many people don't get this simple concept. You don't tax a business - you tax the customers. Every dollar a business pays in taxes comes from the people buying their goods and/or services. Period. By cutting corporate taxes you allow businesses to better compete which keeps more jobs in the US.

Trying to force businesses to pay more taxes because you think CEOs make too much money or workers don't make enough is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Salaries don't mean anything if the jobs go away and you simply can't force any company to keep their operations in the US any more.

Wholeheartedly agree, these US CEOs keep shipping and signing everything overseas for a quick buck and the overseas companies keep their operations going laughing at the American companies wondering how can you maintain profits and marketshare by giving everything away. It not just the car companies doing this.

Hatchback is primarily a UK market thing so it is probably important enough for Ford to keep it going but only if Ford is sure UK fleet buyers won't take the sedan due of lack of hatchback options. Wagon is the main seller in Continental Europe so there is no question that Ford will keep making it as long as it wants to sell cars in Europe (can't say the same thing for next gen Holden Commodore for example, with GM withdrawing from Europe). Ultimately, I think producing Mondeo in Spain or Mexico won't make that much difference in the big scheme of things. It's a lot easier to ship Mondeo from Mexico than China in terms of logistic that is for sure. Nevermind the tariff situation favors Mexico. So I think if there is going to be consolidation, Spain is the one out in the cold. You will see two Mondeo production sites - China and Mexico.

My post was regards to the suggestion that Ford might Add Mondeo Hatch and wagon to Hermosillo production,

not the ending of Mondeo production elsewhere....

I doubt Europe will want to give up Mondeo production after moving it to Spain, especially if it's being built

in a cost effective multi-functional plant building S-max and Galaxy amongst others...

The fact that Ford didn't want Focus production at Hermosillo shows that it didn't want to pays for reconfiguring

another Focus plant - I suspect that logic follows throw a line to why we won't see Mondeo out of there either.

Edited by jpd80

My post was regards to the suggestion that Ford might Add Mondeo Hatch and wagon to Hermosillo production,

not the ending of Mondeo production elsewhere....

I doubt Europe will want to give up Mondeo production after moving it to Spain, especially if it's being built

in a cost effective multi-functional plant building S-max and Galaxy amongst others...

The fact that Ford didn't want Focus production at Hermosillo shows that it didn't want to pays for reconfiguring

another Focus plant - I suspect that logic follows throw a line to why we won't see Mondeo out of there either.

Well, with the shift toward crossovers, I wonder if S-Max and Galaxy are long for this world.

Well, with the shift toward crossovers, I wonder if S-Max and Galaxy are long for this world.

Hard to know but Ford will want ifs money back on those as they were delivered after CD4 Mondeo.

Looking at sales,

Hermosillo could be back on one shift and unless Ford has plans for more product there, I see it closing

and Fusion production moving elsewhere, If Ford is planning something like that, then it would also explain

why Focus was switched to China...

Edited by jpd80