GM July 2017 Sales Down 15.4%

rmc523

Eh, that's a stretch to me. The GLE and GLC coupes at least share everything except the rear roof sections/rear ends. The CLS doesn't share anything aside from a platform.

Actually GLE and GLE coupe shares NOTHING. GLE coupe is on the new generation platform while GLE is still on the previous gen.

Same thing with E-class and GLS which is currently on different platforms.

Huh? CLS is a 4 door. E-Class has its own coupe.

Number of doors doesn't determine whether something is a coupe or sedan. You can have 2 door sedans and 4 door coupes. But I'm sure you knew that already :headspin:

Number of doors doesn't determine whether something is a coupe or sedan. You can have 2 door sedans and 4 door coupes. But I'm sure you knew that already :headspin:

Of course it does. Just because somebody decided one day to call a 4 door a coupe doesn't mean it's accurate.

Sedans have 4 doors. Coupes have 2. Period.

Mercedes calls these cars "four-door coupes." VW does the same thing with the CC.

Plymouth offered the "Gran Coupe" package on the 1971 Fury, and it was available on the hardtop sedans. At this year's Chryslers at Carlisle event there was a 1971 Fury Gran Coupe hardtop sedan on the show field.

Edited by grbeck

Mercedes calls these cars "four-door coupes." VW does the same thing with the CC.

Plymouth offered the "Gran Coupe" package on the 1971 Fury, and it was available on the hardtop sedans. At this year's Chryslers at Carlisle event there was a 1971 Fury Gran Coupe hardtop sedan on the show field.

They did come in both 2 and 4 door configurations.

http://www.fuselage.de/ply71/grancoupe.html

Of course it does. Just because somebody decided one day to call a 4 door a coupe doesn't mean it's accurate.

Sedans have 4 doors. Coupes have 2. Period.

4 door coupes are not a new concept. It has existed since the dawn of automotive age.

2 door sedans was once the most popular body style in the US.

The word coupe means "chopped". As in vehicles featuring a modified (generally lower) roof line. Number of doors is incidental not the determining factor.

Edited by bzcat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9

"The International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defines a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.[16]"

"Four-door coupé

A luxury sedan with classic coupé-like proportions. The low roof design reduces back seat passenger access and headroom.[21]"

Standard name for the trunkback Mustang in the 80s was the Mustang sedan.

Mercedes nomenclature had that brief 10-15 year run where it made sense, and now it doesn't anymore.

I find their use of C, E, S, SL, and G designators pretty easy to follow. It's a departure from the original German, though.

Now, the trailing numbers don't make any sense whatsoever, but I've become desensitized to that.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

From what I read the departed Chrysler 200 had terrible headroom or something with the door openings....so....

Yes.the shape of the rear door openings was a huge error - looks great but terrible for rear passengers.

1401217443-200C-side.JPG

Edited by jpd80