PIUs pulled for Carbon Monoxide

Why do you keep insisting that this is a vehicle problem when it's clearly a problem with aftermarket installation?

Great to see that Ford has identified the issue in the PIU as poor installation of Police gear

that was done by third party contractors after the vehicles left the factory.

I'm confident that Ford will also get to the bottom of the "exhaust smell in the cabin" issue that some

regular Explorers are reporting. Compared to the 1.3 million produced, these seem to be a small number

so I'm assuming that again, it's an issue with rear sealing, either around lights or the hatch itself.

Edited by jpd80

^^^^ only when it comes to PIUs. Still a civilian issue.

There is no CO issue with civilian explorers. There is a short term exhaust smell issue that happens infrequently that appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle.

NOT THE SAME PROBLEM!

Akirby, there is a CO problem. I posted a YouTube video of it in here and also the link to the now 94 page thread. I have seen multiple people post about their CO meters registering CO in the Explorer forums. Some put them by the tailgate, some plug them I to the outlet behind the center co sole.

If you are smelling your own exhaust, you are breathing in CO. If you are registering 13PPM between the front 2 seats when accelerating WOT, you are getting CO.

Please stop saying there is no CO issue in Civilians. People have been complaining about it for years and there is absolutely a CO issue.

Edited by blwnsmoke

This is the first I've heard of any CO problem on the civilian models. All I've seen or heard before was that there was an exhaust smell on a small percentage of vehicles and only at WOT. A whiff of exhaust is not a CO problem. You'd get the same thing just standing behind the vehicle with the engine running.

If there are cases where the CO levels are constant and higher than normal then I'd agree that it's a similar situation. I just haven't seen it yet.

There have been many reports of having to roll down windows because the exhaust fumes are so bad. Men having their wives get sick and bad headaches because of it.

And as the NHTSA has stated, 2,700 complaints and climbing.

The YouTube video I posted in this thread shows 13PPM of CO just by WOT with the A.C. on. That should not be happening... no vehicle sho uld be I troducing CO from the rear of the vehicle to the inside of the cabin.

I understand the rotten egg smell from the cat and I understand the smell of vehicles in front of you that may stink, but not your exhaust and CO entering in from the rear.

Ooh, that smell: NHTSA investigates Ford Explorer exhaust leaks

Can't you smell that smell? Not necessarily, if carbon monoxide's involved.

LINK - Car Industry

by Andrew Krok

July 5, 2016 1:52 PM PDT

The NHTSA is taking a look at 2011-2015 Ford Explorers after it received 154 complaints of exhaust smells in the passenger compartment. Some complainants expressed concern about carbon monoxide exposure. From the complaints, it appears that the smell may occur during full throttle events, or when the air conditioning is on and the HVAC system is set to recirculation mode.

Ford issued two technical safety bulletins (TSBs) that appear to relate to this issue. One specifies sealing and coating the rear floor pan and body seams, as well as replacing an air extractor and installing drain valves, and the other adds software changes to the mix. A TSB alerts service departments to an issue and explains how to potentially remedy said issue. Not all TSBs are related to recalls or investigations.

Logic is that if exhaust smell is present in sufficient quantities then there will be CO as well.

but if Ford engineers can get hold of a few of thse customer's vehicles, they might find the

cause as quickly as they did with the PIUs.

Edited by jpd80

There is no CO issue with civilian explorers. There is a short term exhaust smell issue that happens infrequently that appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle.

NOT THE SAME PROBLEM!

To date, no substantive data or actual evidence (such as a carboxyhemoglobin measurement) has been obtained
supporting a claim that any of the alleged injury or crash allegations were the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the
alleged hazard. ODI has obtained preliminary testing that suggests, however, that CO levels may be elevated in
certain driving scenarios, although the significance and effect of those levels remains under evaluation as part of the
EA.