PIUs pulled for Carbon Monoxide

This still makes it sound like Ford was at fault.

Everything I have heard/read has used the word "aftermarket". I would say the fact that Ford has been very proactive (finally) and said they will cover .."aftermarket installations" should serve to keep up a good image as a responsible provider of vehicles to the law enforcement community.

Everything I have heard/read has used the word "aftermarket". I would say the fact that Ford has been very proactive (finally) and said they will cover .."aftermarket installations" should serve to keep up a good image as a responsible provider of vehicles to the law enforcement community.

WE know it was aftermarket modifications but the way this particular article was written doesn't necessarily make that clear especially the part where Ford engineers helped troubleshoot the problem. I just think the author could have made it more clear that this wasn't Ford's fault and that Ford was going above and beyond to get them fixed.

• Like 1

It may be wise not to finger who's to blame at the moment as Ford scrambles to get on top of this issue.

Sure, there may well be cracks in manifolds but the real issue is exhaust gas where it shouldn't be,

inside the cabin. so if it's not coming through HVAC ducts, then that points to body leaks.

It may be wise not to finger who's to blame at the moment as Ford scrambles to get on top of this issue.

Sure, there may well be cracks in manifolds but the real issue is exhaust gas where it shouldn't be,

inside the cabin. so if it's not coming through HVAC ducts, then that points to body leaks.

But that only happens for a few seconds at a time at WOT or similarly short intervals which is completely different than the PIU with aftermarket mods. It may be somewhat related but it's not at all the same problem.

But that only happens for a few seconds at a time at WOT or similarly short intervals which is completely different than the PIU with aftermarket mods. It may be somewhat related but it's not at all the same problem.

or it could be as simple as sealing around the tail lights, back hatch or some such nonsense...

or it could be as simple as sealing around the tail lights, back hatch or some such nonsense...

If it were that simple they'd have already done it. Plus the smell seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle, not the rear. Different problems.

That officers lawsuit is pretty disappointing. Especially since this is looking more and more like aftermarket installation issues. Sure I get going after the deepest pockets but I'm not convinced that she'll win that lawsuit. I suspect Ford will vigorously defend themselves against any of these lawsuits to prevent precedent.

Edited by tbone

So that officer is suing Ford for upfitter Workmanship. That's crap. I think she's an opportunist. Sue the department or the modifier. I hope it doesn't hold up in court. This is what's wrong with our country. At some point shit happens in life. She then goes to say this could have happened and that could have happened. But guess what it didn't. Shame on you officer.

• Like 1

It's going to be very hard to get a jury in a civil case to fully blame Ford for alterations to the integrity of the vehicle after aftermarket installs. plus With Ford willingly helping Departments fix the damage done by aftermarket installers it, it shows them working to reasonably correct an issue they did not create..

I've seen similarly stupid lawsuits succeed - like the one where a drunk driver ran of the road and flipped their explorer and were ejected and killed because they weren't wearing seat belts. Plaintiffs argued that Ford should have used laminated safety glass on the side windows to keep the unbelted drunk occupants inside when they crashed themselves. And they won millions. I think Ford appealed but don't know what happened. That was a travesty.

So that officer is suing Ford for upfitter Workmanship. That's crap. I think she's an opportunist. Sue the department or the modifier. I hope it doesn't hold up in court. This is what's wrong with our country. At some point shit happens in life. She then goes to say this could have happened and that could have happened. But guess what it didn't. Shame on you officer.

Agreed, shame on her. Like I said very disappointing, especially when she tries to put the blame squarely on Ford.

I've seen similarly stupid lawsuits succeed - like the one where a drunk driver ran of the road and flipped their explorer and were ejected and killed because they weren't wearing seat belts. Plaintiffs argued that Ford should have used laminated safety glass on the side windows to keep the unbelted drunk occupants inside when they crashed themselves. And they won millions. I think Ford appealed but don't know what happened. That was a travesty.

What's also a travesty is lawyers who are willing and encourage cases like that. I guess they are laughing all the way to the bank though.

From what I've been told, most lawsuits like this either get overturned or significantly reduced on appeal.

I'm curious why this seems to be impacting the PIU and not, say, the PI. Surely upfitters are likely just as bad at sealing things up on other vehicles, right?

I think there is a difference in aerodynamics in the rear of the vehicle due to the tall rear hatch. This is obvious seeing the dirt that accumulates on the rear of the vehicle.

I think there is a difference in aerodynamics in the rear of the vehicle due to the tall rear hatch. This is obvious seeing the dirt that accumulates on the rear of the vehicle.

Not to mention, the trunk is separated from the cabin, whereas in the PIU, the rear compartment is part of the cabin.

Leave the rear tailgate open on a Utility and I bet you get gassed up like we would with the older V8 station wagons.

I think this issue in both PIU and Explorer is all down to leaks in the rear of the vehicle, be that shoddy installation

of police equipment or bad sealing around the rear hatch or tail lights or some such.

B99563072Z.1_20170809094440_000_G3H1JKOI

Edited by jpd80