PIUs pulled for Carbon Monoxide

It's happening to factory stock Explorers so it's not an aftermarket problem. They've been trying to find the problem for at least a few years. Maybe this publicity will get more resources assigned to find and fix it now.

I agree that Ford should just be buying back these faulty vehicles.

Getting more interesting:

NHTSA also said it recently learned that the Police Interceptor version of the Ford Explorer was experiencing exhaust manifold cracks, “which appear to present a low level of detectability, and may explain the exhaust odor.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/us-expands-probe-into-ford-explorers-over-carbon-monoxide-concerns/ar-AAoX4J4?li=BBnbfcN

Ford has refused to respond to-or so its reported.

That assertion seems to be directly refuted by this:

Ford has issued multiple technical service bulletins related to the exhaust odor issue to address complaints from police fleets and other owners, NHTSA said.

Ford said in a statement a dedicated company team is working with police, NHTSA and others “to investigate reported issues and solve them.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/us-expands-probe-into-ford-explorers-over-carbon-monoxide-concerns/ar-AAoX4J4?li=BBnbfcN

Edited by Harley Lover

I have noticed an exhaust smell in my 2015 Explorer and my 2016 Grand Caravan but it only happens on both of them after WOT . I guess I am going to have to run a test on both of them with the rear AC turned off to see what happens then.

Thanks and from your link,

In California, a police officer appeared to pass out behind the wheel of his Explorer and slammed into a tree. Since that crash, departments across the country had installed carbon monoxide detectors in their cruisers, including the Kansas Highway Patrol, where one-third of the explorers patrolling the state turnpike have registered high levels of carbon monoxide.

You would think that positive confirmation of nigh carbon monoxide levels detected in LEVs would now be enough

to trigger an NTSB investigation into this and why Ford has clearly been dragging its feet. I wonder if this will be

revealed as an inherent ventilation flaw that can't be fixed by changing seals..

If anyone wants to watch video of a CO detector and the readings you get when you are doing WOT.

I'm sure most civilians don't go WOT often so I believe there to be more out there then have been reported due to not duplicating the issue. The PIUs are more likely to go WOT over and over when going after law breakers or going to emergencies which would duplicate the problem more often.

I'm hearing so many different causes that I think that's what makes this so difficult to repair. I've heard manifold cracks, I've heard exhaust flange welds. I think ford should have the techs smoke test the exhaust system first for leaks. Then proceed to finding air leaks in th body. Multiple wots will make the cats stink from the unburned fuel. In that video, I wonder how many other vehicles would do the same thing with multiple runs.

For those that say Ford isn't doing anything. This advance recall notice was just issued. I'd say that was pretty quick.

"Today, Ford Motor Company is taking action to address the concerns of first responders driving Ford

Police Interceptor Utility vehicles. Drivers of regular, non-police Ford Explorers have no reason to be

concerned.

While there have been reports of exhaust odors in some regular Explorers, those instances are

unrelated to reports of carbon monoxide described by some police departments. If a vehicle has such

an odor, customers should bring it to a Ford dealer to address that issue.

Fords investigation into this issue is ongoing. However, the company has discovered holes and

unsealed spaces in the back of some Police Interceptor Utilities that had police equipment installed

after leaving Fords factory.

When a police or fire department routinely install customized emergency lighting, radios and other

equipment, they have to drill wiring access holes into the rear of the vehicle. If the holes are not

properly sealed, it creates an opening where exhaust could enter the cabin"

SERVICE ACTION

"To address these concerns, Ford is announcing today it will cover the costs of specific repairs in every

Police Interceptor Utility that may have this concern, regardless of age, mileage or aftermarket

modifications made after purchase. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers mid-August

2017, when it is anticipated that repair instructions will be available to support this program.

Ford will:

1. Check and seal off the rear of the vehicle where exhaust can enter.

2. Provide a new air conditioning calibration that brings in more fresh air during heavy

acceleration typical of police driving.

3. Check for engine codes that could indicate a damaged exhaust manifold."

Edited by fordtech1

I just saw this in the autonews article.-LINK

Ford said it will cover the costs of specific repairs in every Police Interceptor Explorer SUVs that may be tied to after-market installation

of police equipment. The company said the modifications may have left holes in the underbody of the vehicles.

"If the holes are not properly sealed, it creates an opening where exhaust could enter the cabin," Ford said in a statement.

Edited by jpd80

Fordtech, although this MIGHT be a solution (doubtful), the fact that this sentence was even stated is ridiculous.

"Drivers of regular, non-police Ford Explorers have no reason to be concerned."

I am on the Explorer forum daily like i am here and we have a 94 page thread dating back to the middle of 2011 about this exact issue on non PIU vehicles. TSBs from dropping the exhaust and sealing up areas to then TSBs requiring the exhaust mufflers to be replaced with redesigned ones which also don't fix the problem. If we as regular drivers don't have to be concerned, then why has Ford been working on a fix since 2013 that continues to fail?

And we are not confusing the smell with the rotten egg smell that you get from the cats getting heated up with unburnt fuel. We are talking about straight exhaust fumes entering the cabin. On the Explorers in the winter time, when you hammer it, you can't see out the back window. The rear window is completely engulfed in Exhaust (the white exhaust you see until it is warmed up). I think it is a rear end aerodynamics issue causing the exhaust to essentially wrap itself around the entire rear end. I know SUVs get dirty in the back but the Explorer's due to the aerodynamics get completely disgusting. It is by far the dirtiest vehicle I've owned in regards to the rear end from just every day driving.

I know no one is going to go through 94 pages but here is a link to our ongoing discussion.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/bad-or-burnt-exhaust-smell-in-cabin-during-acceleration.323597/

To add to what I stated here, Ford Dealers have performed the TSBs and have documented that the problem still exists so there without a doubt is a reason for civilian owners to be concerned. And I'll leave this with.. why has Ford bought back Explorers through Lemon Law because of this exact issue with civilian ones?

I'm Blue to the core but the only reason Ford is taking such swift action is because it has to do with Law Enforcement.

Edited by blwnsmoke

^^^^^^^^^^^

They also said this....

"While there have been reports of exhaust odors in some regular Explorers, those instances are
unrelated to reports of carbon monoxide described by some police departments. If a vehicle has such
an odor, customers should bring it to a Ford dealer to address that issue."

The pui bulletin goes from 2011-2017. This civilian explorer tsb is just to 2015. Wonder if they will update it.

Some 2011-2015 Explorer vehicles may exhibit an exhaust odor in the vehicle with the auxiliary climate control system on. Customers may indicate the odor smells like sulfur, or that exhaust odors are entering the vehicle cabin. This condition may be worsened when the climate control system is in recirculate mode and the vehicle is heavily accelerated for an extended period. Whether and to what extent any customer or occupant of a 2011-2015 Explorer vehicle experiences the exhaust odor will be affected by driving habits, weather and individual sensitivities.

ACTION:

Follow each and every step of the Service Procedure in procedure 1 to improve the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURES

Note: The Service Procedure consists of 2 separate repair routines. Most vehicles will not require the second procedure.

Procedure 2 does not apply to vehicles equipped with the 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) and 3.5L GTDI engines.

Note: The body sealing steps in this procedure are critical elements in helping to manage subjective odor concerns.

Edited by fordtech1

Just an interesting note, I can see why some departments like Austin Texas is having more issues than others. If the problem is caused by aftermarket accessory installation, they probably use the same modifier to every unit. Meaning they drill holes the same in every vehicle. We had 15 cvpi that all needed fuel tanks because they screwed brackets inside the trunk with huge screws and punctured the tank causing an evap leak.

• Like 2

There seems to be a big difference between the regular temporary exhaust leaks and what is happening with the PIUs. I don't think ford is trying to downplay the ongoing exhaust issue on non-PIUs.

Aerodynamics may be a factor. However, when idling for long periods of time no air is flowing around the vehicle. Thus, poor body sealing would make the most sense. Also, the rear ac unit could be pulling in and circulating that leaked in exhaust through poor seams. We will see how this plays out. Plus, maybe now civilian explorers can get repaired satisfactory since it's a big issue now.

Lead story on the 10PM Fox affiliate in Boston. Repeated again this morning. Featured a chief from a local department who had bought detectors for all his Explorers. Story did not say he had a problem-just that he was being cautious. He also had favorable words for decision to go with PIU-ground clearance, winter performance etc. Story went on to say another department had installed detectors in all 15 of theirs.

Again, story did NOT talk about confirmed problems but it seems the media will feed on this for a while.

I the meantime they continue to report Austin TX has.."pulled all 400 of their Ford Explorers off the road". I find that hard to believe-how many spares does Austin have??