PIUs pulled for Carbon Monoxide

Next generation isn't that far away. I don't think Ford is worried about that right now. Not yet at least.

Except the cop(s) that have to drive the Poison Inhalation Utility (PIU)......

IMO looks like the exhaust tips are too short on it, they can extend them beyond the bumper like the civil Explorer, some "curb hopping" ability maybe diminished but the results would be a safer vehicle.

Except the cop(s) that have to drive the Poison Inhalation Utility (PIU)......

IMO looks like the exhaust tips are too short on it, they can extend them beyond the bumper like the civil Explorer, some "curb hopping" ability maybe diminished but the results would be a safer vehicle.

That makes sense except it's coming out of the HVAC system, that much has been determined. What they can't quite figure out is how and why.

All they can do right now is advise them to keep the recirculating system off if they're idling for long periods and install CO detectors while they try to come up with a permanent fix.

You misssd my point. I don't think Ford is too worried about losing sales since the next gen is only 1-2 years away. Of course they're trying to find a fix, but to do that they need to find a cause first.

I missed your point by linking to the earlier thread?

I have been driving PIU vehicles now with my Sheriff's Office for several years now. What seems strange to me is it's not all the vehicles. My department has at least a couple hundred of these vehicles driving around and I have heard of one PIU being turned in for the exhaust fumes in the cab. Whatever is causing it is not consistent, and is either occuring as a manufacturer defect or being created with wear. I personally have not had this issue and my units idle forever, probably more then drive time due to checkpoints and other patrol activity.

I have been driving PIU vehicles now with my Sheriff's Office for several years now. What seems strange to me is it's not all the vehicles. My department has at least a couple hundred of these vehicles driving around and I have heard of one PIU being turned in for the exhaust fumes in the cab. Whatever is causing it is not consistent, and is either occuring as a manufacturer defect or being created with wear. I personally have not had this issue and my units idle forever, probably more then drive time due to checkpoints and other patrol activity.

That's part of why they haven't been able to pinpoint the exact source or find a fix is because it's so inconsistent.

We several new ones on order, this time I will be getting the Ecoboost version. One of the Deputies in my unit has one and it is definitely quick.. really impressed with how smooth the power is.

How well have your current units been holding up? The RWD Hemi Chargers have been unreliable with my Department (Indiana State Police). So now they decided to spend more money and have switched to AWD Chargers. :doh: Cant wait to see the maintenance nightmare these will be! I have not heard many complaints about them from the guys because they love how fast they are. We started the switch in 2011 and still have about 1/3 fleet with CVPI, including me. :victory: They started using Tahoes for Commercial Vehicle Troops, but quit buying them due to cost. Several of them are still in CVPIs with pretty high mileage due to not having a vehicle that can haul portable scales. Last I heard, they looked at PIU but decided to get 4WD trucks, most likely Rams. :doh:

• Like 1

This exhaust issue is being caused from WOT accelerations, not idling. It I

Happens with the 3.5 and 3.5 ecoboost.

They have tried installing new mufflers where the exhaust tips point down and it has helped but doesnt eliminate it.

It has even happened on the 16s and 17s but not nearly as often as the 11-15s. This is not a 2 year problem.. it has been going on for over 6 years.

It is entering from the rear (not the front).. whether the HVAC or the rear hatch.

How well have your current units been holding up? The RWD Hemi Chargers have been unreliable with my Department (Indiana State Police). So now they decided to spend more money and have switched to AWD Chargers. :doh: Cant wait to see the maintenance nightmare these will be! I have not heard many complaints about them from the guys because they love how fast they are. We started the switch in 2011 and still have about 1/3 fleet with CVPI, including me. :victory: They started using Tahoes for Commercial Vehicle Troops, but quit buying them due to cost. Several of them are still in CVPIs with pretty high mileage due to not having a vehicle that can haul portable scales. Last I heard, they looked at PIU but decided to get 4WD trucks, most likely Rams. :doh:

So the RWD models were unreliable, so lets get the same thing with more complex AWD systems? That makes sense...

This exhaust issue is being caused from WOT accelerations, not idling. It I

Happens with the 3.5 and 3.5 ecoboost.

They have tried installing new mufflers where the exhaust tips point down and it has helped but doesnt eliminate it.

It has even happened on the 16s and 17s but not nearly as often as the 11-15s. This is not a 2 year problem.. it has been going on for over 6 years.

It is entering from the rear (not the front).. whether the HVAC or the rear hatch.

That almost sounds like the PTU issues that Flex and others were having years ago.

The most regular fixed items in the first years units was some PTU failures but I don't see that anymore. Now there seems to be some cheap sensors that cause check engine lights to come on but doesn't cuase issues with the way it runs. I have not seen any major or catastrophic failures from our units. I have 100k on my 13 AWD 3.7L. I totaled a 14 model stopping a wrong way driver a couple years ago, it had 26k with no issues. They seem to hold up very well compared to our PD's dodges..... They have since switched to the utilities also.

• Like 1

I don't know if this problem has any relationship to something I have experienced in my 2011 3.5 V6 Edge; but it sounds somewhat similar. At times, particularly with the A/C running, that I "step on the gas" for more than a couple seconds; a strange odor enters the cabin. At first, I dismissed as coming from the car/truck in front of me; but overtime, I know it is the Edge. Exhaust smell is different from the old days; so I can't say for sure where the strong smell comes from; but there is no denying that something is out of order. After a few minutes of easy driving , the odor goes away. After reading this thread, I'm going to take a detector with me to see if CO is entering the cabin.

I don't know if this problem has any relationship to something I have experienced in my 2011 3.5 V6 Edge; but it sounds somewhat similar. At times, particularly with the A/C running, that I "step on the gas" for more than a couple seconds; a strange odor enters the cabin. At first, I dismissed as coming from the car/truck in front of me; but overtime, I know it is the Edge. Exhaust smell is different from the old days; so I can't say for sure where the strong smell comes from; but there is no denying that something is out of order. After a few minutes of easy driving , the odor goes away. After reading this thread, I'm going to take a detector with me to see if CO is entering the cabin.

Take a look at TSB 14-0201

Well tonight this made the CBS network nightly news. Not exactly good press-in particular when it is being presented as not a new problem and more importantly one that Ford has refused to respond to-or so its reported. I can't believe that Ford has not bought back the vehicles that were involved in the most flagrant cases of "poisoning" and taken these vehicles apart. Is it in fact a Ford problem? Is it an aftermarket installation problem? Time to find out for sure.

IMO it is only going to get worse and the apparent inaction is just going to bite them in the ass.