As full-size sedans die off, Impala could be next on the chopping block

silvrsvt

http://autoweek.com/article/rumormill/full-size-sedans-die-impala-could-be-next?utm_source=DailyDrive20170725&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Few cars have enjoyed as much success as the Impala. Its collapse since the recession has been equally stunning, with 2017 marking the car's seventh consecutive year of declining sales.

Even in 2014, after it was last redesigned, the Impala dominated the large-car segment. But after its sales plummeted 45 percent in the first half of 2017, the Impala now trails the Dodge Charger and the Maxima.

t gets worse. Retail sales of the Impala have fallen 57 percent this year, to just 10,707 units in six months. Two-thirds of the Impalas sold in 2017 went to airport car-rental lots and other fleet operators.

• Like 1

It's a demographics game... the people who may buy a fullsize sedan are probably older baby boomers like my parents... and they have probably already bought the last new one they will ever buy.

Younger baby boomer just entering retirement and Gen Xers in their peak earning years are buying CUVs and luxury cars, not fullsize sedans.

And Gen Y are probably never going to even buy a midsize sedan.

Edited by bzcat

Yeah, I know... cheap gas, etc. but I'm constantly amazed at the overwhelming obsession that the market has towards trucks and SUV's. While I'm obviously a big fan of Ford products, I've been impressed with how far Chevrolet has come with their vehicle designs being the best ever for the Bow Tie division. Today's automotive car market reminds me of what happened with cell phones after Apple introduced the iPhone. Apple as a consumer electronics firm is brilliant at packaging design and creating a "cool" factor that alone drives market demand. It might not be the best product in the market but if people perceive it to be the "cool" product they'll buy it. Customers today are buying trucks, CUV's and SUV's not necessarily because they have a need for those vehicles' particular attributes but because they want them, need or not. And the truck and SUV sales continue to grow as the market perceptions, popularity, etc. feed on themselves and drive their sales even higher.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know... cheap gas, etc. but I'm constantly amazed at the overwhelming obsession that the market has towards trucks and SUV's. While I'm obviously a big fan of Ford products, I've been impressed with how far Chevrolet has come with their vehicle designs being the best ever for the Bow Tie division. Today's automotive car market reminds me of what happened with cell phones after Apple introduced the iPhone. Apple as a consumer electronics firm is brilliant at packaging design and creating a "cool" factor that alone drives market demand. It might not be the best product in the market but if people perceive it to be the "cool" product they'll buy it. Customers today are buying trucks, CUV's and SUV's not necessarily because they have a need for those vehicles' particular attributes but because they want them, need or not. And the truck and SUV sales continue to grow as the market perceptions, popularity, etc. feed on themselves and drive their sales even higher.

Another way of looking at this is that vehicle costs have risen and people think trucks and SUV's are "worth" the money you pay for them vs say 40K on a nicely loaded Fusion sedan.

^ That's exactly my position. I had 2 really nice Honda Accord sedans right in a row after college. Then I went to a '92 Explorer. Then a '98 Explorer, now an '11 Edge. I'll never drive another sedan unless it's my wife's LS430. (MUCH nicer than an Accord BTW.)

• Like 1

^ That's exactly my position. I had 2 really nice Honda Accord sedans right in a row after college. Then I went to a '92 Explorer. Then a '98 Explorer, now an '11 Edge. I'll never drive another sedan unless it's my wife's LS430. (MUCH nicer than an Accord BTW.)

We went from a Honda Accord to a 93 explorer than another explorer, expedition and Aviator before the 2008 edge.

• Like 1

Agree with generational change suggested above, we're now seeing the second generation of utility buyers

in the market displacing more and more car purchaeses, even to the point that daly rentals are moving

away from them too...

The important thing now is to reinvent the car as a sportier version of those popular Utilities,

5-door hatchbacks and higher ground clearance may be in vogue in years to come....

It's a demographics game... the people who may buy a fullsize sedan are probably older baby boomers like my parents... and they have probably already bought the last new one they will ever buy.

That is the truth...I know when I go through my parents retirement development, most vehicles are small SUV's with a couple mid-sized sedans in the drive ways. The Crown Vic more or less died around the same time its target demographic passed away or quit driving (Silent/Greatest Generation)

Small SUVs are the most sold vehicle to people 55+

Only reason I got a full sized sedan was it was the only performance car that Ford was offering that wasn't a Mustang or geared to younger generation in the form of the Focus/Fiesta ST. Not a huge fan of Trucks or CUVs, but I do have to say the Bronco does have my full attention as my next car. But then again I do want to add another Mustang to mix before I hit 50 too :p

I'm pretty sure the Taurus is in trouble too in its current form. As I mentioned before the Impala in it's current form is not long for this world and we'll see a an Alpha or Omega replacement, FCA looks like they have the formula for full-size cars in this type of market.

Lexus is really struggling with the LS model...sales down almost 50%.

I'm pretty sure the Taurus is in trouble too in its current form. As I mentioned before the Impala in it's current form is not long for this world and we'll see a an Alpha or Omega replacement, FCA looks like they have the formula for full-size cars in this type of market.

And even their sales are starting to slip a little bit.

Ever seen a retiree struggle to get out of a sedan? The higher seating position of a CUV makes 100% sense for access/egress.

When I was a teen I had a 2wd Ranger. My Grandfather loved getting in and out of that. No reaching up into a full size truck and no sinking down into a sedan.

And even their sales are starting to slip a little bit.

Since 2010 introduction, the Taurus has been basically unchanged and has been challenged by its competitors....however, the initial design still attracts a market of buyers. YTD Impala sales down 45%, Azera down 44%, Avalon down 28%, Lacrosse down 12%, Charger down 11%, 300 down 9% and Taurus down 9%.

Taurus has been a dead man walking since they killed the CD4 version. The only question is whether we'll see a lower volume but higher performance/higher ATP CD6 based replacement. It doesn't have to be high volume since it would be sharing a platform with (presumably) Continental and MkZ replacement).

Lexus is really struggling with the LS model...sales down almost 50%.

Well, to be fair 1) it doesn't help that they've barely changed it since 2007, giving it a new grille and not much else, and 2) the new model was just shown and will be out soon.

Since 2010 introduction, the Taurus has been basically unchanged and has been challenged by its competitors....however, the initial design still attracts a market of buyers. YTD Impala sales down 45%, Azera down 44%, Avalon down 28%, Lacrosse down 12%, Charger down 11%, 300 down 9% and Taurus down 9%.

It did get a refresh in 2013.

Well, to be fair 1) it doesn't help that they've barely changed it since 2007, giving it a new grille and not much else, and 2) the new model was just shown and will be out soon.

It did get a refresh in 2013.

Well, to also be fair, the LS had a major change in 2013 exterior and interior. The Taurus so called "refresh" was slight grill and new taillights....compared to total redesigned Impala and Avalon. In other words, the almost 9 year old "barely changed" Taurus is hanging in there for an old girl!

Exactly my point. It's one of the few things FCA does well and even they can't escape from carpocalypse.

However interesting note;

Charger

2016 97.110

2015 94.725

2014 94.099

2013 98.336

2012 82.592

2016 53.058

2015 53.109

2014 53.382

2013 57.724

2012 70.747

Hopeful the new models for '20 will sustain or improve on these figures with available smaller engines and lighter curb weight.

However interesting note;

Charger

2016 97.110

2015 94.725

2014 94.099

2013 98.336

2012 82.592

2016 53.058

2015 53.109

2014 53.382

2013 57.724

2012 70.747

Hopeful the new models for '20 will sustain or improve on these figures with available smaller engines and lighter curb weight.

So how many of those charger sales are to fleets? the 300 sales are just flat for the past 4 years.

• Like 1