2000 Expedition with 4.6 overheating and no heat

• 4 weeks later...

I just took a trip through the California and Arizona desert. the temp got to 103. It got hot once on the way out, I pulled over before it went full tilt and let it cool down and not a nother problem the rest of the 150 miles across the desert or the for the 2 days I was driving around town in 109 degree Phoenix heat.

On the way home it was a different story. We had to stop 5 times to let it cool and not run the a/c most of the time. Yes, I have AAA with 100 miles free towing but was on a mission to figure this out.

The first time we pulled over I hooked up my old red brick Snap-on Scanner. And you guys were right. Cold - Medium - Hot. I watched the temp rise on the scanner with just slight changes on the gauge then all of a sudden, BAM, it jumps up to full hot.

The next time it started getting hot, we pulled over and I used the block tester that I bought ------ no exhaust in the cooling system.

I went back to basics. I never thought it was the fan clutch for one, because I changed it when I started having this problem, two, it was blowing air at an idle and 3, it wouldnt overheat at an idle with the a/c on. Even though it was blowing air at an idle, once I would give it a little gas, it would not keep up. With the engine at full running temperature I was able to grab the fan with my hand and even spin it backwards. So the new fan clutch seems to be defective and I will be changing it this weekend.

But, has anybody ever seen an intermittent fan clutch issue like this?

Still doesnt explain the front or rear heat not working or not being able to adjust the temp of the a/c not to freeze us out of the truck.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tony S.