Why did Brad Pick the Outside on final restart?

bdegrand

I know the seats were empty at yesterday's backyard race. I , myself, have gradually stopped watching most of the races anymore, however, I did happen to watch the last restarts of yesterday's race in hoping Penske could finally win there with Brad.

Question is....if Brad took the lead from the inside lane on the second to last restart....why in the world did he choose the Outside lane for the final restart....which lost him the race...with the help of a late caution flag.

Is it just me are more drivers leaving earlier? I don't follow Nascar that closely any more but I had forgotten that Biffle and Edwards and Jeff Burton had all quietly walked away. I bet half the drivers from 5 years ago are gone now. Lots of younguns out there now.....

JJ Yeley was in the race. He drove the 7 car for the now part time Tommy Baldwin.

Edwards didn't exactly leave quietly, just abruptly.

Oops. His name was JJ in one and J.J. in the other.

Edwards didn't have a lengthy retirement season like Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. - he just announced he was retiring and that was it.

Aside from Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart and Ken Schrader (maybe Mike Skinner since he's been around forever) most of those drivers were just guys that were either marginal talents or guys who for whatever reason didn't work out in NASCAR.

The other thing too is with the youth movement within NASCAR, older drivers are having a very hard time finding sponsorship since sponsors want young drivers now. I have a feeling Matt Kenseth will find himself in a position where he is forced to leave before he wants to. He already lost his ride to Erik Jones next year and there's really nowhere in a top flight organization for him to go. MAYBE SHR if Danica is light out.

Aside from Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart and Ken Schrader (maybe Mike Skinner since he's been around forever) most of those drivers were just guys that were either marginal talents or guys who for whatever reason didn't work out in NASCAR.

The other thing too is with the youth movement within NASCAR, older drivers are having a very hard time finding sponsorship since sponsors want young drivers now. I have a feeling Matt Kenseth will find himself in a position where he is forced to leave before he wants to. He already lost his ride to Erik Jones next year and there's really nowhere in a top flight organization for him to go. MAYBE SHR if Danica is light out.

Agree on the youth movement and what sponsors want. Notice how smooth all these new "kids" are when they do their interviews.

You wouldn't put Labonte, Edwards and Biffle in that category? They were certainly well known drivers who won at least some races. Labonte won the championship.

Edwards was the real shocker to me. A polished guy who I hated to see defect to the "dark side". And while he was there, his continual praise for Toyota and Joe Gibbs seemed to block his future with anyone else. Remember though he is married to a doctor. Maybe he got the speech about quality of life, concussions etc.

As for Biffle, I was surprised he didn't get a shot with anyone else but again too many "young guns" out there. Labonte still seems to get an occasional part time ride-nice guy too who does not have the "yahoo" factor like some guys of his years.

• Like 1

You wouldn't put Labonte, Edwards and Biffle in that category? They were certainly well known drivers who won at least some races. Labonte won the championship.

Labonte was already running a part time schedule as of last year, so no I don't include him in that category.

Edwards by all accounts would prefer to work on his farm and be with his family rather than risk his health racing (I think the wreck at Homestead influenced his decision more than people realize).

Biffle I'm not sure. It's pretty clear he was forced out at Roush and with top tier seats being few and far between his hand was forced.

So Biffle would probably be the only one who didn't leave on his own.

Labonte was already running a part time schedule as of last year, so no I don't include him in that category.

Edwards by all accounts would prefer to work on his farm and be with his family rather than risk his health racing (I think the wreck at Homestead influenced his decision more than people realize).

Biffle I'm not sure. It's pretty clear he was forced out at Roush and with top tier seats being few and far between his hand was forced.

So Biffle would probably be the only one who didn't leave on his own.

Who said anything about leaving on their own? I just said they were no longer racing.