'20 Bronco Rendered

Two things:

Every plant has its own launch team. They were trying to consolidate them and make them more "regional" (meaning one group would cover 3-4 plants) but I think they've rethought that idea since there's so many new products coming in the next 3-4 years.

Ford is addressing their aging trades team. They just launched a new apprentice program last spring so there's fresh blood on the waitlists (god I can't wait....). Some plants are taking people as they go onto the list.

That's great about the apprentice program hopefully they are able to find good people. I was at a community meeting and a member from IBEW was there and said they had almost 40 openings but couldn't find any qualified persons to fill them, DTE was also having a hard time of people passing a drug test or basic skills test to be admitted into the program. It is sad so many people look down on skilled trades, they are great jobs, with great pay. They aren't always easy, but then again most jobs that pay more always have more stress.

I thought they always had individual plant launch teams per plant (didn't know they went away) but they still get a ton of support from Dearborn form both PD and operations, people would travel to the plants as well as people from supply plants. The issues become if the engine or transmission made in plant XXX is going into plants XXX new vehicle but also going into a update at XXX plant vehicle how do you deal with that, or a lighting group member is in plant XXX for a new launch but also needs to be in XXX for an update. The logistics that go into product planning is insane. If a supplier is building a new facility to supply vehicle XXX and you move that up 6 months can they complete the plant in that time and what will be the over cost for it. Will Ford pay more for the part or contribute to completing the plant in an expedited manor.

Edited by jasonj80

Ford is addressing their aging trades team. They just launched a new apprentice program last spring so there's fresh blood on the waitlists (god I can't wait....). Some plants are taking people as they go onto the list.

I take it you are on the list then. What trade are you looking to get into?

I think there were a couple of reasons why they did that. First of all, the union had already let the cat out of the bag in response to all the bad press being generated by Trump. Confirmation that American jobs were being protected got them a little positive press, for a change. Second, by making that announcement they probably convinced a few buyers to wait rather than buy something from the competition. Too bad the wait isn't significantly shorter. A lot of those prospective buyers probably have already grown impatient and have or will go elsewhere anyway long before we see job 1.

You're not wrong... I was previously looking at a Dodge Challenger but the prospect of a new Bronco has out those plans on hold

Electrician, Millwright or welder.

In hindsight I wish I had signed up for pipe fitter rather than welder but too late now.

I would have picked machine repair over welder. My uncle was a welder. They can inhale a lot of nasty fumes.

Pipefitter isn't bad if you don't bite your nails.

I would have picked machine repair over welder. My uncle was a welder. They can inhale a lot of nasty fumes.

Pipefitter isn't bad if you don't bite your nails.

Yeah, at the time I didn't really have a third choice since I wasnt sure exactly what was available so I didn't put much thought into it.

Oh well, too late now. Just have to hope by some miracle one of the other 2 opens first but with where I am on the list I'm not so sure I'll get that lucky.

Any word on how Ford will manage the actual change over?

I read Hinrichs' comments regarding an expected one month's changeover being the new norm at Ford,

does this mean a shorter than expected gap for production staff or is he selling horse feathers to the gullible?

Any word on how Ford will manage the actual change over?

I read Hinrichs' comments regarding an expected one month's changeover being the new norm at Ford,

does this mean a shorter than expected gap for production staff or is he selling horse feathers to the gullible?

Not once word so far. I've been trying to find out from everyone I know. Those that have gotten back to me won't talk.