2019 Ford Focus sedan spied

Oh I'm definitely conflicted by it.

I was disgusted when GM did it, and I'm now disgusted that Ford is planning to do it.

It wreaks of over reaction and desire / greed to save a Billion, I suspect it's being thrown under a bus

to recover some of the losses from pulling out of Mexico..and because Ford is still unclear on NAFTA.

There's no reason why Ford couldn't have stayed with adding it at Hermosillo and still saved $500 M

and I wonder if Ford will sometime soon regret doing this....

Edited by jpd80

The big risk here is that if the U.S. economy tanks, people will turn their attention to trade and whether the U.S. benefits from it. That always happens during an economic downturn, but this time we have a President who has expressed considerable skepticism about the benefits of trade, and the most popular figure among Democrats right now - Bernie Sanders - has expressed similar sentiments. Ford could really find itself over a barrel with a Chinese-sourced Focus if that happens.

The big risk here is that if the U.S. economy tanks, people will turn their attention to trade and whether the U.S. benefits from it. That always happens during an economic downturn, but this time we have a President who has expressed considerable skepticism about the benefits of trade, and the most popular figure among Democrats right now - Bernie Sanders - has expressed similar sentiments. Ford could really find itself over a barrel with a Chinese-sourced Focus if that happens.

My gut tells me that Hermosillo is a fall back position if this all blows up in Ford's face, the only reason Ford jumped to China

was instability with NAFTA and committing to new product going into Mexico before the agreement is renegotiated.

Look for Ford to switch camps again if it makes political sense to do so and look good in the eyes of the community.

My gut tells me that Hermosillo is a fall back position if this all blows up in Ford's face, the only reason Ford jumped to China

was instability with NAFTA and committing to new product going into Mexico before the agreement is renegotiated.

Look for Ford to switch camps again if it makes political sense to do so and look good in the eyes of the community.

Could be but i do not think instability with nafta is the reason...more than likely it just makes more sense to build foci in china...no i dont like it...but that small car market is toast here...what ford moves south will be interesting to see

I don't think Ford wants to put Fusion and focus in one plant and reduce volumes that much. Together they should be able to easily sell 400k - 450k annually which is more than one plant.

Well, go back a few months and that was exactly the plan and while the combined total of both plants

is currently on track for around the figures you suggest, there is absolutely no guarantee that current

production and sales are going to level out. Fusion sales are sinking like a stone, 30% YOY to May

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Well, go back a few months and that was exactly the plan and while the combined total of both plants

is currently on track for around the figures you suggest, there is absolutely no guarantee that current

production and sales are going to level out. Fusion sales are sinking like a stone, 30% YOY to May

That was Fields' plan and I don't think the board liked it. Fusion sales are tanking but the market is only down 20%. And we know why Focus is tanking. I think they want to get back that market share rather than giving it away by artificially limiting factory capacity.

I was excited about the future Focus, but now that I know it will be built in China I hope it fails. So I'm conflicted about it.

Problem solved...get an ST or whatever models they will be importing from the EU if you truly are so hung up on it and don't want a Chinese one.

I would like to see not only the ST and RS imported from Europe, but also a 'Sport' model just under the ST, with the better suspension and a little extra HP for a reasonable price.

We might get Titanium hatchbacks as well. I think the Chinese cars will be mostly cheap sedans.

I'm surprised Cuautitlán didn't get the Focus.

We don't know what else Ford has planned for production in NAFTA zone so it's hard to speculate about the Focus decision. All we know is the Saint Luis Potosi would have allowed Ford to keep Focus in NAFTA zone. That implies Ford already earmarked Cuautitlan for something else - could be Escape, EcoSport, Transit Connect, or something new.

Edited by bzcat

We don't know what else Ford has planned for production in NAFTA zone so it's hard to speculate about the Focus decision. All we know is the Saint Luis Potosi would have allowed Ford to keep Focus in NAFTA zone. That implies Ford already earmarked Cuautitlan for something else - could be Escape, EcoSport, Transit Connect, or something new.

There continues to be a reference to "another" CUV product that Ford has in the pipeline (does not include those we know, like Aviator). I've read elsewhere that Ford plan to introduce a China only CUV later this year. Not sure what all of this means, other than I think it reinforces your point that something new might be headed to Cauatitlan.

There continues to be a reference to "another" CUV product that Ford has in the pipeline (does not include those we know, like Aviator). I've read elsewhere that Ford plan to introduce a China only CUV later this year. Not sure what all of this means, other than I think it reinforces your point that something new might be headed to Cauatitlan.

We've been talking about a "mini Escape." And we also know they have something Model E related that's a crossover.

That spy shot from last week suggests it is

The question is what E name will it get? Equator?

You know, I only just now realized Model E fits in with their "E" SUV/CUV naming scheme (as well as the obvious electric designation).

isn't it supposed to be cars too, not just SUV/CUV?

Yup, at least I think. The only one Ford confirmed was an electric CUV back in January at NAIAS. But PD reported yesterday that the "Model E" program was becoming a range of vehicles (which really is what we speculated from the beginning).

• 2 weeks later...

um its a Fusion!

I'd hope they would advance the current look a little bit more than this...

I know its a render...but IMO its a bit disappointing.

Look at what they did with the new Fiesta. Definitely more evolutionary than revolutionary. I would have liked to see them advance it more than they did.