Ford June 2017 Sales Down 5.1% Overall; Lincoln up 5.3%

FYI, for what it's worth I have it on very good authority that the Taurus is dead after MY2018.

I just learned this on Friday.

Does that mean the Police Interceptor is dead along with it? They are designated different vehicles.

That would make sense if the 2019 Explorer is all new, When they retool the plant the Taurus goes to die, I also suspect the Flex is also dead after 2018MY, add the 3 row Edge with the Facelift, kill the Flex, and push the Explorer up a bit in size and price.

That would make sense if the 2019 Explorer is all new, When they retool the plant the Taurus goes to die, I also suspect the Flex is also dead after 2018MY, add the 3 row Edge with the Facelift, kill the Flex, and push the Explorer up a bit in size and price.

I asked about the Flex, he said he would get back to me. It sounds as if the decision hasn't been finalized yet.
  • Like 1

FYI, for what it's worth I have it on very good authority that the Taurus is dead after MY2018.

I just learned this on Friday.

Doesn't surprise me as they get closer to replacing Explorer.

Dropping Taurus also clears the way for more Explorers.

I'd imagine that in most situations a Fusion is probably just as good as a Taurus

Fingers crossed that this is the first sign that Ford might be actually doing something behind the scenes

with regards a successor to Explorer and possibly Aviator....

Let's hope so. It's still selling well, but that can only last so long before buyers move on. And Lincoln would benefit from Aviator, especially with the massive starting price gap between MKX and Navigator.

My guy didn't say because I don't think he knew for sure, but we discussed it and agreed that yeah, PI is probably gone too.

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to continue just the PI.

I don't know if it'd be a 2019 - would they have the refreshed one for just a model year? Granted the 'refresh' is a slightly different front and rear bumper, but still. I could see it being a 2020. And maybe dropping Taurus now allows them to build more Explorers and build up inventory of it before they do a plant changeover for the new model.

• Like 1

I think the current Explorer lasts till 2020MY with the minor refresh its getting for 2018 IMO. The 2019 would be a short production run.

• Like 1

I don't know if it'd be a 2019 - would they have the refreshed one for just a model year? Granted the 'refresh' is a slightly different front and rear bumper, but still. I could see it being a 2020. And maybe dropping Taurus now allows them to build more Explorers and build up inventory of it before they do a plant changeover for the new model.

Get off my wavelength! LOL

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

I think the current Explorer lasts till 2020MY with the minor refresh its getting for 2018 IMO. The 2019 would be a short production run.

I think the 2018 refresh was done because Fields wanted to keep it several more years. That may have changed and they may have pulled up the new Explorer timeline. It is possible depending on how far along the project was when it was delayed.

• Like 1

I think the 2018 refresh was done because Fields wanted to keep it several more years. That may have changed and they may have pulled up the new Explorer timeline.

This.

Projects are being pulled forward, and timelines are being accelerated.

Hackett is doing exactly what he was brought in to do.

• Like 3

Get off my wavelength! LOL

Clearly I was on it first! ;)

I think the 2018 refresh was done because Fields wanted to keep it several more years. That may have changed and they may have pulled up the new Explorer timeline. It is possible depending on how far along the project was when it was delayed.

It's possible!

This.

Good. Fields' move to delay seemingly everything when many products are already showing age was just stupid.

Sounds like they were been pretty far along when Fields put it on hold if they're able to go ahead and bring it out for 2019. Would it be on CD6 after all then?

• Like 1

This.

I’m hearing the same. I briefly talked to my engineering friend who works in EV/hybrids over the July 4th holiday. She wouldn’t talk details, but things are really picking up in their section. The rumored Model E is just the beginning.

• Like 1

Clearly I was on it first! ;)

It's possible!

Good. Fields' move to delay seemingly everything when many products are already showing age was just stupid.

Especially when they have plenty of capital for product development.

I believe being smart with your investments is prudent, but not investing in your core products and allowing them to become stale is inappropriate. If they had done appropriate MCEs I could see pushing platforms out a little, but the MCEs that were done were hardly noticeable.

I think the mindset was to coast through the expected downturn and start pumping out new product as things came back around

That's just stupid, IMO. That's just asking for people to not buy your products. People are even less likely to buy your vehicle If you have uncompetitive (or at least old) products, especially in a down market. Think about it - if the market is down, and I'm unsure if I can purchase a new car, would I go buy a "new" car that's been the same for the last 5 years, or would a new redesigned model encourage me to make that leap and get it anyway.

and i suspect that Fields distorted Mulally's message on One Ford to suit his own ends,

playing to the accountants by doing the least possible and squeezing every last buck

out of products past their used by date.

I can understand the desire to not do too much with funding new product cycles in front

of a perceived slow down but not the way Fields was agonizing the US Focus for example

and not staying in lock step with Europe...

D3 was a great evolutionary masterstroke for Explorer but it's done the job and it's time to

look beyond those design limitations and give buyers a new vehicle that goes even further

and maybe opens up even more export opportunities.

Edited by jpd80

That's just stupid, IMO. That's just asking for people to not buy your products. People are even less likely to buy your vehicle If you have uncompetitive (or at least old) products, especially in a down market. Think about it - if the market is down, and I'm unsure if I can purchase a new car, would I go buy a "new" car that's been the same for the last 5 years, or would a new redesigned model encourage me to make that leap and get it anyway.

Well it seems like the landscape has changed quite a bit since November...overall the economy seems to be doing well and things seem optimistic (well since 2008 or so)..yes automotive sales are down (they've been really high for the past 24 months or so), but so far it doesn't seem like recession or pull back is coming this year, which was fully expected with 44 was in still office.

It takes about 18 months to fully recover from a recession, which would put us around late 2019/20, which would be right around the time that many new Ford products would be launching that are part of the core lineup. Thats my assumption reading the tea leaves from my end, but who knows what was changed then changed back in the past 18 months with launches.

For curiosity sake, can you devulge more or are you being vague for a reason?

I don't have full timelines, but:

-CD6 alive and well... "we'll see evidence of soon"

-What started as the Model E project has now come to umbrella several products. C and C/D entries accelerated on the new architecture.

-Aggressive updates to F-150 and Super Duty coming fast and furious... blood in the water for the GM twins, and some Ram product coming could help land "a one-two punch."

-Bronco and Ranger are getting some balls in their launch plans... finally.

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 2

I think the mindset was to coast through the expected downturn and start pumping out new product as things came back around

Mullally's survival model for Ford was built on tentpole investments supported by corporate fiscal conservatism.

Fields basically paused everything except F-Series development and cheap MCE's to "wait out" a not-as-soon-as-expected downturn. The market kept going.

I don't have full timelines, but:

-CD6 alive and well "we'll see evidence of soon"

-What started as the Model E project has now come to umbrella several products. C and C/D entries accelerated on the mew architecture.

-Aggressive updates to F-150 and Super Duty coming fast amd furious... blood in the water for the GM twins, and some Ram product coming could help land "a one-two punch."

-Bronco and Ranger are getting some balls in their launch plans... finally.

if you can PM me a little more I would love it, and keep it confidential.

I did hear that there are currently Bronco mules driving around under full camo, but only at night right now. I want to try to confirm it for myself.

if you can PM me a little more I would love it, and keep it confidential.

I did hear that there are currently Bronco mules driving around under full camo, but only at night right now. I want to try to confirm it for myself.

I done spilled about all I've been told! I'll try to hammer out a more complete PM soon... I have some to-be-answered questions out to my sources.

Bronco mules are out there... Sharp eyes, folks. Jpd could probably help you recognize them. ?