Ford June 2017 Sales Down 5.1% Overall; Lincoln up 5.3%

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/07/03/june-17-sales.pdf

I've been having trouble posting images lately, if someone could put the chart into this thread, it'd be appreciated!

Some highlights:

 Ford Motor Company’s June U.S. sales totaled 227,979 vehicles – down 5.1 percent compared to last year

 June retail results totaled 152,396 vehicles, flat versus last year’s retail results

 Fleet sales in June of 75,583 vehicles were down 13.9 percent

 First-half company sales of 1,301,102 vehicles represent a 3.8 percent decline versus 2016

 Ford first-half retail sales down 2.1 percent, with 864,156 vehicles sold

 Ford fleet sales through June totaled 436,946 vehicles, a 7.1 percent decline – as expected – due to the timing of fleet deliveries

 Ford’s June average transaction pricing grew $1,800 – another month of significant increase compared to the overall industry gain of $520*

 Ford F-Series sales of 77,895 trucks up 9.8 percent last month; through June, F-Series sales were up 8.8 percent, with 429,860 pickups sold. Strong demand for high-series trucks and Raptor drove F-Series transaction pricing to a $3,100 gain for the month – more than twice the segment average

 Ford Explorer sales increased 22.7 percent, with 21,304 SUVs sold, with one-third of retail sales coming from high series (Limited, Platinum, Sport)

 Lincoln retail sales increased 11.3 percent in June; retail sales up 8.9 percent through first-half 2017

Fiesta held up surprisingly well...focus and fusion gutter dismal as expected...mustang dump really irks me but with 2018 on the way i would not buy at this time either....of course the beat goes on for f150 and suv sales...ford has not much to offer outdude f150 and suv's or so it seems...sure hope the furniture guy is the right choice...

Good to see Ford bring its fleet sales percentage down in June, even though it was twice as high as GM's and 8 percent points higher than FCA. Hopefully Ford can reduce that percentage to less than 30% in the next couple months.

But then, daily rental sales percentage is only 13.2%

Fiesta held up surprisingly well...focus and fusion gutter dismal as expected...mustang dump really irks me but with 2018 on the way i would not buy at this time either....of course the beat goes on for f150 and suv sales...ford has not much to offer outdude f150 and suv's or so it seems...sure hope the furniture guy is the right choice...

A little context from Chevrolet's car sales, newer product is not stemming the rot.....

Cruze.....12,828 vs Focus........15,575

Impala......2,808 vs Taurus.........2,932

Malibu....10,812 vs Fusion.......18,139

As bad as Focus sales are now, I'm sure that GM would be deeply concerned that its recent refreshed

cars are nose diving in sales so quickly - buyers seem to have forsaken most cars for Utilities.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

Expedition was way down. I'm assuming it's due to fleet sales drop combined with the new one close to launching. All the Lincoln utilities were up for the month (including MKT!).

Regarding Expeditions drop, Explorer was up a long way with 21,304 (17,356)

so I wonder if it was a more attractive buy last month...

And I love this...

F Series........77,895 (Strong demand for high-series trucks and Raptor drove F Series ATP up $3,100 for the month)

Silverado.....50,515

Sierra..........15,743

Total............66,258

While Ford trails GM on large SUVs, it certainly pulls back that deficit with F Series sales.

Escape........27,151

Edge............13,411

Flex...............2,018

Explorer.......21,304

PI Ute............2,981

Expedition.....4,801

Total............71,666 - That shows the strength of Ford's Utility sales

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Good to see Ford bring its fleet sales percentage down in June, even though it was twice as high as GM's and 8 percent points higher than FCA. Hopefully Ford can reduce that percentage to less than 30% in the next couple months.

Your negative implication of fleet sales is somewhat misguided. Though the the margins are not as high as a retail sale, they are profitable. Daily rentals are the only fleet sale that I would care about keeping the percentages low in order to protect resale values.

Our fleet vehicles are kept for 100k miles or more, so they are not dropped on the open market in a short time. I would argue that this is a common scenario with most non-rental fleet vehicles.

• Like 7

One thing to think about is that in addition to having so many F series sales which sells a great deal to corporate fleet, Ford went "all in" with the van market making Transit and Connect along with the remaining E series models. Vans are as close to exclusively fleet sales as a line of vechicles can get. I personally can't remember seeing a van without some sort of company name on the side of it.

• Like 1

Regarding car sales declining, if the "all new" 2018 Camry doesn't make a "comeback", then it looks like sedans will be a 'niche' market. Toyota is claiming Camry sales will go up, but no one else.

Focus is doing OK compared to "all new" Cruze and the dead Dart.

OTOH, Explorer sales up 22%. Pretty good for the "dated" CD3 platform. Some claimed it was a "flop" and should "never have been built". Arm chair critics don't pay the bills that buyers do.

Edited by 630land

The reason Focus appears to be doing much better than Cruse is because of those large incentives ($4K or more)

versus the higher price that GM is asking for Cruze, it's also happening with Malibu where sales have nose dived,

proving that there's no safety with having fresher product.

Toyota has already conceded that RAV4 will continue to take more of Camry's sales as buyer switch....

Sad really because the next generation of cars from all manufacturers promise to be so much better...

A big question is will Millennials view SUV's as "old peoples cars" in the future? They seem to like small Wranglers, but not Mom's Santa Fe/Highlander clones.

For sure. It's all cyclical. Today's "in" cars will become tomorrow's "out" cars, etc. etc.

Personal luxury coupes were the hot segment 40 years ago. Well over 300,000 Thunderbirds sold in 1977 and 1978, and Cutlass Supreme sales were even higher. They never came back. I don't think sedans will go away as personal luxury coupes did, but it is a very real possibility the shift away from sedans is permanent.

Personal luxury coupes were the hot segment 40 years ago. Well over 300,000 Thunderbirds sold in 1977 and 1978, and Cutlass Supreme sales were even higher. They never came back. I don't think sedans will go away as personal luxury coupes did, but it is a very real possibility the shift away from sedans is permanent.

This.

It's may well be cyclical but at the moment, envisioning any reality where people suddenly drop utilities

in any large volume to return to cars and hatchback in the US is too far off to even plan for.

Manufacturers are actively gearing up to move away from car production and while CAFE is so heavily stacked

against compact cars, you can bet your life that manufacturers like Ford will choose the easy option of utilities

and just import whatever compacts buyers want

Edited by jpd80

A big question is will Millennials view SUV's as "old peoples cars" in the future? They seem to like small Wranglers, but not Mom's Santa Fe/Highlander clones.

My daughter , who is 12, thinks Wanglers are the goat. Her words not mine. I get tired of her pointing them out on the road.

FYI, for what it's worth I have it on very good authority that the Taurus is dead after MY2018.

I just learned this on Friday.

Makes sense, that's why Ford intro'd the pursuit-rated Fusion for those markets that still want a cop car to go with their cop SUV's.

Dropping Taurus also clears the way for more Explorers.

I'd imagine that in most situations a Fusion is probably just as good as a Taurus

Fingers crossed that this is the first sign that Ford might be actually doing something behind the scenes

with regards a successor to Explorer and possibly Aviator....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1