New GM "shifter"

92merc

Engineer 1: remember those shitty interiors we used to build in the 90s that would fall apart after a year?

Engineer 2: *laughs* yeah, I do

Engineer 3: I got a great idea guys, let's go back to the 90s with our designs. Retro is still a thing right?

*crickets*

Engineer 1: Brilliant. Let's do it.

I don't either oddly enough

Buttons you can develop a "muscle memory" for, or glance at quickly. The dial you need to glance down at, which is a pain when, say, doing a three point turn (or backing out of a driveway, or parking space, etc). I had a 2017 Fusion loaner for a week, immediately after a 2016 loaner (they swapped due to miles on the 16). I liked both cars, and found the 17 to be more of a substantial update than I expected, but I never warmed to the dial.

Maybe it means I'll end up in a Lincoln ;)

• Like 1

Ugh. I hate the dial. That could be the straw that pushes me out of Fords.

What is so terrible about it?

Buttons you can develop a "muscle memory" for, or glance at quickly. The dial you need to glance down at, which is a pain when, say, doing a three point turn (or backing out of a driveway, or parking space, etc). I had a 2017 Fusion loaner for a week, immediately after a 2016 loaner (they swapped due to miles on the 16). I liked both cars, and found the 17 to be more of a substantial update than I expected, but I never warmed to the dial.

Maybe it means I'll end up in a Lincoln ;)

I don't understand what's so bad about the dial. If it has detents for each gear, how is that any different than muscle memory for a button? If you're in drive, 2 clicks over is reverse, 3 is park.

Edited by rmc523

I wasn't too sure about Lincoln's buttons when they first came out. Now Lincoln looks downright luxurious compared to GM. And I agree with location. Needs to be up nearer to the steering column.

"Hey, I need to turn the heat down. Lemme just hit this minus button. WOops! I just downshifted. Dammit!"

My bitch with the GM buttons isn't that they're buttons, it's that they're straight from 1999 buttons.

Like seriously, my mother in law's 96 Blazer has those same buttons in it and like half of them are broken.

Look like they came out of a 90's Pontiac.

• Like 2

My bitch with the GM buttons isn't that they're buttons, it's that they're straight from 1999 buttons.

Like seriously, my mother in law's 96 Blazer has those same buttons in it and like half of them are broken.

Look like they came out of a 90's Pontiac.

They wouldn't be out of place in my '05 Rainier...

Of course, lets not forget the first forays into "push button" drive switch-gear...

3adf7b6fee4fc07181f7c0bda93438b6.jpg

e425e8177b7feced41674c7582929ac8--button

cfbea723430edd749b65632c48ec831c.jpg

My old man used to tell me stories about these buttons and them getting stuck in gear....at least you don't have to worry about that too much now.

I had a Fusion Hybrid rental back in May..overall I liked it, but wasn't a fan of the dial a gear selector. Wasn't intuitive enough. I think I kept going counter clockwise vs clockwise with it to change gears and I felt like I was jarring the transmission changing from reverse to D.

My old man used to tell me stories about these buttons and them getting stuck in gear....at least you don't have to worry about that too much now.

I had a Fusion Hybrid rental back in May..overall I liked it, but wasn't a fan of the dial a gear selector. Wasn't intuitive enough. I think I kept going counter clockwise vs clockwise with it to change gears and I felt like I was jarring the transmission changing from reverse to D.

What do you mean?

You don't go clockwise to go from park to reverse to neutral to drive? And counter-clockwise to go from drive to neutral to reverse to park?

• Like 1

On the Chrysler products, The button has a long plastic shaft behind it that slides between metal forks. With a lot of use, they sometimes loosened up and slid off the forks. I always carried a Phillips screwdriver to remove the bezel and reattach them.

You don't go clockwise to go from park to reverse to neutral to drive? And counter-clockwise to go from drive to neutral to reverse to park?

I had the rental in May...I didn't care for how it felt tactically vs a shifter. I think the muscle memory is used to going up and down with a shifter vs left and right on the dial shifter. The detents in the rotary shifter are much lighter then a stick based car and I felt like I was jamming the transmission when I was changing the gear from drive to reverse.

I think I would get used to it if I had the car longer then 5 days.