Here are their numbers for the year:

...................% chg...........2017............2016

Colorado.....-3.6%.........40,670.........42,178

Silverado.....-5.2%........212,425.......223,990

Canyon......-11.4%.........12,372.........13,964

Sierra..........-6.6%.........83,410..........89,304

Total............-5.6%........348,877........369,436

F-Series YTD: 351,965

Right now Ford has to put $4K-$5K on the hood on the XLs and XLTs in order to compete in the $25K - $32K price range. With Ranger filling that price range they can reduce the incentives on the F150 XL and XLT thereby raising transaction prices.

Ford would make more off a Ranger XLT at $25K than they would on a stripped down F150 XL.

I think you might be too hung up on price...the point I was making is the XL or XLT are work trucks built in large numbers for businesses. There is going always be a need for a truck that can do "work" where as the Ranger is the lifestyle, hey I gotta go to the dump, Home depot, Help someone move type vehicle. I don't think Ford is going to slot a Ranger as a replacement for that type of work (as light duty vehicles to supplement the transit connect etc...yes)

One thing I did note is the Colorado doesn't have any "real" incentives on it like the Silverado does.

Just keep in mind that Chevrolet's commercial sales may not be as deep as F series,

Ford increasing sales in both retail and Commercal sides of the business.

I think that mid sized Colorado / Canyon begins and ends with what level of cash incentive

and leasing is being applied to Silverado / Sierra. versus less incentives on the Colorado / Canyon

Add to that the big trucks are also getting "tired legs" against newer, fresher competition

and due for a major update.

Edited by jpd80

I think you might be too hung up on price...the point I was making is the XL or XLT are work trucks built in large numbers for businesses. There is going always be a need for a truck that can do "work" where as the Ranger is the lifestyle, hey I gotta go to the dump, Home depot, Help someone move type vehicle. I don't think Ford is going to slot a Ranger as a replacement for that type of work (as light duty vehicles to supplement the transit connect etc...yes)

One thing I did note is the Colorado doesn't have any "real" incentives on it like the Silverado does.

In ROW markets, Ranger is also a work truck with very similar XL and XLT models, they are just smaller versions

of their F150 cousins and genuine 4WD trucks as opposed to AWD so work and building site ready.

Edited by jpd80

I think you might be too hung up on price...the point I was making is the XL or XLT are work trucks built in large numbers for businesses. There is going always be a need for a truck that can do "work" where as the Ranger is the lifestyle, hey I gotta go to the dump, Home depot, Help someone move type vehicle. I don't think Ford is going to slot a Ranger as a replacement for that type of work (as light duty vehicles to supplement the transit connect etc...yes).

I think you're underestimating the number of buyers who buy a XL or base XLT for personal use because it's the cheapest Ford truck available. Although I don't have any data that says one way or the other, so you might be right.

Fuzzy you don't wany one. Where I'm working now we have 3 Rangers and a Colorado, the Colorado being the newest with the least miles.

The Colorado has had the head gasket and transmission replaced while the Rangers keep on going.

THIS is why people bought a Ranger, they were reliable, They take a beating and still keep going.

• Like 1

I think you're underestimating the number of buyers who buy a XL or base XLT for personal use because it's the cheapest Ford truck available. Although I don't have any data that says one way or the other, so you might be right.

To add to this thought, based on my observations around here (North Central Mass) you see very few base 150's. the GM's seem to be the truck of choice on the low end-conventional cabs, maybe with a ladder rack of some sort of a tool box. And no commercial "id" on them. A plain jane work truck.

Go through a Ford dealers lot and you will be lucky to see one or two non-super/crew cabs in base trim levels.

To add to this thought, based on my observations around here (North Central Mass) you see very few base 150's. the GM's seem to be the truck of choice on the low end-conventional cabs, maybe with a ladder rack of some sort of a tool box. And no commercial "id" on them. A plain jane work truck.

Go through a Ford dealers lot and you will be lucky to see one or two non-super/crew cabs in base trim levels.

Not surprising when you realize that less than 10% of F150s sold are single cab

Most of the SCs are XLs and aimed at the work truck buyer, they serve a purpose

but the majority of F150 buyers prefer Super Crew (~70%) or Super cab (~20%).

A quick look on cars,com for national dealer stock of F150 revealed 108,495 trucks

and of that, 80,846 are Super Crew, 21,0324 are Super Cab and only 6,557 Single Cabs...

Edited by jpd80

In ROW markets, Ranger is also a work truck with very similar XL and XLT models, they are just smaller versions

of their F150 cousins and genuine 4WD trucks as opposed to AWD so work and building site ready.

Never said they couldn't do it, just some businesses would rather have a F-150 then Ranger. A base Ranger would make more sense as a Park Ranger vehicle that doesn't haul much then a F-150 XL does. My local park system has quite a few F-150XL and the area isn't all that rough or tumble ;)

Never said they couldn't do it, just some businesses would rather have a F-150 then Ranger. A base Ranger would make more sense as a Park Ranger vehicle that doesn't haul much then a F-150 XL does. My local park system has quite a few F-150XL and the area isn't all that rough or tumble ;)

And why did they buy F150 XLs? Because they were the cheapest models available.

Right now Ford has to put $4K-$5K on the hood on the XLs and XLTs in order to compete in the $25K - $32K price range. With Ranger filling that price range they can reduce the incentives on the F150 XL and XLT thereby raising transaction prices.

Ford would make more off a Ranger XLT at $25K than they would on a stripped down F150 XL.

Out of curiosity I built a 4x4 Crewcab Canyon optioned as an XLT would be, and it was $34k. Those trucks aren't cheap and you could likely get an F150 close to that with incentives. Perhaps this will be a way to reduce incentives on the F150, and push those buyers to Rangers.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I built a 4x4 Crewcab Canyon optioned as an XLT would be, and it was $34k. Those trucks aren't cheap and you could likely get an F150 close to that with incentives. Perhaps this will be a way to reduce incentives on the F150, and push those buyers to Rangers.

One thing to think about too - if Ford is pushing Ranger as a more lifestyle vehicle than a true work vehicle, they'll want to keep ATPs up on it also. So I don't think we'll see many stripper models available.

Oh I agree with that but the real key is where the starting price is and if GM and Toyota are any guide t will be North of $20K.

The only slight overlap I see is that roughly 10% of F150 sales that go to the base NA V6 versus an XL or XLT Ranger.

Sure there could be some bleeding of F150 sales but I doubt that it's as much as Ford once thought..

Just don't underestimate the desire for some buyers to have a well appointed high series mid sized truck,

especially when the full sized raptor is going great guns, those trends will probably be reflected in Ranger

Edited by jpd80

Let's not over think this whole Ranger business. It doesn't exist in an vacuum. The business case depends on having Bronco around so Ford is not going to have to do a lot of low margin cheap trucks to keep the line going.

If I had to guess, Ford probably is targeting mainly retail lifestyle buyers with Ranger in its business assumptions - like the old Sport Trac. But the fact that they have a smaller pickup truck around also means they also have some upside in fleet - they can be more assertive in pricing or more creative in putting together fleet deals. Ford's dominance in fleet business and pickup trucks and vans specifically means that having Ranger around will likely chase Toyota out of the tiny sliver of the fleet business it does have now with Tacoma.

The big difference today with today's mid sized truck sales is that they follow the same buying trens as their full sized brothers,

the majority of sales are Crew Cabs and maybe a few super cabs with very few single cabs. That product mix almost guarantees

that ranger will succeed with or without Bronco - that's a great position for Ford.

Edited by jpd80

Just don't underestimate the desire for some buyers to have a well appointed high series mid sized truck,

especially when the full sized raptor is going great guns, those trends will probably be reflected in Ranger

Something like a Ranger Limited would interest me and I'm sure many others.

• Like 2