Next Gen GM pickup gets diesel, retains steel bed

Fgts

Easy, drop a few more cinder blocks in the back of a Ford pickup!

Seriously, we all know that commercial was bunk, but it really did have an effect.

Apparently it did not if you compare sales. Edited by tbone

Whatever happens, I just don't see GM getting the sales traction out of Aluminum body like Ford did with F Series,

GM's avoidance of aluminum and preference for other fuel economy strategies now means that changing to

aluminum will have less effect on economy while Ford will see a healthy bump gong to 10-speed auto.

Edited by jpd80

Ford's dominance in the market plus its use of aluminum and turbo charging as key product attributes means GM is in a "damn if you do and damn if you don't" position on both of those things.

For a market follower like GM, copying the leader or doing the opposite has basically the same effect on sales because either way, you reinforce the market leader's product attributes. So look for GM to choose a strategy that boost marginal profit rather than sales. That means using aluminum but not too much; and downsizing the engine but not fully commit to turbo charging. And this is exactly how it is playing out.

The challenge for someone in GM's position is to change the conversation... make meaningful product differentiation that the market leader cannot respond. But instead, GM has made one mistake after another, talking about Ford's aluminum bed and turbo charged V6, thus spending all its marketing budget promoting Ford's superior product attributes.

Imagine a marketing campaign for Ford Escape where all the messaging is attacking Nissan Rogue and Honda CR-V's CVT and never mentioning anything else. That's basically what GM has done with its pickup truck marketing the last 2 years... pissing away the money and reinforcing to the market that Ford has the better truck (and perhaps you should check it out before you buy our inferior Chevy!)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Easy, drop a few more cinder blocks in the back of a Ford pickup!

Seriously, we all know that commercial was bunk, but it really did have an effect.

Only effect I saw was the YouTube videos showing it was a bunch of bunk.

It did? Silverado/Sierra sales have been dropping for months.

It gave the GM faithful something to jiggle their balls about.

F-Series sales have improved since the ad, and the GM twins have declined.. let alone the Ram quite possibly overtaking Silverado for #2 for the year.

The ads were great for the Autoblog comment section, and an abject failure in the marketplace.

• Like 1

Here are their numbers for the year:

...................% chg...........2017............2016

Colorado.....-3.6%.........40,670.........42,178

Silverado.....-5.2%........212,425.......223,990

Canyon......-11.4%.........12,372.........13,964

Sierra..........-6.6%.........83,410..........89,304

Total............-5.6%........348,877........369,436

Edited by rmc523

Those Canyorado numbers scare me....

I remember speculating that the initial high sales volume of Canyorado was due to pent up demand. Is that what we're seeing now - slowing of the pent up demand?

It could be.

Here are Tacoma numbers:

Tacoma............-1.4%........78,153........79,226

Which are nearly double Colorado's numbers......though they obviously don't sell as many Tundras.

The mid-sized numbers are a little troublesome, but if you can generate a profit selling them at a respectable number then that is the main goal no? Since it is a platform that is shared with other vehicles I don't think it's a big deal.

Many of the people clamoring for a smaller pickup is because of the pricing on the F-series and the like...but they also don't want to open their wallets up for a pickup that costs $25-46K in the form of the Colorado because they don't think the "value" is there.

They want a el-cheapo special like the old Ranger that topped out at 27K or so fully loaded.

Pricing like that isn't going to stop people from looking at Edge/Explorers that are more "practical" than a pickup.

With that being said, it makes me wonder how deep of a pool the smaller pickup market is going to be for Ford...and I'd assume that the Bronco might sell better than it because people think it meets their "value" aspect of their dollars.

• Like 2

Ranger will allow the lower end F150s to move up a bit, but with F series volume getting close to 1M annually they won't be able to grow sales much more without dedicating a new factory. And it does fill a void in Ford's lineup. Sharing the platform with Bronco and possibly another vehicle should keep the cost low enough for Ranger to be solidly profitable at 100K units annually. I don't expect it to sell like the old Ranger or for it to be super cheap.

Sharing the platform with Bronco and possibly another vehicle should keep the cost low enough for Ranger to be solidly profitable at 100K units annually. I don't expect it to sell like the old Ranger or for it to be super cheap.

I don't really see the need for the Everest in the North American marketplace and I don't think people are looking for a Range Rover Off Road Spec Lincoln either, which basically eliminates that from the equation.

How much more is the F-150 going to cost before people start moving away from it? There is still going to be need for a Truck that can do more than the Ranger at the low end of the price range like a stripper F-150 can do.

I'll assume Ford has done the math on it that will make it work, but I do have my reservations about it.

I don't really see the need for the Everest in the North American marketplace and I don't think people are looking for a Range Rover Off Road Spec Lincoln either, which basically eliminates that from the equation.

How much more is the F-150 going to cost before people start moving away from it? There is still going to be need for a Truck that can do more than the Ranger at the low end of the price range like a stripper F-150 can do.

I'll assume Ford has done the math on it that will make it work, but I do have my reservations about it.

I agree with all of your points.

Ranger will allow the lower end F150s to move up a bit, but with F series volume getting close to 1M annually they won't be able to grow sales much more without dedicating a new factory. And it does fill a void in Ford's lineup. Sharing the platform with Bronco and possibly another vehicle should keep the cost low enough for Ranger to be solidly profitable at 100K units annually. I don't expect it to sell like the old Ranger or for it to be super cheap.

if I can get a Ranger reasonably optioned at $25-$30k I would be happy with that, but then again my must have list is rather short.

Right now Ford has to put $4K-$5K on the hood on the XLs and XLTs in order to compete in the $25K - $32K price range. With Ranger filling that price range they can reduce the incentives on the F150 XL and XLT thereby raising transaction prices.

Ford would make more off a Ranger XLT at $25K than they would on a stripped down F150 XL.