Next Gen GM pickup gets diesel, retains steel bed

Fgts

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2017/06/23/2019-chevy-silverado-diesel-confirmed-in-spy-shots/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ColoradoFans.com_breaking&utm_source=ColoradoFans.com20170623

As seen in the spy shots the truck have a diesel nozzle in it at the fuel station with diesel labeling inside the fuel door.

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1706-confirmed-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-to-retain-steel-bed-video/

This was done with a video of the cameraman with a magnet sticking to the bed. Also in the video you can here the start/stop system and a V8 exhaust note from the tailpipes.

consider the genesis of F150 versus Silverado post BK:

F150:

Ecoboost + 6AT --> Alloy Body ---> 10AT + PFDI on all engines.

Silverado:

6AT --> HT Steel body +DI --> 8AT + 10AT --> Alloy Body

Maybe GM doesn't see that much improvement in weight and fuel economy over the HT trucks,

the alloy body also arriving almost four years after Ford is really an anti-climax.

consider the genesis of F150 versus Silverado post BK:

F150:

Ecoboost + 6AT --> Alloy Body ---> 10AT + PFDI on all engines.

Silverado:

6AT --> HT Steel body +DI --> 8AT + 10AT --> Alloy Body + pushrod valve design on all engines.

Maybe GM doesn't see that much improvement in weight and fuel economy over the HT trucks,

the alloy body also arriving almost four years after Ford is really an anti-climax.

FTFY

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

Why do they call them Spy photos when it is set up to take pics? Guy crawling under the truck without the driver saying anything? lol.. I know Ford does it too (sets up "spy photos") but seriously.. calling them spy photos is just stupid.

And I hate the exhaust coming out the bumper. Doesn't look like it belongs.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Generic Motors always has to take a low blow. They can't just make a good product and let it stand for it's self.

I can't say I'm surprised they stuck with steel after that bed commerical. By the way in which the steel bed got cut open as well at least once.

Really the issue of the bed being too weak, isn't a real issue. Now in 250 and up trucks it's possible to be more of an issue for work trucks. However, Ford used thicker aluminum for superduty.

To GM Update your damn trucks and let the market decide. GM guys will always buy silverdildos and Ford guys will always side with F-SERIES. Same goes with RAM.

IMO none of the full size trucks on the market would be a bad buy. Which is great for the consumer.

• Like 1

Why do they call them Spy photos when it is set up to take pics? Guy crawling under the truck without the driver saying anything? lol.. I know Ford does it too (sets up "spy photos") but seriously.. calling them spy photos is just stupid.

And I hate the exhaust coming out the bumper. Doesn't look like it belongs.

It's interesting that the desel has dual exhausts but when you blow up the

underside photos, there's only one forward muffler on the right side,

the same side the Colorado 2.8 I-4.....

Maybe GM is starting the "drip feed" to keep buyers interested, GM has for the most part disparaged

the use of Aluminum for various reasons, now it has to turn around and trll everyone Aluminum done right...

Pdfft, let the propaganda war begin, Ford already has at least three years real world experience building

F series at full production speed, gM still has to show it can get out of the chute cleanly.......

Story I hear is the box is steel, magnet stuck to the quarter panel. The thing is I have compared the weights of various current GM and Ford trucks,and there is little difference in weight. Ford claims they put the body weight savings in other areas to improve the capability of their trucks, but I don't see that really happened either. I am sure the boxed frame of the new Super Duty is heavier than the previous C-channel frame (and far stiffer as well), but GM has had a similar frame under their HD's since 2011.

Not seeing much of an advantage to aluminum. And I have seen some badly torn-up F series bodies in relatively minor accidents too. I would say there isn't any safety issues though.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1496192-alum-body-does-what.html

Edited by 7Mary3

Aluminum cab and steel bed....gonna be a nightmare when it goes to the body shop...I would guess that the box is made of aluminum (in its final version) with the floor of the bed being steel bonded to the box structure to prevent galvanic corrosion...

You bring up a good point. I wonder about the steel firewalls in these Ford aluminum cabs.

Aluminum cab and steel bed....gonna be a nightmare when it goes to the body shop...I would guess that the box is made of aluminum (in its final version) with the floor of the bed being steel bonded to the box structure to prevent galvanic corrosion...

Or maybe think how GM combined a steel floorpan with an aluminum body on the Omega CT6.

I have a hunch that they will do exactly the same thing with the steel bed, weld the aluminum panels to it.

That way, there's no galvanic activity.

One guess is that the coverings were intentionally rounded to throw off the spy picture takers...the top of the wheel arch seems too straight to indicate a rounded wheel opening.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I wasn't saying it'd have rounded openings - just that the corners of the square openings are much more rounded than GM has done recently (which are close to a 90 degree square right now).

• Like 1

Doesn't surprise me that GM is half assing the truck with only going with an Alu Cab and a steel bed...LOL

Yep. I heard that they are half-assing the aluminum intensity. Things like the hood (currently) and door skins will be the aluminum. The rest will be even thinner paper-thin steel.

• Like 1

Yep. I heard that they are half-assing the aluminum intensity. Things like the hood (currently) and door skins will be the aluminum. The rest will be even thinner paper-thin steel.

If so, I don't know how they effectivly seell buyers the idea of mixed construction versus the purity of Ford's Aluminum bodies.

It's like GM has complicated the build process just to win a technical argument to retain stee in areas it sees as benificial

but I do wonder if a lot of that will be lost in translation....it feels like GM is four years late and playing catch up.

You know, that's actually not a bad way of doing it. It avoids steel to aluminum joints, leaves more difficult to repair structural sections (cab corners, rockers, A pillars) and roofs steel, and leaves aluminum for commonly replaced rather than repaired panels. Of course there will be less weight savings.

That having been said I have no idea what GM is planning with their next generation trucks.

If so, I don't know how they effectivly seell buyers the idea of mixed construction versus the purity of Ford's Aluminum bodies.

It's like GM has complicated the build process just to win a technical argument to retain stee in areas it sees as benificial

but I do wonder if a lot of that will be lost in translation....it feels like GM is four years late and playing catch up.

Easy, drop a few more cinder blocks in the back of a Ford pickup!

Seriously, we all know that commercial was bunk, but it really did have an effect.

• Like 1