Elon Musk says Los Angeles is open to using his traffic tunnels

silvrsvt

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/19/elon-musk-los-angeles-boring-company-traffic-tunnels/?hcid=hp-tile-small-2

Anyone else find this to be incredibly stupid? Why not just build a real subway system?

Well, the user would still have their car at the end destination rather than having to walk wherever they're going.......but that would make more sense for cross-city traffic (someone wanting to go through the city but not somewhere in it? Or someone coming from out of the city where this network doesn't service into the city?

At this point in time, Elon Musk could get a feature from like fifty different media outlets with a drawing on a napkin and a random combination of "tube", "electric", "Mars", "solar" and "rocket"

And people wonder how Jonestown happened.

Folks, you're looking right at how it works--only this time with people who fancy themselves much smarter than your typical cult followers.

• Like 1

At this point in time, Elon Musk could get a feature from like fifty different media outlets with a drawing on a napkin and a random combination of "tube", "electric", "Mars", "solar" and "rocket"

Folks, you're looking right at how it works--only this time with people who fancy themselves much smarter than your typical cult followers.

I agree the guy is overhyped, and the tunnel idea is stupid, but... one of the guy's companies is selling 50,000 EVs per year and another company is delivering stuff to the space station on a regular basis, and has figured out how to land rockets back on the ground and reuse them. Just saying he's accomplished a bit more than Jim Jones...

• Like 1

I agree the guy is overhyped, and the tunnel idea is stupid, but... one of the guy's companies is selling 50,000 EVs per year and another company is delivering stuff to the space station on a regular basis, and has figured out how to land rockets back on the ground and reuse them. Just saying he's accomplished a bit more than Jim Jones...

And I've made more money this year working in a factory than he has building cars. Ever. Does that mean I'm more accomplished than him?

• Like 1

And I've made more money this year working in a factory than he has building cars. Ever. Does that mean I'm more accomplished than him?

This ^^^^^^^^^^

It doesn't take that much to build cars and lose money. Creating a company that builds cars and actually turns a profit is something else entirely.

Give him credit for technical innovation but don't label him a successful businessman.

Since PayPal, has he made any money in his business ventures?

PayPal was an accident. He came up with this shotgun blast of a company that was going to provide every banking service imaginable, both between banks and banks and between banks and customers.

The only idea that stuck was PayPal. And having worked with PayPal's APIs and code for over a decade, I can tell you for a fact, it was a poorly written product when Musk had it, and it has not improved.

figured out how to land rockets back on the ground and reuse them

Elon Musk, personally, figured out how to do that? Or did he maybe hire engineers from NASA and their contractors and tell them to help themselves to billions of dollars and millions of man-hours of unpatented, royalty-free, 100% US taxpayer funded research and data?

Sure, you can say, "well if it was so easy, why didn't someone else do it?"

And the answer is because Elon Musk is a coldblooded sociopath who is better at lying than 999 people out of a thousand. He's not a good person, and that, in the end, is who he is, not his cars, not his solar panels, not his rockets--because all of those things were made by other people. Sociopaths succeed in business because business is, ultimately, an amoral pursuit.

When failure is not an option, there is no time for "pretty please with surger on it.

Like I said. People will always find reasons to defend the liars they believe in.

Musk is a serial liar, and here you are with unshakeable confidence in him.

Stop and think about that for a moment.

"He has to lie and cheat! There's no other way to succeed!!!"

https://www.google.com/search?q=musk+mars+rocket&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicj8mtntLUAhXBNj4KHU8HDSgQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=652

No drawing on a napkin, though.

Seriously.

If Elon Musk told people that he had a rocket provisioned and ready to take them to Mars in 2018, you would have thousands of "smart" people lining up and, in fact, fighting, for the opportunity to board that rocket.

And if the whole thing blew up on the launch pad, Musk could probably fill another rocket. And maybe even another one after that before people stopped believing in him.

• Like 2

True Believers

When people who should know better, do the dumbest things and just eat up the hype and charm of a charismatic leader.

This time, the religion is technology and can do spirit is being touted to overcome any perceived object

and woe beget any "luddite" that dare question the plan or motivation.

The Model S is profitable, they're just pouring a bit of money into, you know, scaling up production by a factor of 10, and deploying a global network of high power charging stations. Things that not many other car companies do very often.

It's funny cause in EV crowds, I'm generally seen as a Tesla basher, but you come on here and the hatred is incredible! If this guy's last name was Ford, everybody on here would be fawning all over him.

• Like 1

The Model S is profitable

If this guy's last name was Ford, everybody on here would be fawning all over him.

The Model S is profitable according to a guy who says a million people will be ordering pizza on Mars before 2067.

So, you know.

And Henry Ford did more than Musk will ever do, and he was a deeply flawed person who--after the "peace ship" failure--turned into a rabid anti-Semite, empowered the guy who brought the Mafia into Detroit and more or less killed his own kid.

So yeah, lots of fawning over guys named Ford here--likewise his grandson who almost destroyed Ford by spending the 70s feuding with Lee Iacocca instead of just firing that twerp (serious: Ford had like two of everything by the end of the decade: Lee's car & Hank the Deuce's car).

Edited by RichardJensen