Tesla's real capacity problem? Too many employees

silvrsvt

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/teslas-fremont-plant-doesnt-have-enough-parking-employees-because-plant-so

It’s because in this temple of lean manufacturing, Tesla uses far more workers than NUMMI employed to build far fewer cars. In 1985, its first full year of production, NUMMI had 2,470 employees and produced 64,764 vehicles — about 26 vehicles per worker per year. By 1997, it had 4,844 ​ workers and produced 357,809 vehicles — about 74 vehicles per worker per year.

Tesla, on the other hand, had between 6,000 and 10,000 workers in 2016 and manufactured 83,922 vehicles. That puts its vehicle-per-worker number between 8 and 14, about one-seventh the efficiency of NUMMI at its peak.

FFS!

• Like 1

Tesla is more vertically integrated than regular automakers. That decreases the vehicle per worker number. What other automakers rely on suppliers for, Tesla often does in-house. This makes Tesla the most "American" automaker. https://evannex.com/blogs/news/vertical-integration-how-elon-musk-employs-an-old-successful-approach-in-american-business-at-tesla

First the title, Too many employees.

My son in law had to give up working at Tesla due to a back injury caused be a bicycle accident.

My grandson started working at Tesla several years ago. The last time I saw him was Thanksgiving last year, he looked totally exhausted (about to fall asleep at the dinner table) and I asked him why. He said they're short handed and he has been working 12 hour shifts for some time. I asked him if it was worth it and he showed me his pay check, a very nice number for only 2 weeks work.

Edited by Ron W.

Tesla is more vertically integrated than regular automakers. That decreases the vehicle per worker number. What other automakers rely on suppliers for, Tesla often does in-house. This makes Tesla the most "American" automaker. https://evannex.com/blogs/news/vertical-integration-how-elon-musk-employs-an-old-successful-approach-in-american-business-at-tesla

American workers at the suppliers are less American than Tesla workers?

• Like 1

American workers at the suppliers are less American than Tesla workers?

Not the American workers sir but many of the supplier firms themselves. Companies like Bosch, LG Chem, Denso, Magneti Marelli, etc. are not headquartered in the U.S. That makes them less "American" than U.S. based Tesla even though the supplier firms employ lots of American workers.

Edited by rperez817

Do you, and I ask this in all seriousness, believe that market cap is a valuable measure of the health of a company?

By itself, no sir. Market cap is an important measure but only as a snapshot at a certain point in time. You have to consider other measures too in combination with market cap to understand a company's health. For example working capital to market cap ratio.

By itself, no sir. Market cap is an important measure but only as a snapshot at a certain point in time. You have to consider other measures too in combination with market cap to understand a company's health. For example working capital to market cap ratio.

You're delusional. What was GMs market cap when they went bankrupt?

• Like 1

what would I have said back in 2012 if somebody told me that in 5 years, every thread about Tesla on this site would be half-filled with people reassuring themselves that Ford is probably still worth more than Tesla?

It'd be really interesting to compare Tesla's manufacturing efficiency specifically to Ford's plug-in vehicles. I'm considering buying a Focus Electric (only thing holding me back is the trunk space) and it's taking its sweet time to work its way down the pipeline. Probably harder to compare since they share an assembly line with the other powertrains.

what would I have said back in 2012 if somebody told me that in 5 years, every thread about Tesla on this site would be half-filled with people reassuring themselves that Ford is probably still worth more than Tesla?

We've been grouching about Ford's market cap since I signed up in like 2004.

As i understand it, market Cap is purely last trade value multiplied by number of shares.

It says nothing to assets, profits, debts, current production and orders.

in that respect, market Cap is absolutely zero guide to company health

but 100% about investor sentiment regarding returns.

I would sooner have Ford's market cap, quarterly profits and $28 Billion in cash and cash equivealents

than Tesla's higher Market cap, main income from carbon credits and sale of new stock.

Even Adam Jonas is coming to see that Tesla is selling little more than "Magic Beans",

the rest of the market can't be too far behind...

Edited by jpd80