Nissan goes standard on automated braking

jasonj80

Can this be turned off easily? What size objects will cause it to brake?

I am sure there are situations where this could cause issues.

What if I need to run over some traffic cones to avoid being plowed into from behind?

What if I am driving and a plastic bag blows in front of the sensor? Will it make me brake suddenly?

• Like 1

What if I need to run over some traffic cones to avoid being plowed into from behind?

What if I am driving and a plastic bag blows in front of the sensor? Will it make me brake suddenly?

In the systems I've driven cones and such wouldn't trigger the system, and yes usually there is a button that will disable the system. Looks like a car with an arrow and a star.

safety-driverassist1.png

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

Here's what the 2017 Nissan Altima owners manual says about the FEB system:

FEBNissan_zpsjiheekuy.jpg

• Like 1

My wife's Fusion has this system (though differently named). I couldn't tell you how it works, as I turned it off as soon as we took the car home. :)

Ford Fusion didn't offer automatic emergency braking until 2017 model year. 2013 - 2016 Fusion had adaptive cruise control and forward collision alert as options, but did not include auto brake. 2017 Fusions with adaptive cruise control added auto brake and pedestrian detection functions to the forward collision alert it had in previous years.

2017 Fusion and MKZ are the only Ford vehicles that are IIHS Top Safety Picks. This is due in part to the new AEB system in those cars. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

My wife's Fusion has this system (though differently named). I couldn't tell you how it works, as I turned it off as soon as we took the car home. :)

It's collision warning and it saved my butt one afternoon in stop and go traffic when I zoned out for a second. The only time it goes off unnecessarily is if there is a left turn lane with cars and the road curves back to the right - it thinks the stopped cars are in my path.

Edited by akirby

Ford Fusion didn't offer automatic emergency braking until 2017 model year. 2013 - 2016 Fusion had adaptive cruise control and forward collision alert as options, but did not include auto brake. 2017 Fusions with adaptive cruise control added auto brake and pedestrian detection functions to the forward collision alert it had in previous years.

2017 Fusion and MKZ are the only Ford vehicles that are IIHS Top Safety Picks. This is due in part to the new AEB system in those cars. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

You are correct, sir. I went back and read the manual, and the system I have pre-charges the brakes ("Brake Support"), but it doesn't apply them.

It's collision warning and it saved my butt one afternoon in stop and go traffic when I zoned out for a second. The only time it goes off unnecessarily is if there is a left turn lane with cars and the road curves back to the right - it thinks the stopped cars are in my path.

I had to turn the sensitivity down... it was on "high" when we got the car. Now it's on "normal" and it's a lot less intrusive. (Didn't turn it off like I had originally stated.)

• Like 1