F-350 vs F-250 production time

I have a question on the production time difference between the F-250 and the F-350, It seems that the F-350 can take as much as 4 weeks longer to arrive at the dealership than the F-250, is this just circumstantial or is there a valid reason for the perceived time difference.

I know that different options ordered on a truck can increase or decrease the build time, like adding a bed liner or special wheels, but what else may cause a delay?

The main reason I am asking is because I have ordered a new F-350 DRW with bed liner, two-tone paint, snow plow/camper package, FX4 off-road, Lariat Ultimate, Tow Technology, 5th wheel / Gooseneck, 4:10 rear Diff, and a few other things. What if any of these thing is going to make my wait longer.

I was in hopes of having the new truck for the end of July for a trip we have planned, but my dealer is saying maybe not until mid August. Seeing how this is an F-350 I can't use the COTUS web tool to track the buid, I am blind to the build and delivery dates.

Do you have a VIN yet? I can check on dates.

If I had to guess, the bed liner and gooseneck might add time to the build. They are probably sent to an offline upfit shop after the vehicle is assembled.

Pioneer thank you for responding.

The VIN I got from the dealer is: VIN 1FT8W3DT1HEE16516

The gooseneck is installed during production. The bedliner is sent to an outside company. From what I've seen, expect an extra week for the bedliner to be done. Also we will be down for the first 2 weeks of July. The good news is that we have upped our production.

The gooseneck is installed during production. The bedliner is sent to an outside company. From what I've seen, expect an extra week for the bedliner to be done. Also we will be down for the first 2 weeks of July. The good news is that we have upped our production.

Do you know if the production has increased on the F-350 line or is that mainly on the F-250 line? I know of several folks that order 250's and they are seeing a 4 to 5 week turn round, but people that ordered 350's are really frustrated with the 10-16 week wait times.

I myself ordered a 350 DRW and based on the est delivery date from my dealer the truck will not arrive in time for my vacation trip July 29 thru Aug 13.

Thanks for building me a great truck waloud!

Do you know if the production has increased on the F-350 line or is that mainly on the F-250 line? I know of several folks that order 250's and they are seeing a 4 to 5 week turn round, but people that ordered 350's are really frustrated with the 10-16 week wait times.

I myself ordered a 350 DRW and based on the est delivery date from my dealer the truck will not arrive in time for my vacation trip July 29 thru Aug 13.

They all come down the same line from my understanding. I ordered my F350 (SRW, not dually) on 1/31, it was built on 2/23, delivered to dealer here in central MO on 3/20 after sitting at a train yard for 10 days. Took longer to ship it than it took to build it. Maybe duallies take longer to ship due to how they fit on the transporters?

As waloud mentioned, the bedliner does take extra time, so if you are in a rush, you may skip that and have one sprayed locally. Well, if you have a VIN, it may be too late for that now.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

The truck isn't going to be built until the week of July 17th, which would be the week after our 2 week summer shutdown. The exact day isn't scheduled yet. ETA to the dealer is the first week of August.

Your dealer kind of screwed you. The priority on the order is 19, the lowest you can put on a special order. The best being 10.

I will say this. You got a VIN pretty quick. Ordered on May 31st and assigned a VIN and build week the very next day.

They all come down the same line from my understanding. I ordered my F350 (SRW, not dually) on 1/31, it was built on 2/23, delivered to dealer here in central MO on 3/20 after sitting at a train yard for 10 days. Took longer to ship it than it took to build it. Maybe duallies take longer to ship due to how they fit on the transporters?

As waloud mentioned, the bedliner does take extra time, so if you are in a rush, you may skip that and have one sprayed locally. Well, if you have a VIN, it may be too late for that now.

Based on the build reports in COTUS for many people on the https://www.ford-trucks.com/ Forum the spay in liner is only taking 1 day to get done and the truck is then moved into shipping status.

I have a bad feeling that my being way up in Maine is going to really delay the shipping. With that I guess the old 2500 Duramax is going to be making one last long trip before I trade it. I sure hope this doesn't hose the trade quote I got from the dealer toward the new 350.

Based on the build reports in COTUS for many people on the https://www.ford-trucks.com/ Forum the spay in liner is only taking 1 day to get done and the truck is then moved into shipping status.

I have a bad feeling that my being way up in Maine is going to really delay the shipping. With that I guess the old 2500 Duramax is going to be making one last long trip before I trade it. I sure hope this doesn't hose the trade quote I got from the dealer toward the new 350.

COTUS is very unreliable. Don't take it as gospel.

The truck isn't going to be built until the week of July 17th, which would be the week after our 2 week summer shutdown. The exact day isn't scheduled yet. ETA to the dealer is the first week of August.

Your dealer kind of screwed you. The priority on the order is 19, the lowest you can put on a special order. The best being 10.

I will say this. You got a VIN pretty quick. Ordered on May 31st and assigned a VIN and build week the very next day.

Is there a way to change the priority one the order is placed and has a build date?

It shouldn't affect the trade quote since it was a quote. If they say anything, just mention the priority of 19 that Pioneer mentioned.

COTUS is very unreliable. Don't take it as gospel.

Agreed. My truck never even showed up (or at least I couldn't get to it) in COTUS.

Is there a way to change the priority one the order is placed and has a build date?

It only makes a difference if there are other special orders in the dealer's pipeline that have lower priorities already. When the dealer gets allocation the lowest priority vehicle gets scheduled first. If more than one have the same priority and there isn't enough allocation to build all of them then it goes by order date. Your dealer knows exactly what, if anything, is ahead of you in queue (stock vehicles are 20+ so that shouldn't be an issue). Whether they'll tell you or be honest about it is another question, but I would talk to the sales manager, explain your situation and ask if lowering the priority would get it built sooner.

I doubt having it changed now, if possible since it already has a VIN, would have any effect considering we are coming up on a 2 week summer shutdown.

I sure hope this doesn't hose the trade quote I got from the dealer toward the new 350.

It shouldn't affect your trade. I put a few thousand miles on my last Raptor after my trade value was set, because my order was taking so long. It was a non-issue for me.

Edited by tbone

Thanks for building me a great truck waloud!

The DRW Super Duty units are always a problem for the car carriers as they can only load one on each trailer in the last spot on the lower deck. It also depends on the size of the company, how many rigs they have in their fleet and the volume of vehicles being sent to a dealership.

• Like 1

Believe that that priority code would come into play in the final negotiations! What a shame you won't have it in time...

I'm not to sure there will be any further negotiations beyond the incentives and rebates, it took me over 2 months to get the dealer to the price I have quoted...

I was wondering if there was a remote chance that the build date would be moved up to prior to the 2 week shut down?

I won't say it's impossible since I don't entirely know how scheduling works, but it's highly unlikely. Most I can recall seeing a build moved up by is a few days.